Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanker06] [#1]
Originally Posted By mountaineerbull:
martinsburg  wv checking in

You'll have to try and make the next 'eat & greet' that we try to have on
a fairly regular basis.

The last few have been either at the King's Pizza in Ranson, beside the DMV,
or at John's Restaurant in Rippon, on 340, down near the VA/WV line.

There are quite a few of us in the area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BCM45:
Originally Posted By Clack:
Recently relocated to Charleston WV from SC here.

I am about 30 mins west of you in Harrisville and I shoot at Mountwood state park frequently.

Im still learning my way around. Is it a crowded range?
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It can be.... There is one or two "experts" that hang out collecting brass but other than that it is not bad. Look for me if you go on the weekends I will usually have a Glock 21 and a GSG-5 and once in a while an ak in green and black. If you can tolerate the "experts" and don't mind waiting sometimes you'll like it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Beckley, WV in Raleigh County
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Martinsburg here! Typically shoot during the week at 340 defense, once or twice a month.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Elkview, here,well kinda i'm deployed in support of OIF.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Elkview, here,well kinda i'm deployed in support of OIF.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Inwood, Berkeley county here.

Newbie to the AR world but have been shooting for 40+ years, mostly handguns.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Morgantown and Boone County here, depending on the time of the year with school and work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Craddock:
Morgantown and Boone County here, depending on the time of the year with school and work.

Morgantown here too.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Huntington/Charleston area.  Looking for somewhere to shoot besides Beech Fork on the huntington end...

Considering chief cornstalk wma, anyone know anything about it?  got good directions to it, or recommend for or against the range itself?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JudgeX:
Huntington/Charleston area.  Looking for somewhere to shoot besides Beech Fork on the huntington end...

Considering chief cornstalk wma, anyone know anything about it?  got good directions to it, or recommend for or against the range itself?

There's a nice club over in Cattletsburg. It's $70 first year, $50 every year after that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Stangman2v:

There's a nice club over in Cattletsburg. It's $70 first year, $50 every year after that.

That's cool, I don't really like the idea of a club though...  seems like there would always be other club members there trying to get their money's worth... also, one of them that I looked at said they had to meet you and "see how you handled guns" and decide if they would admit you.  What a bag of horse turds that policy is.  Yeah man, I juggle guns and keep my finger on the trigger at all times, and i like to sweep the benches with the business end of my AK from time to time while I make cheesy "Rat-a-tat-tat" noises with my mouth.  I'm not paying anyone a single dollar that doesn't give me the damned benefit of the doubt at least on par with what the government does.

I'm more interested in finding a not so frequently visited public shooting place... beech fork is bumpin'... I've been there about 10 times and only once I think was I alone because it was raining.

I highly prefer to shoot alone or as close to alone as possible... (I sometimes fire shots in rapid succession in ways that seemingly offend the old timers, even though my groupings are still decent)
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stangman2v] [#14]

That's cool, I don't really like the idea of a club though...  seems like there would always be other club members there trying to get their money's worth... also, one of them that I looked at said they had to meet you and "see how you handled guns" and decide if they would admit you.  What a bag of horse turds that policy is.  Yeah man, I juggle guns and keep my finger on the trigger at all times, and i like to sweep the benches with the business end of my AK from time to time while I make cheesy "Rat-a-tat-tat" noises with my mouth.  I'm not paying anyone a single dollar that doesn't give me the damned benefit of the doubt at least on par with what the government does.

I'm more interested in finding a not so frequently visited public shooting place... beech fork is bumpin'... I've been there about 10 times and only once I think was I alone because it was raining.

I highly prefer to shoot alone or as close to alone as possible... (I sometimes fire shots in rapid succession in ways that seemingly offend the old timers, even though my groupings are still decent)

Every time that I've gone I've either been completely alone or there have been one or 2 people there, but I do go in the middle of the week though. They have several different ranges, so if you want to be by yourself you can just move on down the road to the next one. I heard that they just bought more land & are going for a 1000yd range. They also have ponds & trails if you want to fish or go hiking (it's a game reserve). All they do is make you fill out a small questionnaire & send them a check & you'll get your key card for the gates a few weeks later.

I'm like that too, in that  I prefer fewer people around, & this place has always been good for me. It's your call though. IMO, it's worth checking out so you don't have to drive forever to get somewhere. Here's a website if you want to check it out.

http://www.nekfg.com/index.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Every time that I've gone I've either been completely alone or there have been one or 2 people there, but I do go in the middle of the week though. They have several different ranges, so if you want to be by yourself you can just move on down the road to the next one. I heard that they just bought more land & are going for a 1000yd range. They also have ponds & trails if you want to fish or go hiking (it's a game reserve). All they do is make you fill out a small questionnaire & send them a check & you'll get your key card for the gates a few weeks later.

