Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2018 10:19:09 PM EDT
I'm going to a science conference in Seattle soon, and I have some questions.

My CCW isn't valid in WA, so no guns for me. It looks like no fixed blade knives either, so I'm down to my CRKT m16 with a 3" blade, which seems to be legal in Seattle.

I was planning to Uber to my hotel from the airport, but if that doesn't work, is the Link Light Rail safe to travel on from the airport to downtown (Washington Convention Center)?

From my hotel downtown, I was hoping to walk to Pike Place Market to eat. Is that a safe walk?

Also, I will require liquor. Is it possible to buy, say, a bottle of whiskey, within a reasonable walk from the convention center?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot tell you about the light rail, but generally downtown you will be OK, at least that area. General rules apply, the really bad people come out at night, but other then that, just a lot of homeless people around. Use common sense and you will be just fine.

Booze, no problem, just look for a Rite-Aid, Walgreens or supermarket, no more state controlled liquor here so I would not think its a problem.

ETA: Just ask a homeless person where to find the booze.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You won’t find much trouble here, but you won’t find much friendly conversation with strangers either. Be prepared for the Seattle freeze.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you go get yourself a porchetta from Salumi on 3rd and S. Main.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a neat trip there is a really good pastry shop Bakery Nouveau on California street that is worth the trip.  They actually made it into the top twenty places of the top 100 places to eat in the entire country.  They really are worth the trip...  Problems with them are that parking is very difficult, and they can be really crowded and it is a small shop.  Staff sometimes even help people in line out of order, but it really is worth the difficulties if you like bakeries/pastries.  Their Ham and Cheese croissant (about $5) are outstanding.  They are about 5-6" square so they don't look like regular crescent shaped croissants.  I have yet to buy something there that I didn't like.  About two doors down from them is a really interesting deli too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Compared to the bad parts of Kansas City and St. Louis;

The shady parts of Seattle look upscale.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't know what the hell a porchetta is but it sounds delicious.

Quoted:
If you want a neat trip there is a really good pastry shop Bakery Nouveau on California street that is worth the trip.  They actually made it into the top twenty places of the top 100 places to eat in the entire country.  They really are worth the trip...  Problems with them are that parking is very difficult, and they can be really crowded and it is a small shop.  Staff sometimes even help people in line out of order, but it really is worth the difficulties if you like bakeries/pastries.  Their Ham and Cheese croissant (about $5) are outstanding.  They are about 5-6" square so they don't look like regular crescent shaped croissants.  I have yet to buy something there that I didn't like.  About two doors down from them is a really interesting deli too.
I've got coupons for exactly four free Uber trips, otherwise I'm walking.

I love bread, but unfortunately I have some sort of mysterious "gluten sensitivity" and, if I'm going to eat bread, I have to limit it to about one serving a month. I'm also allergic to corn (wtf mate) so most gluten-free options will result in my throat swelling shut.

My hotel has a kitchenette, so I'm planning to eat a lot of fish. I fucking love fish.

I'd love to hear about any local distilleries or places I can get unique local food. I'm willing to get sick to try good food.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I love bread, but unfortunately I have some sort of mysterious "gluten sensitivity" and, if I'm going to eat bread, I have to limit it to about one serving a month. I'm also allergic to corn (wtf mate) so most gluten-free options will result in my throat swelling shut.

My hotel has a kitchenette, so I'm planning to eat a lot of fish. I fucking love fish.

I'd love to hear about any local distilleries or places I can get unique local food. I'm willing to get sick to try good food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I avoid Seattle so can't recommend XYZ place, you will have a lot of choices and most all will be really good. Will be hard to go wrong, if busy, and everything will be, there is your sign it is a good place to eat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get drunk in Belltown and grab a Seattle-style hot dog on the way back to the hotel. Spend one of your Uber trips to go to Fisherman's terminal and grab some fish at Chinook's.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get drunk in Belltown and grab a Seattle-style hot dog on the way back to the hotel. Spend one of your Uber trips to go to Fisherman's terminal and grab some fish at Chinook's.
View Quote
Hey now I didn't see anything about trans hookers in the OP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:My CCW isn't valid in WA, so no guns for me.
View Quote
You can still have the gun in your hotel or motel room (admittedly more needed if you stay in the latter).

