Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2018 11:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D6T]
Does anyone know about some proposed bill about waiting periods? I don’t see anything about it on here, though I don’t belong to any other local forums.

My wife and her friends are all upset because of some alleged bill being written for a waiting period on purchases. She couldn’t provide me with any concrete details, just hearsay. The womens’ defense types are all discussing and plotting whom to contact about it as I sit here. It sounds like someone (a child?!?!) purchased a gun and then committed suicide, and that some brilliant minds think that there’s no other way the person could have possibly killed him or herself and therefore the ability to purchase guns must be the cause.

Anyone have any more info

Edit to add: I checked the Gun Owners of Vermont website and did a quick online search for “Vermont gun bill” for items posted within the last 24 hours, but have found nothing.

And adding some more: After some reflection and asking my wife the glaring golden question in this, and not being sure of an answer, I will share my thoughts. Understand that I don’t take anything for face value and I examine details and what is not said as well as what’s said, in every situation in life. So my question becomes...what do “they” wish to happen during the proposed waiting period? My wife doesn’t know and I cautioned her not to focus too hard on the overall issue, but also to make the proponents of this bill address the issue in public. Let’s say this becomes a law. I want to buy a gun. What happens? Do I need to purchase, then the retailer holds onto it while I go and pay out of pocket for a psychiatric evaluation, then perhaps take the paperwork to some kind of judicial approval board that then tells the retailer to release my gun to me? That’s what I imagine is most likely. All out of my own pocket I’m sure. Or will I need to be interviewed by some kind of approval board or appointed magistrate who grants the go/no go on the purchase? In-depth background check? Request for medical records? Interviews with family and friends?

God forbid this is real and gets passed, we need to put things in the spotlight so the supporters of the bill can’t hide their ideas. Loudly question what draconian measures will need to take place during the waiting period; who will pay for it, and how it will work. Don’t ignore the details that aren’t mentioned!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RamaSita] [#1]
A kid from Essex just killed himself and his family is pushing for legislation...let me find a link for you
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.burlingtonfreepress.com/amp/2286926002
@d6t
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
24 hour for handguns has passed senate
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D6T] [#3]
wesmerc, thank you, I didn't realize that. I will look into it and write to my elected representatives this weekend.

Once again, and I hate to sound like I am lecturing, but I've been working in law enforcement for 25 years and have found that often times what is not said will tell more than what is being said, so I ask again...is anyone questioning what will happen during these proposed waiting periods and who will pay for it?

Do not focus on the issue of waiting itself, and only that issue! We need to also ask ourselves those questions. Seek answers to what has not been said yet.

And once more, I believe that whatever it is (in-depth background check and/or psych eval is what I am betting on), the potential firearm purchaser is the one who will be paying for it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
A women in NJ was killed while waiting for a gun license.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By D6T:

After some reflection and asking my wife the glaring golden question in this, and not being sure of an answer, I will share my thoughts. Understand that I don’t take anything for face value and I examine details and what is not said as well as what’s said, in every situation in life. So my question becomes...what do “they” wish to happen during the proposed waiting period? My wife doesn’t know and I cautioned her not to focus too hard on the overall issue, but also to make the proponents of this bill address the issue in public. Let’s say this becomes a law. I want to buy a gun. What happens? Do I need to purchase, then the retailer holds onto it while I go and pay out of pocket for a psychiatric evaluation, then perhaps take the paperwork to some kind of judicial approval board that then tells the retailer to release my gun to me? That’s what I imagine is most likely. All out of my own pocket I’m sure. Or will I need to be interviewed by some kind of approval board or appointed magistrate who grants the go/no go on the purchase? In-depth background check? Request for medical records? Interviews with family and friends?

God forbid this is real and gets passed, we need to put things in the spotlight so the supporters of the bill can’t hide their ideas. Loudly question what draconian measures will need to take place during the waiting period; who will pay for it, and how it will work. Don’t ignore the details that aren’t mentioned!!
View Quote
I know it’s poor etiquette to quote one’s own post, but I had to.

Wife reports that this measure passed the House today.

Folks, I’ve lived in Massachusetts during two evolutions of firearms law changes. I’ve lived in other states with both proposed and completed laws. Crap like this leads to worse changes down the road. We’ve seen it in Vermont during the last couple years.

We need people to not just write and call in opposition to these laws, but also to draw attention to the politicians behind them. Demand an explanation of what is supposed to happen during a waiting period and who is supposed to pay for it. Read my post I quoted above. Do not take this for face value! Question the hows and whys of the events during the proposed waiting period. Think outside the box and don’t accept the simple answer of “wait and see.” I’ve discussed this with co-workers and we all agree that people aren’t taking this seriously enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top