Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2021 8:07:47 PM EDT
Posting to share my experience with the new Vortex Venom. I’m typically pretty picky about my optics, but this affordable scope really impressed me.

For those of you looking for a tactical style scope without breaking the bank, the newly released Vortex Venom checks a lot of boxes. Tactile turrets, 34mm tube and an amazing reticle in the EBR-7c. Optically, it’s not on the same level as the PST Gen2, but it’s not far off.

The resolution and depth of field was similar, as was contrast, but the PST Gen 2 doesn’t have nearly the amount of chromatic aboration (CA) that the Venom has. The Venom, like the Strike Eagle, has noticeable CA on white targets in bright sun if your eye isn’t exactly centered with the ocular. If you are centered up, the CA fringe is minimized. I mention this because if you’re used to >1500$ optics, you’ll notice the CA rather quickly. While it normally doesn’t impact your ability to hit the target, the “purple fringe” can be an annoyance to some.

While it doesn’t have an illuminated reticle, it looks to be a great option in the sub 500$ market. This is especially true for precision .22 enthusiasts with its 15yd parallax and 85 moa of stated elevation travel (PST Gen2, 30mm tube has 70moa). The total travel may need to be tested and evaluated further as the Strike Eagle, which has the same diameter tube (34mm) has a stated 110moa of travel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Told you so
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Told you so
View Quote

Indeed. Thanks again for allowing me to check out those optics! I was going to tag you in the post but couldn’t remember your handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top