Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2019 11:58:22 AM EDT
Someone sent me this petition, apparently they are going to be closing the range to the public.

Please sign the petition.

http://chng.it/tHSh66Sxds
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Specifically this is the Wake County Firearms Education Center that is closing to the public.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
New article from the Raleigh N&O.

Did Wake sheriff move too quickly to close shooting range to the public?

And Wake County BoC Chairman Ford's comment on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/gregfordnc/posts/3053138471382814
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for posting that we should all write to Glen Ford to let him know we would like it kept open.  even easier   you can message him from the facebook page
I live about 10 minutes away and use it often.  It would be a real shame to lose  an  indoor 100 yard range.  The next closet to  is 37psr and that is outdoors.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New article from the Raleigh N&O.

Did Wake sheriff move too quickly to close shooting range to the public?

And Wake County BoC Chairman Ford's comment on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/gregfordnc/posts/3053138471382814
View Quote
And an interesting update to the story above from the N&O yesterday afternoon.

This story was updated at 5 p.m. Friday.

Wake County will take control of the county's firearms training center away from the Wake County Sheriff's Office.

The county will determine the "appropriate balance of use between the public and law enforcement," according to a memo sent to Sheriff Gerald Baker Friday afternoon from Wake County Manager David Ellis.

"We will work with you and your staff on a transition plan to ensure law enforcement has the appropriate use of and continued access to this facility for training purposes," the memo said.

The Sheriff's Office abruptly ended its contract with Range Safety Management (RSM) because of the company's "lack of profitability" and cash handling concerns, according to a Wednesday news release from the Sheriff's Office. RSM manages the part of the center that is open to the public.

More than 5,000 people signed a petition to keep the center open to the public.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Signed.  Over 6600 signed so far.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
LATEST UPDATE

received this via email.  I am not the source.

By now I’m sure you have heard that public access to WCFETC is closed.  The last day was this past Tuesday.  I’m writing to provide you with an update on what we know, some of the open issues, and our next steps.
What we know:
1)The range is closed TEMPORARLY.  Indications from the Wake Commissioners is that they support some form of public access but this this is far from guaranteed.
2)The Wake Commissioners are in conversation with NC Wildlife to take over management of at least the public part of the facility.
3)We don’t know when public access will reopen or what the scheduled days and times will be.  At Monday’s Commissioners working session, the NCW representative expressed hope of reopening public access within 60 days.
4)At the working session, there was no discussion regarding the education programs, leagues, or special events.  Judging by the other ranges that NCW runs, these activities may in in jeopardy.
5)The Commissioners authorized NCW to hire a consultant to take a hard look at facility operations and recommend changes to best accommodate all interests.
6)At the working session, it was clear from the Commissioners comments that WCSO and law enforcement take priority over public access.
What we are doing:
1)Several of our group of concerned citizens will be attending the upcoming Tuesday 1/21 Commissioners meeting at 2pm.  At that meeting they will present rebuttals to the plan and stress that cutting public hours and programs is not in the interest of the WCFETC members and students.
2)We will be attempting to contact the decision makers within NCW to offer our assistance in reopening the public access and provide the staff to support the public programs.  IMPORTANT: IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMEONE WITHIN NC WILDLIFE AND CAN MAKE AN INTRODUCTION, PLEASE EMAIL ME!!!
Thanks for your continuing support as we work through this issue.  Feel free to reach out with any questions and I will respond as quickly as possible.

John Neblett
WCFETC Instructor and Range Officer
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Set to reopen on March 15th. New hours will be Friday and Monday 5p-9p and Saturday-Sunday 9a-7p.

Law enforcement will have access Monday-Friday during the day and Tuesday-Thursday evenings.

https://savethewakerange.blogspot.com/2020/02/update-21220-video-and-half-loaf.html?m=0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top