I'm like that too, in that  I prefer fewer people around, & this place has always been good for me. It's your call though. IMO, it's worth checking out so you don't have to drive forever to get somewhere. Here's a website if you want to check it out.

Wow that's closer than i expected...

Very tempting, but, does that mean I have to pay for a membership for both myself and my fiance?  Or can you bring a guest?  It says this in the rules:
" 5)      NEKFG club members are responsible for the conduct of all guests they host on the club property. Guests may use the club facilities one time. Any future use of the facility will require the purchase of a full NEKFG club membership."

So you can't bring someone along more than once even if they don't have their own guns or anything?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Wow that's closer than i expected...

Very tempting, but, does that mean I have to pay for a membership for both myself and my fiance?  Or can you bring a guest?  It says this in the rules:
" 5)      NEKFG club members are responsible for the conduct of all guests they host on the club property. Guests may use the club facilities one time. Any future use of the facility will require the purchase of a full NEKFG club membership."

So you can't bring someone along more than once even if they don't have their own guns or anything?

Never had any issues with that ever. As a matter of fact I've never even been asked to show a membership card. They're good people there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm from Charleston myself.

Kanawha state forest has a great little range. 100 or 150 meters, I'm not sure. It can get kinda packed on the weekends, but during the day through the week its relatively empty.

Theres also a great little range in Montgomery about 40 minutes east of charleston where WV Tech is located. its out of the way, but sometimes i go there just because its deserted. the last time i saw another person there was about 3 years ago. i think the older folks who know of its existence are starting to thin out. you take a left at the end of morris drive. google is your friend on finding it.

ive been wondering where the closest indoor range is to charleston, maybe someone could help me out?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#18]
new member checking in from Inwood, WV.  moved here in april, looking to meet other gun nuts & find good places to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rscottdrysdale:
new member checking in from Inwood, WV.  moved here in april, looking to meet other gun nuts & find good places to shoot.

Well, you're in a pretty heavily armed area of the state ........WELCOME!!!

Keep an eye out for our Meet & Greets, range trips and just local 'fun'...whether it be pokin fun at our neighboring anti-gun states or our pink thong wearing members....oh, wait, that's me....or Turnskull...depends on the weekend.

Not a lot of places to shoot over here, I'm sure you've figured out by now.  Valley Guns underground, the Cove in Gore, VA and the newest addition GlockCop's range up on the hill.  $35yr and $5hr to shoot, a few of us have ponied up already. Right now only the Cove offers rifle shooting, but GlockCop is promising a 400yd range come springtime.  They're also offering adult supervision....which you probably missed out on the need for at Sleepy Creek.  If you've never been shot at or near missed....you'd never made it to Sleepy Creek. Hopefully someday they'll re-open it.

Welcome to the zoo, visiting hours are 12:00 to 12:05, please keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times and objects in your mirror probably already passed you.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#20]

You also need to join the West Virginia Citizens Defense League, the premier gun rights organization in this state.  Check out their forums also as there are many folks from the eastern panhandle who post.

Too bad you didn't wander in a few weeks ago as WVCDL's first open carry lunch in the eastern panhandle was last month.  Huge success!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Another Inwoodian here, welcome. There is also the Izzak Walton (IWLA) range in Jefferson county. It is a
membership only range. You can now join any month of the year at the monthly meeting, a new policy.  
If interested shoot me an IM, Next meeting is the 21st, dinner (4 bucks) at 1800 meeting to follow. I'm planning on
going to sponsor 2 other board members.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#22]
new member checking in from Inwood, WV.  moved here in April, looking to meet other gun nuts & find good places to shoot.

From where?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By millerized:
Well, you're in a pretty heavily armed area of the state ........WELCOME!!!

