Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2022 9:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
The Antis snuck in a provision in H-7457 that requires the potential ammo buyer to present an RI "Blue Card" in order to do so.

Complete Text of 11-37-64

ETA: 31 DEC 2022 is last date for ammo purchase without an RI Blue Card or RI Hunter Education Course card.  Since the cards are made out for an individual, proof of identity will likely also be required.  I've revised many of my comments in this thread to correct my erroneous statements, so please review; my apologies.

My new Blue Card just arrived; took about 10 days from test to receipt.  Suggest you either find your old one or get your new one now.  Suggest you get it laminated, as you are going to need it more nowadays.

May be wrong, but there does not appear to be any language prohibiting Citizens of other States from applying for, and receiving, either the "Blue Card" or the card for Basic Hunter Safety Course.  IOW, such citizens from other States may, if they have proper document(s), be able to buy ammo in RI.

See 11-47-35 For Blue Card info.  See below for Hunter Safety Course info.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised you hadn't seen that part man .

Because they said you needed to be 21 to buy ammo , along with long gun purchases - so fucking retarded all of this , it seemed irrelevant to need a blue card .  So it was brought up about people who may not have their card anymore , old or CCW . . , if they are over 21 what was the point ?
They outright said that they were implementing a new system with the DEM to keep 'better track' of the cards - essentially a registration . . . so they would be requiring the card .

Not sure how online shit is gonna work out yet - will find out today .

I'm really very very upset with our state and the shit they just pulled - hoping the Supreme Court shit will 86 all this however that might take time , if even so .
Other than that fuck them , and I'm bordering saying the same about still living here . . . and I absolutely love it here and honestly had never planned on leaving .  
There is obviously way too much corruption and scumbag political $$ and shit - THAT IS COMPLETELY OUT IN THE OPEN BECAUSE THEY COME RIGHT OUT AND SAY IT ! - and it's making me question my families future here .
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DieselII:

Because they said you needed to be 21 to buy ammo , along with long gun purchases - so fucking retarded all of this , it seemed irrelevant to need a blue card .  So it was brought up about people who may not have their card anymore , old or CCW . . , if they are over 21 what was the point ?
They outright said that they were implementing a new system with the DEM to keep 'better track' of the cards - essentially a registration . . . so they would be requiring the card .

I'm really very very upset with our state and the shit they just pulled - hoping the Supreme Court shit will 86 all this however that might take time , if even so .
Other than that fuck them , and I'm bordering saying the same about still living here . . . and I absolutely love it here and honestly had never planned on leaving .  
There is obviously way too much corruption and scumbag political $$ and shit - THAT IS COMPLETELY OUT IN THE OPEN BECAUSE THEY COME RIGHT OUT AND SAY IT ! - and it's making me question my families future here .
View Quote
I can't see everything, and had my eye on other things I thought were more important overall.

FWIW, my new "Blue Card" is not serialized, and aside from the date issued and my name, is identical to all other Blue Cards, including my old ones, which i subsequently found.

Agreed that online ammo sales might be affected--or not.  IDK.

New law says: "(b) No person, firm or corporation shall sell ammunition to any person unless such person is twenty-one (21) years of age or older and holds a valid pistol/revolver safety certificate issued by the department of environmental management"

It's possible that some online sellers might require  same-page, front and back copies of the Blue Card and RI Driver's license, which is all that's required by new RI Law, as well as 'signing" a statement that the "buyer certifies above info to be true and valid, etc., etc.".  Such things have been done before; After all, the law, as written, is not an outright ban of online ammo sales.

Possibly some internet firms will just forego selling ammo in RI.  Others may not be bothered at all.  I reckon that it will take some time for most online ammo sellers to become aware of the new RI Laws, and to figure out their response to them.

Time will tell.

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By raf:
I can't see everything, and had my eye on other things I thought were more important overall.

FWIW, my new "Blue Card" is not serialized, and aside from the date issued and my name, is identical to all other Blue Cards, including my old ones, which i subsequently found.

Agreed that online ammo sales might be affected--or not.  IDK.  It's possible that some online sellers might require front and back copies of the Blue Card and RI Driver's license, and possibly some will just forego selling ammo in RI.  Others may not be bothered at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed that online ammo sales might be affected--or not.  IDK.  It's possible that some online sellers might require front and back copies of the Blue Card and RI Driver's license, and possibly some will just forego selling ammo in RI.  Others may not be bothered at all.
I understand completely man - plus they way they do shit it's not easy to keep up with everything . .

