Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2020 2:32:47 PM EDT
My wife and I will be visiting S.C. next week. We both carry and wanted to know what the generic laws are there. I know some places have mandatory LEO notification if you are interacting with them.

Anything that you can tell me or provide a place for me to read up would be great.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum page (SLED CWP).

That link will take you to a page that shows what state's permits have reciprocity with SC (NOTE: SC does not recognize non-resident permits).

On the left side of that page in copper color you can then go to "SC Gun Laws".
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum page (SLED CWP).

That link will take you to a page that shows what state's permits have reciprocity with SC (NOTE: SC does not recognize non-resident permits).

On the left side of that page in copper color you can then go to "SC Gun Laws".
View Quote

Thank you ThePontificator.
I saw SLED CWP but did not know what it was.
I should be good, I have a Va resident permit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope you enjoy your visit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hope you enjoy your visit.
View Quote

I am visiting family so it should be a good visit. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You have a duty to inform if an officer identifies themselves by law enforcement AND asks for ID.
You can carry in establishments that serve alcohol, but you can not drink in them while you are carrying.
There is no law stopping you from throwing your carry piece in your glove box, go in and get a drink, and then when you leave putting your gun back on. If you are involved in a shooting, your BAC level may be taken and by law can be factored in to the investigation, however.
You can't carry in state & federal buildings, polling places, schools, churches.. blah blah blah. Rest stops are excluded by law from this restriction.
No Concealed Carry signs do carry the weight of law here, but they have to be the exact size, form, and placement on the building an every entrance as prescribed by law, otherwise they do not carry the weight of law.
With a CWP you can carry in any open or closed compartment in your vehicle, without a CWP you can only carry in closed compartments such as glove, trunk, etc..
You need express consent from a homeowner or lessee to carry into someone's home, this does not apply to public businesses.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
It’s been a long time since I’ve been on there, but the site: handgunlaw.us is a good way to look at all states laws together in one place. Just realize that what’s on any website (other than a states official website) can have incorrect or outdated information.

Must inform on official contact from law enforcement. Not sure if simply when they ask for ID. And SB 308 added that concealed weapons permit holders can carry under their seat as well as any open or closed storage area in the vehicle.

Look up the signage requirements. They’re very specific. Many businesses have incorrect signage or it is not easily visible. Take that for what it is and decide accordingly. We don’t want your visit to be marred by being the test case in court for whether or not a business had the correct signage. There is no open carry.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You have a duty to inform if an officer identifies themselves by law enforcement AND asks for ID.
You can carry in establishments that serve alcohol, but you can not drink in them while you are carrying.
There is no law stopping you from throwing your carry piece in your glove box, go in and get a drink, and then when you leave putting your gun back on. If you are involved in a shooting, your BAC level may be taken and by law can be factored in to the investigation, however.
You can't carry in state & federal buildings, polling places, schools, churches.. blah blah blah. Rest stops are excluded by law from this restriction.
No Concealed Carry signs do carry the weight of law here, but they have to be the exact size, form, and placement on the building an every entrance as prescribed by law, otherwise they do not carry the weight of law.
With a CWP you can carry in any open or closed compartment in your vehicle, without a CWP you can only carry in closed compartments such as glove, trunk, etc..
You need express consent from a homeowner or lessee to carry into someone's home, this does not apply to public businesses.
View Quote

Thank you. This kind of info was exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It’s been a long time since I’ve been on there, but the site: handgunlaw.us is a good way to look at all states laws together in one place. Just realize that what’s on any website (other than a states official website) can have incorrect or outdated information.

Must inform on official contact from law enforcement. Not sure if simply when they ask for ID. And SB 308 added that concealed weapons permit holders can carry under their seat as well as any open or closed storage area in the vehicle.

Look up the signage requirements. They’re very specific. Many businesses have incorrect signage or it is not easily visible. Take that for what it is and decide accordingly. We don’t want your visit to be marred by being the test case in court for whether or not a business had the correct signage. There is no open carry.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check out the website for further info.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring oc, and plenty of spare mags.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats the law on having a loaded AR pistol in a vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Pistol ar is still just a pistol. Handgun rules apply.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought so too, but what confuses me it their definition of a handgun is 12" or less.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
This is typically measured from the baseplate of an inserted mag or butt of the grip to the muzzle ...

