Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2019 4:50:47 PM EDT
Is everyone prepped for the season?

I am carrying my 6.5CM bolt gun, hunting private in Iowa County.

Hope everyone does well!
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't hunt and the ranges are closed during gun deer season so all I can say is good luck and to please hurry the hell up!
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much ready to go. Depends if I decide to switch ammo for the PA10

I'll be in Sauk County
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I came to the HTF today to start a "Gun Deer Season 2019" thread, and discovered that you already got it done!  Great minds, and all that.

I think I'm all set. The forecast looks miserable for deer movement.

I build my son a new 6.5 Grendel gun that I can't wait to break in!

Door County
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Private land in Juneau Co (Lyndon Station). Taking a .450BM, .30-30and my Super blackhawk .44

Just worried on how muddy the area is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you guys see the DNR wants deer hunters to watch for feral hogs and kill them?
Here is the link to the story.  Next year for me.  I will probably use my 6.5 grendel bolt gun.

Kill the pig.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you guys see the DNR wants deer hunters to watch for feral hogs and kill them?
Here is the link to the story.  Next year for me.  I will probably use my 6.5 grendel bolt gun.

Kill the pig.
View Quote
Just saw that on the news tonight. Interesting that this is a growing problem up here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
This is what my DeerCast app is showing. It is the same all week.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Going up opening weekend to hunt Price County for the first time.  Taking my 300 blackout AR with some handloads I cooked up.  Pretty excited this year.

Quoted:

Kill the pig.
View Quote
I've heard rumors in the past about them getting a foothold around Richland Center,  but I chalked it up to hunters rumors.  I knew we had them here but not in any great numbers.

As someone who has hunted them and seen the destruction they can do to fields in a short amount of time,  I honestly hope they aren't becoming a problem.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Private land in Juneau Co (Lyndon Station). Taking a .450BM, .30-30and my Super blackhawk .44

Just worried on how muddy the area is.
View Quote
I've hunted quite a bit in Lyndon Station on a family farm.  I'm skipping hunting this year, I'm just to busy.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Nicolet National Forest, Vilas county mostly, might wander into Forest county a bit. This year, using my old school set-up... Marlin 1895G .45-70, Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt.

I might go "modern" if I'm still hunting after Thanksgiving, switch over to .450 Bushmaster AR & Glock 20sf 10mm with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Know somebody that got pigs on trail cam in Adams county. Wouldn't be too worried about the deer forecast opening weekend, gonna be people all over the woods
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I was up getting my stand moved last weekend and saw significant deer sign (10+ scrapes, 2-3 rubs on the 40 I hunt) so hoping that the temps may still have some rut activity going on.  I have to finish sighting in the new 6.5CM gun today or tomorrow at the Law Enforcement Training Center. Unfortunately, we dont have many people do drives in our area so if they stay bedded down, we may be in for a long season.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quit hunting last year lost interest after 45 years. Rather watch them play in the yard out the kitchen window. Hunting or shooting isn't a big deal just open the window. Wish I could post pictures. My new "hunting" is taking head shot pictures through the scope. Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Definitely the rut has slowed down, I’ve been in the woods daily and have 7 Cameras up...And for my area in Waushara County the peak time was 23 October till 1 November. Not that a little tinks hanging from the tree won’t get them excited
View Quote
I live in the woods, I see deer out my windows constantly (the deer shit all over my lawn gets annoying). The rut peaked here, up north, about Nov 1-7. One "horny" bastard was checking out my female Lab. It's pretty much done now, not much buck movement the past 7-10 days at all.

Most of our snow melted yesterday and in last night's rain...but it's been snowing since about 9am. Less than an inch so far.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quit hunting last year lost interest after 45 years. Rather watch them play in the yard out the kitchen window. Hunting or shooting isn't a big deal just open the window. Wish I could post pictures. My new "hunting" is taking head shot pictures through the scope. Good luck and stay safe.
View Quote
I know exactly what you're saying. 55 years of deer hunting for me - age 14 in 1964-present age 69. I still have an urge to get out in the woods...but not like it used to be, as age has definately slowed me down. I'm watching 3 out my patio door window right now as I type this. I've got some so tame, I can pet them. Even my Lab Retriever can get nose to nose with at least 2 does I have hanging around. They've just become accostomed to each other's presence. The dog ignores them, which is good, because if she chased them, I could never let her outside off a leash.

