Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2021 2:56:48 PM EDT
Just left my local FFL to pick up a long rifle. They said my background check could be up to 2 weeks. That’s weird. Usually takes 15 minutes.

Has anyone else in WA experienced this long of a wait time for a long rifle? I was in PA a few weeks ago with my brother and his background check took 1 hour.

I really wanted my Tippmann .22 today. Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just left my local FFL to pick up a long rifle. They said my background check could be up to 2 weeks. That's weird. Usually takes 15 minutes.

Has anyone else in WA experienced this long of a wait time for a long rifle? I was in PA a few weeks ago with my brother and his background check took 1 hour.

I really wanted my Tippmann .22 today. Oh well.
View Quote
Semi-auto "assault rifles" in WA have a mandatory 10 business day wait.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Semi-auto "assault rifles" in WA have a mandatory 10 business day wait.
View Quote

Wow. Thank you for the response.

ETA: Article
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been two years that this shit law has been in effect.

I was going to type out a bunch of other stuff, but it's not productive.  Clearly you didn't know, weren't engaged in the political process, and that can't be changed now....
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's been two years that this shit law has been in effect.

I was going to type out a bunch of other stuff, but it's not productive.  Clearly you didn't know, weren't engaged in the political process, and that can't be changed now....
View Quote

Clearly you just called me an idiot. If you were engaged in the political process you could enlighten me. Yet instead you made a snarky comment as if I couldn’t understand. Jesus Christ do I now need to apologize to you just because I didn’t know? Clown World.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Come on now, clearly the op is new to semi auto rifle as of the last 2 years.  Lets show new gun owners who the better people are.  I run a gun store as well and still get countless new to 1639 people every day.  Most of these people voted against 1639 at the time and like most didn't pay too much attention to the details of it.

1639:

10 business day wait, regardless of response time from LEO.

FREE 1639 certificate from Sporting-system.com, dealer may or may not require a copy

Depending on dealer, M/O or Bank check for $18 made payable to WA DOL needed at pickup time. Some places are adding to firearm price, so you may not hear about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Clearly you just called me an idiot. If you were engaged in the political process you could enlighten me. Yet instead you made a snarky comment as if I couldn’t understand. Jesus Christ do I now need to apologize to you just because I didn’t know? Clown World.
View Quote

Yes I did. How long have you lived in WA?  I’m out of patience for the uneducated, uniformed, uninvolved that show up years later, surprised their rights have evaporated, and opine “what happened???”

And yes, I think an apology to those that have spent the past few years fighting this shit is due  from every “Johnny-come-lately” than wonders what happened to their rights.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes I did. How long have you lived in WA?  I’m out of patience for the uneducated, uniformed, uninvolved that show up years later, surprised their rights have evaporated, and opine “what happened???”

And yes, I think an apology to those that have spent the past few years fighting this shit is due  from every “Johnny-come-lately” than wonders what happened to their rights.
View Quote

This will increase HTF participation no doubt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably just a real blast at party's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I notice you didn't say he was wrong
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven’t purchased a rifle in over 2 years. Definitely voted against the bill. Not good enough for Scollins. Crotchety old man.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
welpro222, thank you for your words.

I can understand the frustration all of us law-abiding gun owners and advocates feel.  I'm not writing this to chastise anyone.  I am hoping to appeal to - and possibly strengthen - our unity and resolve to continue fighting.  There are more than a few here that have submitted their first email, phone call or other form of communication to their elected representatives.  Let's keep that momentum building!  If each and every one of us can recruit just one other gun owner in Washington to participate in any way (remember:  no action is too small!), we will DOUBLE the size and strength of our voice next legislative session!  Together we have accomplished quite a bit these last three years!  We've kept "assault rifle" bans and magazine capacity limits from passing, along with many other anti-gun bills that have been and will continue to be introduced.  Let's set our sights (sorry - couldn't resist) on accomplishing even more-----TOGETHER!!!

Trey
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Haven't purchased a rifle in over 2 years. Definitely voted against the bill. Not good enough for Scollins. Crotchety old man.
View Quote

I wear crotchety old man as a badge of honor.

Especially with some of the bullshit the kids are pulling these days.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Since this state has been lost to the retards on the west side.
And we now, can not just leave with our guns, since the laws were changed recently.
Wait times here, in Kali North, are 1 to 3 weeks.
Yeah, that is Communist shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I notice you didn't say he was wrong
View Quote

You can be right and still be a butthole about it.

Stupidity should be mocked, but ignorance should be corrected.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
A buddy of mine is over 4 weeks now into background check on a semi pistol.  

He passed the background check on an AR back in the early days of the COVID panic so I would say the state is dragging its feet for no good reason.