(5) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is typically measured from the baseplate of an inserted mag or butt of the grip to the muzzle ...

View Quote

I'm reading the greatest dimension on an AR pistol would be from the muzzle to the end of the buffer tube. Even if it is muzzle to back of the grip, most all AR pistols would still be too long.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm reading the greatest dimension on an AR pistol would be from the muzzle to the end of the buffer tube. Even if it is muzzle to back of the grip, most all AR pistols would still be too long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To conceal it under SC CWP law, yeah.  It has to be under 12" per the section of law that I quoted.  Put the end of a tape measure on the muzzle, hold the tape at 12 inches, and swing an arc across the firearm.  It is not legal under SC CWP law to be carried concealed if anything about the firearm exceeds that 12 inches as you swing that arc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought so too, but what confuses me it their definition of a handgun concealable weapon is 12" or less.
View Quote

FIFY

@swampvol
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FIFY

@swampvol
View Quote

ugh..in my public school educated mind, all of this is clear as mud.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I thought so too, but what confuses me it their definition of a handgun is 12" or less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12" or less is for a pistol you are carrying. Other pistols must in the console, trunk, glove compartment OR in a closed case
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

12" or less is for a pistol you are carrying. Other pistols must in the console, trunk, glove compartment OR in a closed case
View Quote

So basically you have the same guidelines to follow with an AR pistol as you do with a rifle when carrying in a vehicle in SC?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So basically you have the same guidelines to follow with an AR pistol as you do with a rifle when carrying in a vehicle in SC?
View Quote

Correct me if im wrong, but i didnt think you could carry a loaded rifle in the vehicle permit or not?  The AR pistol allows carry loaded, correct?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Correct me if im wrong, but i didnt think you could carry a loaded rifle in the vehicle permit or not?  The AR pistol allows carry loaded, where it is a AOW correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct me if im wrong, but i didnt think you could carry a loaded rifle in the vehicle permit or not?  The AR pistol allows carry loaded, where it is a AOW correct?

Careful with that language. AOW requires a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Prefer you don't come to riot/protest/loot.  

Otherwise, welcome!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Careful with that language. AOW requires a tax stamp.
View Quote

See what you mean, edited
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correct me if im wrong, but i didnt think you could carry a loaded rifle in the vehicle permit or not?  The AR pistol allows carry loaded, correct?
View Quote

My understanding is no loaded rifle unless you're on the road adjacent to the property you are hunting.
As for the ar pistol, that is the question no one seems to have a definitive answer for.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My understanding is no loaded rifle unless you're on the road adjacent to the property you are hunting.
As for the ar pistol, that is the question no one seems to have a definitive answer for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law is pretty poorly worded, but it sounds like traveling in a vehicle is excluded from the restriction.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to hunt from a public road or railroad right-of-way if the person does not have permission to hunt the land immediately adjacent to the public road or railroad right-of-way.

(B)(1) For purposes of this section, "hunting" includes:

(a) taking deer by occupying stands for that purpose; or

(b) possessing, carrying, or having readily accessible:

(i) a loaded centerfire rifle; or

(ii) a shotgun loaded with shot size larger than number four.

(2) For purposes of this section, "loaded" means a weapon within which any ammunition is contained.

(3) For purposes of this section, the terms "possessing", "carrying", and "having readily accessible" do not include a centerfire rifle or shotgun which is contained in a:

(a) closed compartment;

(b) closed vehicle trunk; or a

(c) vehicle traveling on a public road.

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The law is pretty poorly worded, but it sounds like traveling in a vehicle is excluded from the restriction.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to hunt from a public road or railroad right-of-way if the person does not have permission to hunt the land immediately adjacent to the public road or railroad right-of-way.

(B)(1) For purposes of this section, "hunting" includes:

(a) taking deer by occupying stands for that purpose; or

(b) possessing, carrying, or having readily accessible:

(i) a loaded centerfire rifle; or

(ii) a shotgun loaded with shot size larger than number four.

(2) For purposes of this section, "loaded" means a weapon within which any ammunition is contained.

(3) For purposes of this section, the terms "possessing", "carrying", and "having readily accessible" do not include a centerfire rifle or shotgun which is contained in a:

(a) closed compartment;

(b) closed vehicle trunk; or a

(c) vehicle traveling on a public road.

View Quote

Interesting.

Sounds like the law is mainly to stop poaching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top