Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 8:49:16 PM EDT
There is some land up north Wisconsin that is in the family and scouting it out earlier I noticed some of the better shooting positions would place the shooter near a public road.  Shooting away from the road, so no issue there, but just wanted to make sure there was not some sort of “min distance” from public road law.  Road is very rural and sees maybe 1 car every hour.  I am target shooting and not hunting on private land.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2021 9:49:36 PM EDT by MisterPX]
IIRC, it's 50'  from the centerline.

And not within 100' of a structure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:59:19 PM EDT
Just check with the SD.  If they're not sure, they'll probably just refer you to a game warden.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:01:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:31:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2021 10:57:12 AM EDT by rfb45colt]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:

If I'm not mistaken I think it's a hundred yards of a structure
View Quote

It is 100 yards. Don't forget the "while on the lands of another" part. You can be within 100 yards of a "dwelling devoted to human occupancy" if you are on your own property. Or have permission of any dwelling's owners on someone else's land.

example: I sometimes duck hunt from a blind that's not 100' from my buddy's lake home. I'm legal because he not only allows it...he hunts with me. It's his property, his home. We're also within 100 yards of the home next door. Which belongs to his brother, who also hunts on occasion, and gives me permission to shoot within 100 yards of his house also. First brother doesn't need any permission from second like I do, as he's on his own land.

And it's not a "structure". A "structure" could include a garage, shed, pole barn, lean to, wood shed, even a duck blind or other permanent hunting blind. They don't matter. The law only applies to homes, or any other "dwelling devoted to human occupancy". Somewhere people would normally reside. ie... motel, hotel, lodge, bunkhouse/barracks (thinking about summer camps here). Not sure on this part... campers, RVs, tents... or any other "temporary dwelling". I believe they would count if occupied, but not if just parked for storage reasons.

The law is 50' from the centerline of a highway.

Hunting near roadways
It is illegal to:
•  Hunt within 50 feet of the roadway’s center.
•  Discharge a firearm, shoot an arrow from a bow or shoot a bolt from a crossbow:    
   •  from or across a highway.    
   •  within 50 feet of the roadway’s center.
The above prohibition applies to all public roads.

Note: Certain exceptions are allowed for Class A and Class B shoot from vehicle disabled permit holders, and for hunting small game from dirt or gravel roads with shotguns loaded with fine shot. Visit dnr.wi.gov, keywords “disabled permits” for more information

Some "legal definitions":

The entire width between the boundary lines of every public road, but does not include private roads and driveways.

Public road
Roads shown on the current official highway map available from the Department of Transportation for public use. This does not include private roads or driveways.

The portion of the highway which is improved or ordinarily used for vehicle travel, excluding the berm or shoulder.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:41:44 PM EDT
Sounds like I will be good then, thanks all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Stay Informed On All Things 2A

Sign up and receive updates every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the ARFCOM community, breaking news and legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement.
Top Top