Deer season was always my favorite week of the year, I have always taken the week off to hunt, and just hang out with the guys. I remember when I was the youngest, now I'm the oldest. I have actually quit jobs when they said I couldn't take that week off, that's how important it's been in my life. LOL... one of the main reasons I became self-employed 30 years ago was so nobody could tell me I had to work during deer season, or weekends during duck season.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've hunted quite a bit in Lyndon Station on a family farm.  I'm skipping hunting this year, I'm just to busy.  Good luck!
View Quote
I started hunting off of 59th st just west of 26th ave. Now that area is houses with no hunting.

Cousins owned Melody Bar in Lyndon a ways back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I shot my first Wisconsin buck on a farm about 2 miles south of Lyndon station. Used to drink at Norm's afterwards.  I love that little town.  My buddy still owns that farm(only stopped hunting it around 2015), I should stop by after the season.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I shot my first Wisconsin buck on a farm about 2 miles south of Lyndon station. Used to drink at Norm's afterwards.  I love that little town.  My buddy still owns that farm(only stopped hunting it around 2015), I should stop by after the season.
View Quote
I began hunting around Mauston, back in the 60s. My grandfather was from there, he got me started. I loved Mauston, a distant cousin owned a bar there, right in town. Then he became mayor, had to sell it. All my grandfather's family lived there, going back to 1800s.

I switched to hunting up north near the Turtle Flambeau Flowage when an aunt & uncle (on the other side of my family) bought a resort up there in 1971. I hunted there until the early 80s when a guy I worked with bought 80 acres near Pembine, and was starting up a deer camp.

In 1991 I moved to Eagle River permanently, been hunting here ever since, with a family of hunters from Milwaukee area I met through the snowmobile club.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Ready to go here in Burnett Co.

Got my new Henry 45-70 sighted in this week. Kid will be using either my 6.8 or 277WLV, he hasn’t decided yet. He has a doe coming over Sat. So he won’t be going until Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
No hunting for me. No place nearby, and I imagine state land anywhere near me will be filled with fibs. Seems farmers are not much on giving permission without signing a hunting lease.
Not a big deal, It has been a few years since I have been deer hunting, and I can have just as much fun popping groundhogs and squirrels.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Hope everyone has a safe and successful hunt.  Gave it up years ago after ruptured disk, but still kinda miss it.  Used to hunt out east side of Birchwood dam, right between farms and County forest.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#24]
All quiet in Lafayette county.
Maybe 3-4 shots off in the distance.
Was hoping to try my .243 reloads
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Can't remember a slower season opener in Marinette county. Glad I tagged a spiker over in MI last week. Looks like the hunter numbers are about as low as the deer herd.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Been in the stand for a little while now. A few shots off in the distance in the last few hours.

Approaching prime time so I’m still optimistic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Since about 8 am, I’ve heard a total of two shots.

Neither came from my rifle
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

There was a 6 pointer behind the trees at 80 yards
Didn't take the shot, and he walked back up the ridge into the corn.
Buddy is combining tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The wife downed a small 8 not too long ago

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379420/IMG_20191123_160315-1171119.jpg
View Quote
Congrats. looks like a perfect meat preserving shot.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The wife downed a small 8 not too long ago

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379420/IMG_20191123_160315-1171119.jpg
View Quote
Nice work!!!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I found this guy in my field. He was trespassing and didn’t listen to my warnings to leave so I had to take enforcement measures.

Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sitting in the stand now with a 6.5" 629 (44mag) waiting for the right one. I've seen plenty of deer already down here in Crawford Co., but I am much more focused on getting my Dad, my son, and my youngest daughter (her first time out) opportunities.

It's funny, in just a few short years after buying land, I went from being big into hunting myself to taking much more pleasure in sharing the experience with them.

Have fun, stay safe, and good luck guys!
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No hunting for me. No place nearby, and I imagine state land anywhere near me will be filled with fibs. Seems farmers are not much on giving permission without signing a hunting lease.
Not a big deal, It has been a few years since I have been deer hunting, and I can have just as much fun popping groundhogs and squirrels.
View Quote
Its under an hour drive from your area to Blackhawk Lake Recreational Area. 1500 acres. http://www.blackhawklake.com/BHLHunting.html Last couple years we went there we usually seen 3-5 others. One year there was a group of 10 guys hunting together, but never seen them again. Same group of guys unloaded on a nub buck and blew it to bits. Usually the "fibs" that show up there are guys from western IL, not the Chicago clowns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Southern tip of Door County.

