Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2022 8:52:40 AM EDT
And let's hope Booker gets his ass handed to him so thoroughly the Dems quit running a senate candidate.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Amen to that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted this morning in Pendleton co. The private property on the right side of the school drive was full of political signs. On school property just as you pull into the school lane, there was one sign for booker. It was still two hundred yards or so from the polling entrance but it seemed someone needs to be fined for that.
It did my heart good to see so many republicans running unopposed. For the demos running unopposed, I left them blank.
I'm not worried about Kentucky but it would be nice to see republicans tidal wave the rest of the country.
Not really an issue but The readers would not accept the ballot if the two issues on the back were not voted on.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I just hope people get off their asses and vote...  Kentucky and across the nation!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Too bad about the 2nd vote
Taxes for abortions… how low can we go?
But didn’t suprise me. We did elect a dem governor, after all

Glad about Massey and Paul
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Rand Paul got 892k votes. There were 728k votes against Amendment 2.

Its like Bevin losing. Beshear got 709k, Bevin got 704k, losing by 5k votes. Adams got 746k votes for Secretary of State, that means 42k votes that should have gone to Bevin. Cameron got 823k votes, 120k votes that should have gone to Bevin and over 100k more votes than Beshear got.

Abortion could have essentially ended in KY if the 164k additional votes for Paul included votes outweighed the 60k winning votes to keep abortion and fund it.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I never had high hopes for amendment 2, but I am pretty surprised amendment 1 didn't pass.

The reality is most people support abortion in the first trimester of a pregnancy. Few people want it outright banned. And while this amendment didn't ban abortion, it was sold that way to get people to vote against it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never had high hopes for amendment 2, but I am pretty surprised amendment 1 didn't pass.

The reality is most people support abortion in the first trimester of a pregnancy. Few people want it outright banned. And while this amendment didn't ban abortion, it was sold that way to get people to vote against it.
View Quote

I agree with you on abortion amendment.  If it had limited abortions to the first trimester it most likely would have passed.  

As to the legislature amendment a lot of people feel the Legislature is getting too much power and did not want that to happen. Many also felt the legislature would use this to call themselves into session more frequently over”emergencies “.   They do not want a full time legislature or go down that road

I think most people like a balance of power between all three branches of government
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree with you on abortion amendment.  If it had limited abortions to the first trimester it most likely would have passed.  

As to the legislature amendment a lot of people feel the Legislature is getting too much power and did not want that to happen. Many also felt the legislature would use this to call themselves into session more frequently over”emergencies “.   They do not want a full time legislature or go down that road

I think most people like a balance of power between all three branches of government
View Quote

As it stands, abortion is still effectively banned in the state due to the law that went into effect when roe was overturned, so unless the supreme court rules it unconstitutional, nothing will have really changed.

I was rather torn on amendment 1 for the reasons you stated. But in the end I voted for it, people are fickle and if we ever get another Dem governor I do think having a way to nullify him is a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
What I do not want is a dictator Governor, despite the party...  so I voted for it, it took 3/5's to call them back.  I do not think we have enough representation.  I also think the amendment was waaaaaaaaay to long....
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As to the legislature amendment a lot of people feel the Legislature is getting too much power and did not want that to happen. Many also felt the legislature would use this to call themselves into session more frequently over"emergencies ".  

View Quote

If people thought that then they didn't understand what amendment 1 changed...which is the Republican legislators fault for creating such a long confusing amendment and then not explaining it.  I really wasn't sure what the changes were until my state Senator sent out an email describing it.  It changed 2 things.  The first did not expand the number of days in session but it did allow for more and longer breaks in the session by making it possible to move the last day of the session.  That part really just gives them more time for backroom deals without the session clock ticking down.   The second thing was to allow the legislator to call themselves into session once per year but they would be limited at 12 days.  If that measure was utilized the legislative days would be 42 and 72, still not even 1/4 of a year and nowhere close to a full time legislator.  

A 30 day session is too short.  Anyone who has worked with groups trying to get legislation passed knows how difficult it is to get anything done. For anything to be passed it really needs to be approved by the leadership before the session and given a committee the first or second week.  After that it is very difficult to get any non-essential bills passed.  Something like Campus Carry will never be brought up in a 30 day session simply because they don't have the time to educate all they key people on it.

As it stands the legislature is called back into session any time the Governor declares an emergency that lasts for X number of days.  I forget the final number they decided on but it is between 15 and 30.  That was passed the other year so that the Governor couldn't call a year long emergency while ignoring all input from the General Assembly the way Beshear did with covid.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The legislature has had more than enough time to legislate. They use the "we coulda stopped the governor's worse excesses if we just had more time!" I call BS, I saw plenty of times in which liberty bills moved up into committee, and it didn't move from there.

They're trying to sneak bad crap into the law all of the time, and it's hard enough to monitor them and get the word out during a limited legislative session. I've seen this first hand, I spent the entire session this year reading bills and helping track where they were and how likely they were to pass. I'm part of a group that's been doing this the past five years, so I've been taught what to look for.

People can figure out emergencies on their own, we don't need that as an excuse for the them to create more laws.

I'm very glad that #1 didn't pass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The ads I heard telling people to vote against Amendment 2 were flat out lies. They stated "passing of amendment 2 will outlaw all abortions in KY".
Such blatant lies in political adds infuriate me.

I do think they should have worked to simplify amendment 1 if they wanted it to pass.
The average voter will not vote for something they cannot read and understand on the spot in less than 10 seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top