Now he says that gun store has to resubmit as application has timed out.  Maybe this particular store is incompetent.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since this state has been lost to the retards on the west side.
And we now, can not just leave with our guns, since the laws were changed recently.
Wait times here, in Kali North, are 1 to 3 weeks.
Yeah, that is Communist shit.
View Quote

The state can not forbid someone from taking their arms to another state when they move, go hunting, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine is over 4 weeks now into background check on a semi pistol.  

He passed the background check on an AR back in the early days of the COVID panic so I would say the state is dragging its feet for no good reason.

Now he says that gun store has to resubmit as application has timed out.  Maybe this particular store is incompetent.
View Quote

Find a new shop. The law requires the dealer to release after 10 days if the police department hasn't responded.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The state can not forbid someone from taking their arms to another state when they move, go hunting, etc.
View Quote

I was wondering if this was something new that I was unaware of.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Not entirely true.
I just talked with my gun shop a few days ago, about this issue.
That is true on the state level.
But, the gun shop still has to wait on the check, back from the Feds.
If 30 days is up on Federal level, you have to re submit.

Quoted:

Find a new shop. The law requires the dealer to release after 10 days if the police department hasn't responded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not entirely true.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not entirely true.

Quoted:

Pistols go through the state. Fed has nothing to do with it. After 10 days they SHALL release it to you. The only exception is of the police have a legitimate reason to put a 30 day hold on it
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#21]
10 days comes and goes pretty quick and we've all got plenty of time waiting for prices to come down and supplies to ramp up.
I hope everyone is learning lessons and remembering how good it was.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, there are guys here in the Tri Cities, waiting for their Pistols for 3 weeks.
And that is what the gun shops are saying.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Not sure, where you are getting your info, but that is incorrect.
I have 2 friends, that own 2 of the best, high volume gun shops, here, in the Tri Cities.
Just contacted them.
Pistols go thru:  City, State and FBI.

Quoted:

Pistols go through the state. Fed has nothing to do with it. After 10 days they SHALL release it to you. The only exception is of the police have a legitimate reason to put a 30 day hold on it
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have 2 friends, that own 2 of the best, high volume gun shops, here, in the Tri Cities.
Just contacted them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just contacted them.

Quoted:

The city police department handles everything. They have 10 days to get their shit done before the FFL can release
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]
It also goes thru the FBI.
Give your Police a call and ask them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I respectfully disagree. Quote the law please. I will wait here...
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Semantics, the local PD will check state records and also run a NICS check through the FBI. FBI will give a deny, proceed, or hold, the state can also give the same back to the FFL based on whatever they find in the state records.

So yes there is some FBI involvement, but really its all between the FFL and the local PD, if they don't get back in 10 days with a yes or know the FFL can release the gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dealer shall deliver the pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser following the period of time specified in this chapter unless the dealer is notified of an investigative hold under subsection (5) of this section in writing by the chief of police of the municipality, the sheriff of the county, or the state, whichever is applicable, or of the denial of the purchaser's application to purchase and the grounds thereof.

Note then word "shall deliver'. In legal speak that means it's a requirement.

Section 6c here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.090
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#29]
You also said, Feds have Nothing to do with it, that is wrong.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I am posting this purely for informational purposes. It is from the book of face page for Sporting Systems in Vancouver, WA:

SS FB page

We're pleased to report that the WSP system failure that prevented complete background checks for CPL, firearms transfers and dealer licenses has been mostly fixed.   While many law enforcement agencies stopped issuing any approved firearms transfers, many others continued to issue approvals based upon incomplete data from WSP.   During this time, dealers were unknowingly releasing firearms with incomplete “approvals”.  Other dealers, under Washington law, released the firearms after 10 days, as allowed by Washington and Federal Law.  Either way, the risk of releasing a firearm to a prohibited person was significant.

Since June 1, the  WSP “ACCESS” system upgrade was not returning a CID#, failed to return “near hits” on disqualifying conditions, failed to return on wants and warrants, and lastly, failed to return on active protection orders.   At this time, Protection orders are still not returning properly, but our local agency is able to look at separately.  

WSP had not informed agencies of the failure, only recently directing agencies that issued approvals, to redo ALL checks June 1 to June 24.   While this was a terrible inconvenience, it is a prime example of the issues looming with WSP developing and running a single point of contact background check system.  

Critical items still not address by the WSP in their December 2020 implementation plan;

1)            A timely appeal process for wrongful denials

2)            Any system integration to Immigration and Customs for resident aliens (currently a green cards earns an automatic “delay” for a check on immigration status).  The system integration WSP references makes no reference to an ICE check.

3)            WSP has no mechanism to check the “local” pending cases, pending protection orders and such.

4)            Will disqualifying records be sent upstream automatically, to prevent prohibited persons from purchasing firearms outside of WA?   If yes, then using the federal NICS system would save the state tens of millions of dollars and result in the same outcome, preventing prohibited       person from obtaining firearms through legal channels.  If not reporting upstream, why not?   It allows prohibited persons from purchasing out of state because the state is not reporting the data into the NICs system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top