My blue card is the same as I've had it for so long , my hunter safety card as well is so old !

This is why it made no sense to require a blue card of you're over 21 and was questioned , so the way they made it sound was the new cards - with their new system - won't be the same and they will be keeping track .  Just my opinion on that , however they way they were talking about seemed to be laying out the grounds for a database .
Will they require we get new cards ?? sure sounded to me like that was the plan .
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:45:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#4]
I understand completely man - plus they way they do shit it's not easy to keep up with everything . .

My blue card is the same as I've had it for so long , my hunter safety card as well is so old !

This is why it made no sense to require a blue card of you're over 21 and was questioned , so the way they made it sound was the new cards - with their new system - won't be the same and they will be keeping track .  Just my opinion on that , however they way they were talking about seemed to be laying out the grounds for a database .
Will they require we get new cards ?? sure sounded to me like that was the plan .
View Quote

No current requirement in the new Law to get "new" Blue Cards or Basic Hunter Safety certificates.

ETA: Existing State-issued documents are OK, at least at present.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:52:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DieselII] [#5]

No current requirement in the new Law to get "new" Blue Cards or Basic Hunter Safety certificates.
View All Quotes

The way that 'woman' made it sound was their 'new system' was not in play as of yet .
Because otherwise what is the point of the need for one ?

One more shady stunt these assholes are pulling - wasting resources and tax $$ to do shit behind the scenes that only they know about . . .
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The way that 'woman' made it sound was their 'new system' was not in play as of yet .

One more shady stunt these assholes are pulling - wasting resources and tax $$ to do shit behind the scenes that only they know about . . .
View All Quotes

I fully understand your concerns.  Any "new" system of issuing Blue Cards or Hunter Safety Cards is likely to require new State legislation to change existing Laws.  Unfortunately for the Antis, the rules surrounding such "changes" got tougher to impliment, thanks to recent SCOTUS decision.

I could add much more, but this is a public forum, and I don't want to give the Antis any ideas.

I hope you understand my being discreet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't walk in and buy ammo when I'm around?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:19:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#8]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:
I can't walk in and buy ammo when I'm around?
View Quote

ETA: Until 31 DEC 2022, you can buy ammo in RI without a "Blue Card" or Hunter Safety Certificate.  After that, no.

No penalties for trying, AFAIK.      

There are penalties involved for violating the law.  "Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a felony and may be punished by up to five (5) years imprisonment and/or a five thousand dollar ($5,000) fine."

No Lawyer, but "Any Person" could mean seller, buyer, or both, depending on how the law is interpreted.

It might be possible for you to take the Blue Card safety test at local gun store and have the RI Dept of Environmental Management mail you the Blue Card.   Turnaround for BC was about 2 weeks.  No expert, but AFAIK nothing in RI State Law saying Blue Card or Hunter Safety Certificate is restricted to RI citizens.   See 11-47-35 for Blue Card info.

See for Hunter Safety Course Info
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#9]
You can walk in and buy ammo until December,
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:15:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#10]
Originally Posted By Mechanic217:
You can walk in and buy ammo until December,
View Quote
The "Blue Card" requirements are already in effect.  This is the last line in the Bill linked in post above:

"SECTION 4. This act shall take effect upon passage."  Nothing in this bill about December.  Maybe you are thinking of the RI Mag Ban Law, which takes effect in December 2022.

Strictly speaking, the law took effect when Gov Mckee signed it

I was wrong, and 31 Dec 2022 is the pertinent date:  Complete Text of Law As Enacted

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The "Blue Card" requirements are already in effect.  This is the last line in the Bill linked in post above:

"SECTION 4. This act shall take effect upon passage."  Nothing in this bill about December.  Maybe you are thinking of the RI Mag Ban Law, which takes effect in December 2022.

View Quote

D&L sends emails multiple times a week about the Blue Card requirement to buy ammo starting after December 2022.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 8:13:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#12]
Originally Posted By DrVenkman87:

D&L sends emails multiple times a week about the Blue Card requirement to buy ammo starting after December 2022.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrVenkman87:

I was wrong; see my post above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top