Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2018 2:32:34 PM EDT
Our state's liquor taxes are insanely high. If you want a nicer $100 bottle of scotch or bourbon, you are going to pay about $130 for it.

I thought it would only take a year or two for the state to lower the liquor taxes after the state privatized the liquor market, but no one seems to be talking about it or even care.

Luckily I am able to purchase elsewhere to avoid the stupid taxes. Starve the beast!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
When I visit my family on the dry side of the state we usually hop over to ID and pick up a few bottles
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I visit my family on the dry side of the state we usually hop over to ID and pick up a few bottles
View Quote
I am literally five minutes from the first liquor store in Post Falls and usually do all of my buying there.  Plus they carry Blanton's, so it is an easy decision to make the quick hop over there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am literally five minutes from the first liquor store in Post Falls and usually do all of my buying there.  Plus they carry Blanton's, so it is an easy decision to make the quick hop over there.
View Quote
The Blanton's that cost $60 down in Oregon taste so much better than the $85 bottles of the same stuff in WA. The insanely high liquor taxes add an extra flavor I don't care to drink, unless someone else is paying!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My recollection is that when the Initiative forced privatization at the retail level, the State INCREASED the liquor tax.  Yet they REDUCED their expenses.  I'd love to see analysis of liquor tax revenue since the change.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m 15 minutes away from Snoqualmie tobacco and liquor
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My recollection is that when the Initiative forced privatization at the retail level, the State INCREASED the liquor tax.  Yet they REDUCED their expenses.  I'd love to see analysis of liquor tax revenue since the change.

Rob
View Quote
Pretty sure the taxes were written into the imitative.  Everybody rushed to the privatization bandwagon, but failed to notice the fine print.  Just like all those people who paid money to take over state run liquor stores, and then couldn't compete with the pricing of the local grocery or big box liquor stores who were behind the initiative in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We have friends that are in with Costco, they spent ALOT of money on getting this done.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Class 6 on base now has to be within 5% of off post prices for some stupid reason. Although when they put things on sale it is pretty good Tullamore Dew is 20.35 right now, Glennfiddich is 31.00, beam is 12.50., we just watch the sales and buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats the biggest reason I started brewing my own beer. Fuck them. Tax avoidance for the win. And its kind of fun to do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Much like rolling my own ammo. It's fun. It taught me a lot about how this stuff works. It's not difficult to do, it just takes time and soe focus. I enjoy it, the production and consumption. It's a big win-win for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was just over there, it's not much different. State run liquor stores don't compete with anybody.

Anybody know of any Indian liquor stores in the Olympia area? Nisqually Tobacco Outlet is great for avoiding the ridiculous tobacco tax, now I just need to find a place to buy Scotch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Class 6 on base now has to be within 5% of off post prices for some stupid reason. Although when they put things on sale it is pretty good Tullamore Dew is 20.35 right now, Glennfiddich is 31.00, beam is 12.50., we just watch the sales and buy in bulk.
View Quote
Probably the big grocery stores. Same reason that NG and Reserves weren't able to get unlimited commissary privileges until after 2001. Remember how much they bitched when it was doubled from 12 allowed visits per year to 24?
Similar to why the Exchange wasn't allowed to sell big screen TVs for decades. Not until like 2005 or 2006... ish.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
And you also pay sales tax ontop of the liquor tax so your getting double taxed...wait isnt that illegal...oh right not in WA tax them till they starve is the motto
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably the big grocery stores. Same reason that NG and Reserves weren't able to get unlimited commissary privileges until after 2001. Remember how much they bitched when it was doubled from 12 allowed visits per year to 24?
Similar to why the Exchange wasn't allowed to sell big screen TVs for decades. Not until like 2005 or 2006... ish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm heading east this weekend , I will do some cost comparison in the neighboring free state..
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Just make your own.  It's much like reloading.  Beer, Wine or "other"
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh, beer and wine aren't taxed that bad.
For liquor i just visit the duty free, it's about  a 10min drive.
Good deals too, last trip i picked up 3 1.5 liter bottles of Crown Royal for $52,
Loaded up on wine from Kestrel, they had a bunch for 50% off over Christmas
View Quote
Crowns on sale at the 6 for 23.00..
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Meh, beer and wine aren't taxed that bad.
For liquor i just visit the duty free, it's about  a 10min drive.
Good deals too, last trip i picked up 3 1.5 liter bottles of Crown Royal for $52,
Loaded up on wine from Kestrel, they had a bunch for 50% off over Christmas
View Quote
Where is this duty free?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Rob
View Quote
We no longer are paying public-employee salaries/benefits to a bunch of minimum wage retail staff... Nor paying government money to lease/maintain storefronts...

By doing it the way they did it, they got votes that might not have been there if the initiative read purely as 'make booze cheaper'.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where is this duty free?
View Quote
He probably lives up by the Canadian border, or near an Indian reservation.

Also, any military base if you have an ID card.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#24]
The good stuff is much cheaper in Oregon.

The high taxes make it cost effective to purchase good scotch from Master of Malt and have it shipped over from the UK.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't drink, but the parking lot at the interstate liquor store just across the Columbia in Portlandia is nothing but WA plates. Silly states with their taxes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Nevada is pretty cheap I hear..some family would goto Reno couple times a year an bring back cases from down there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#27]
We no longer are paying public-employee salaries/benefits to a bunch of minimum wage retail staff... Nor paying government money to lease/maintain storefronts...

By doing it the way they did it, they got votes that might not have been there if the initiative read purely as 'make booze cheaper'.

we need fewer public employees.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Hard to beat the sale prices of liquor on base.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't drink much liquor, but I stocked up last time I drove through CA. But it's been a couple years. And I still have plenty.

Liquor taxes are indeed insane, the best thing about privatization was it brought the taxes to the price tag instead of just hiding them. I really thought with them being that visible, they'd go down, but it hasn't happened yet. All well, drink less, that stuff isn't great for you anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't drink much liquor, but I stocked up last time I drove through CA. But it's been a couple years. And I still have plenty.

Liquor taxes are indeed insane, the best thing about privatization was it brought the taxes to the price tag instead of just hiding them. I really thought with them being that visible, they'd go down, but it hasn't happened yet. All well, drink less, that stuff isn't great for you anyway.
View Quote
Says who?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Citation needed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top