One guy in our group got a small doe.  Everyone else got squat.

Somehow we still managed to eat a ton and drink a few bottles of good bourbon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Two 45/70 = 2 does down!
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Its under an hour drive from your area to Blackhawk Lake Recreational Area. 1500 acres. http://www.blackhawklake.com/BHLHunting.html Last couple years we went there we usually seen 3-5 others. One year there was a group of 10 guys hunting together, but never seen them again. Same group of guys unloaded on a nub buck and blew it to bits. Usually the "fibs" that show up there are guys from western IL, not the Chicago clowns.
View Quote
I will check it out for next season,  thanks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Check out land enrolled in the state forestry program.  I forget the acronym but the DNR publishes a listing.  It's land enrolled in a tax deferral program but part of being enrolled in the program, means the land is open to foot traffic for hunting and fishing.  Lots of this land is land locked but the land owner has to allow an access easement.  The land is usually posted or the easement is posted with no trespassing signs to scare people off but with a gps and the DNR maps it's easy to make sure you're in the correct spot and legal.  These places usually don't see much pressure at all.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My shoulder hurts just reading this
View Quote
Think it's been hurting them more than me
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounded like a fairly slow opener in Vilas county around us, probably heard more people catching the tail end of duck season than deer being taken.  Saw plenty of turkeys around us and a handful of does.  Caught this guy chasing the ladies Sunday AM, didn't end well.

Nice way to break a pretty long dry spell in our family - its been quite a few years since any of us has tagged a buck up there.  At first I was just watching the bunch of does that were walking in from behind my stand, then caught a glimpse of him following behind.  Tagged him at ~75 yards, DRT.  Of course the does that he was chasing kept milling around after I shot, funny how they'll turn tail and run at the slightest movement but totally ignore a .30-06 being touched off over their heads...
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#44]
There's a long thread in GD about WI deer hunting.

Hunting on a friend's farm in Iowa county. Not a single thing. Had a few does on the game camera 3 weeks before opener, nothing except maybe a big cat for the 2 weeks before opener.

It's a bit north of vortex owned land. Somebody there likes a loudenboomer. Probably clearing trees with that muzzle break
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounded like a fairly slow opener in Vilas county around us, probably heard more people catching the tail end of duck season than deer being taken.  Saw plenty of turkeys around us and a handful of does.  Caught this guy chasing the ladies Sunday AM, didn't end well.
View Quote
Nice buck.

Same thing down here in the S.E. corner of Vilas. I heard the first shot at 7:25am, almost a full hour into the season. Maybe 6 -7 shots heard by noon. I remember when we'd hear 6-7 shots right at the opening minute (or slightly before). Pathetic. Have yet to see a deer...except those taking refuge in my backyard, and shooting one of those is like cheating, that isn't 'hunting'.

As for the tail end of duck season, if I had any idea there were still any ducks left, I'd have been there instead. Everything was froze up 3 weeks ago. Even the WI River had ice on it, except in rapidly flowing areas.... and there were no ducks there either, we checked. We hunted the first 3 days of November just before freeze up, and in those 3 days, saw ZERO ducks, heard 2 shots total. When it froze up around the 5th, I put my duck hunting stuff away for the season. Btw...today is officially the last day in the northern zone.

eta: Forecast is for up to a foot or more of heavy wet snow tonight. That'll pretty much end the season early. Road access will become impossible...not because of snow depth, my Rubicon can handle a foot easily. But the heavy wet snow will cause trees (especially young pines with needles to hold it) to bend over almost to the ground, effectively blocking all forest road access. Been through that many times. We used to take turns walking ahead of a truck with a 6' broom handle, knocking all the snow off the branches to open up a road. Too old for that shit now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice job,
Looks like the one I was playing hide and seek with all weekend outside Shullsberg.
Sunday afternoon he decided to pop out of the corn about 15 feet away, no shot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I shot a small 7 point Saturday morning at 11. Saw a doe and 2 fawns in the afternoon. I hunt a small valley, essentially 5 acres of private in Brown county. Heard about 40 shots all day and about 20 by noon on Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#50]

I took this buck on Sunday.  Hit the grunt tube about 3PM and he came in from 200 plus yards away on a rope.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top