Keep an eye out for our Meet & Greets, range trips and just local 'fun'...whether it be pokin fun at our neighboring anti-gun states or our pink thong wearing members....oh, wait, that's me....or Turnskull...depends on the weekend.

cool.  unfortunately, i was thoroughly disarmed by the people's republic of maryland back in 2000.  had carry permits (& armed security training & permits) since i was 18 in other states.  moved to MD and couldn't get a permit.  registered all my NFA stuff, applied again, denied again.  carried anyway.  got caught, jailed on $700,000 bond.  lost all my guns.  gun rights still ok at this point.

a few years later in PA, i got arrested wearing a belt buckle that looked like a brass knuckle, which i thought was a cool biker/redneck fashion statement, besides being the only non-broken buckle i had left.  in prison for 14 months before trial.  misdemeanor "prohibited offensive weapon" charge.  public pretender tells me the max i can get is 23 months, so i'm cool.  turns out the charge carries a max of 5 years, so goodbye gun rights thanks to mr. lautenberg.

i've got an 1858 remington clone and a .45LC conversion cylinder.  awaiting 2nd 1858, and i plan to carry them exposed :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
You also need to join the West Virginia Citizens Defense League, the premier gun rights organization in this state.

way ahead of you there.  sent the check a couple weeks ago (still hasn't been deposited).  mike sent me here :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:43:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rscottdrysdale] [#25]
Originally Posted By MikeSH:
new member checking in from Inwood, WV.  moved here in April, looking to meet other gun nuts & find good places to shoot.

From where?

massachusetts, vermont, massachusetts, connecticut, maryland, pennsylvania, florida, pennsylvania, maryland, pennsylvania, maryland.

florida was US navy.

i HATE maryland, but i keep getting good jobs there.  now doing a 56 mile each way commute to germantown, which is actually kinda nice when the harley's running.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok-right place now.

'Ello form Bellville WV,Wood county,guy from the West who moved here sometime ago.

BTW in my twenty years here why is it West Virginia? if anything the place is facing North! since we're ABOVE Virginia.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, why not call it NW VA?

I always found it funny that an East coast state was admitted to the union after Calif.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, why not call it NW VA?

Someone already did something close....called it NoVA...look how that turned out

I always found it funny that an East coast state was admitted to the union after Calif.

Amazing how history books don't exist west of DC. Since history is no longer taught in schools, seems like our lawmakers the only ones thinking about their past
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#29]
No, I know the history and why Calif. got admitted b4 WV, it just strikes me funny. History books do exist
West of DC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#30]
No, I know the history and why Calif. got admitted b4 WV, it just strikes me funny. History books do exist
West of DC.

That was for the previous poster, not you.  You're old enough to know better
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#31]
West of DC.

That was for the previous poster, not you.  You're old enough to have been there....

hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TURNSKULL:
West of DC.

That was for the previous poster, not you.  You're old enough to have been there....

hehehehe

LOL....
Let me go check those signatures on that secession paper thing.....just in case.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Berkeley county,Hedgesville
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 7:59:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: millerized] [#34]
Originally Posted By mkriglet:

Welcome!
Now get that post count up!
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mkriglet:

My neck of the woods ( martinsburg ). Welcome to the site

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quite a few of us in the Martinsburg area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I was born in Bluefield WVa but I grew up in Bluefield Va (Go G-Men!)
After the Service I lived in Hinton for years before moving here to the Charleston area.
And yes this is my first post.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Welcome West-sider
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#39]
GloomHound,

Don't make it your last!  Welcome aboard!

ANGMSG
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Currently in Morgantown for school.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Wheeling area... Marshall county

born and raised

anyone looking to shoot.. we have private land and go nearly every weekend.. pm me
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By seedless:
Wheeling area... Marshall county

born and raised

anyone looking to shoot.. we have private land and go nearly every weekend.. pm me

You're gonna make a whole lotta friends, talkin like that

Welcome!
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Is it just me that finds the title of this thread ("WV Role Call") funny?

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Only that Roll should be used, not Role.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Just moved from NoVA to Bunker Hill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Welcome to Da 'Hood young wolf, there are a bunch of us here in the area. Berkeley and Jefferson counties, a few in Morgan. A bunch right in Inwood & Bunker Hill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Gilmer County.  Central WV.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By kitwulfen:
Just moved from NoVA to Bunker Hill.

Welcome, and congrats for making the intelligent move to freedom.

Meet and greet planned for 4December, looks like Hoss' in North Martinsburg.  If you need a ride, it looks like we have at least 4 vehicles leaving the Inwood area.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Meet and greet planned for 4December, looks like Hoss' in North Martinsburg.  If you need a ride, it looks like we have at least 4 vehicles leaving the Inwood area.

Yeah, we'll just hog-tie his a$$ and toss him in the back of the Suburban if he tries to get out of it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Yeah, we'll just hog-tie his a$$ and toss him in the back of the Suburban if he tries to get out of it.

Them or me?
Remember, I like that kind of treatment
My sister is teaching me all kinds of new tricks since the girlfriend or wife won't.
Page / 14
Tacked WV Role Call.... (Page 10 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top