You may also lawfully carry openly as you walk around Seattle (or anywhere else in WA).
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Light rail is super easy from the airport, definitely will save some cash on an Uber... Last time I used it, it didn't seem too sketchy at all, especially during the day.

Should drop you off pretty damn close to the convention center. Use Google maps and just pick public transit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can still have the gun in your hotel or motel room (admittedly more needed if you stay in the latter).

You may also lawfully carry openly as you walk around Seattle (or anywhere else in WA).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:My CCW isn't valid in WA, so no guns for me.

In Seattle, you will get at minimum glares and likely asked to leave in many establishments. Don't think about walking in anything considered a bar. And don't get in a car. Or ride the bus or transit. It really makes no sense to carry without ccw.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The Seattle junkies and tweakers/scum class only tend to pick on little old ladies, larger guys they leave alone.  The biggest danger you probably face walking around downtown at night is stepping on a used needle, and no unfortunately I'm not really joking.  They are everywhere down there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Seattle junkies and tweakers/scum class only tend to pick on little old ladies, larger guys they leave alone.  The biggest danger you probably face walking around downtown at night is stepping on a used needle, and no unfortunately I'm not really joking.  They are everywhere down there.
View Quote
Well, I'm not a little old lady, but I'm not a larger guy either (except around the middle a bit maybe).

I don't plan on being out late, either. I'm typically in bed before 11.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea, I don't know if OP realizes that WA is an open carry state.  Without a WA CPL you can still carry a loaded firearm openly.  Being in a vehicle counts as concealed so you'll have to unload the chamber+(EDIT) unseat the magazine (and never loaded long gun) in vehicle.  So you could legally bring an AR15 on a sling and walk around downtown, but I'd say handgun in a holster is a better call.

Seattle is one of the safest cities I've ever been in.  Yes there are a ton more homeless people than there used to be due to retarded policies, but unless you're walking under the highway pylons where they have their tents you'll be fine.  That said, F Seattle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I walked up into town from Pike Place a couple summers ago. No problem. I was kinda bored, so I spent the $15 on that big ferris wheel. It was worth it. IIRC, you can catch a little train up to the very south end of Lake Union and tour a couple of old ships.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea, I don't know if OP realizes that WA is an open carry state.  Without a WA CPL you can still carry a loaded firearm openly.  Being in a vehicle counts as concealed so you'll have to unload the chamber+(EDIT) unseat the magazine (and never loaded long gun) in vehicle.  So you could legally bring an AR15 on a sling and walk around downtown, but I'd say handgun in a holster is a better call.

Seattle is one of the safest cities I've ever been in.  Yes there are a ton more homeless people than there used to be due to retarded policies, but unless you're walking under the highway pylons where they have their tents you'll be fine.  That said, F Seattle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hotel is on one side of I-5 and the conference is just on the other, but it looks like Pike goes over the interstate, not under it.

I'm sure not planning to open carry. That's enough trouble even here in rural MO with a recognized CCW license.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My hotel is on one side of I-5 and the conference is just on the other, but it looks like Pike goes over the interstate, not under it.

I'm sure not planning to open carry. That's enough trouble even here in rural MO with a recognized CCW license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pike goes over, lots of bars around there, lots of foot traffic around there. The convention center is literally on top of I5. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#19]
+1, The light rail is fine from the airport.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:I'm sure not planning to open carry. That's enough trouble even here in rural MO with a recognized CCW license.
View Quote
Maybe you didn't understand; open carry is legal in WA, Seattle included.  There is no "enough trouble".

Now, if you simply prefer not to carry openly there is nothing wrong with that, but don't blame it on some imagined fear of trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top