Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2021 7:42:49 PM EDT
Hello Fellow Gun Enthusiasts, I too enthusiast on guns...

So next month me and about 5 other guys are headed that way for our annual trip. Day trip Joshua Tree, wedding Malibu, visit Sequoia-King's Canyon, two days in Yosemite, across Tioga, see Mono Lake, day trip Death valley, and finish on the Mojave Road. Yes, I know that's a lot in short time and it'll be really hot. But it's 98 here with a feels like temp of 106 while Death valley was 106 feeling like 99. But we're all prepared for that.

Questions are about guns. I know that guns in the vehicle cannot be loaded, mags can, and be locked in a trunk or locked container regardless of passenger or driver. I keep reading, "must not be concealed" -- does that mean the safe can't be concealed? What would be a good safe to roll with? I used to have one of those center console safes but it took away space I needed.

There is no reciprocity whatsoever so there is no concealed and don't even think about it.

Magazines are to be no more than 10 rounds -- I know the 9th rejected that but is it still being enforced? I carry a P365XL and would prefer to take that with me as that's the one I've become most adjusted to. I know they make a 10 rounder but I have a few spare 12, could I pin those down myself and still be kosher?

We'll be spending half that time camping, and I don't think a ranger will come into our tents and look for a gun anyway -- so no issues?

Anything else I should be aware of? I may not like the laws, I know y'all don't, but I'm not trying to get into any trouble either.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello Fellow Gun Enthusiasts, I too enthusiast on guns...

So next month me and about 5 other guys are headed that way for our annual trip. Day trip Joshua Tree, wedding Malibu, visit Sequoia-King's Canyon, two days in Yosemite, across Tioga, see Mono Lake, day trip Death valley, and finish on the Mojave Road. Yes, I know that's a lot in short time and it'll be really hot. But it's 98 here with a feels like temp of 106 while Death valley was 106 feeling like 99. But we're all prepared for that.

Questions are about guns. I know that guns in the vehicle cannot be loaded, mags can, and be locked in a trunk or locked container regardless of passenger or driver. I keep reading, "must not be concealed" -- does that mean the safe can't be concealed? What would be a good safe to roll with? I used to have one of those center console safes but it took away space I needed.

There is no reciprocity whatsoever so there is no concealed and don't even think about it.

Magazines are to be no more than 10 rounds -- I know the 9th rejected that but is it still being enforced? I carry a P365XL and would prefer to take that with me as that's the one I've become most adjusted to. I know they make a 10 rounder but I have a few spare 12, could I pin those down myself and still be kosher?

We'll be spending half that time camping, and I don't think a ranger will come into our tents and look for a gun anyway -- so no issues?

Anything else I should be aware of? I may not like the laws, I know y'all don't, but I'm not trying to get into any trouble either.

View Quote

This is the general info provided on the doJ site (format doesn't copy well):
For transportation:
"Handguns California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .) The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device . This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .)
Rifles and Shotguns Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container . However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported . A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code section 30510 or 30515 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 25610."

As visitors, you are not allowed to import anything defined as an assault weapon, that's just in there covering Ca residents transporting their own firearms.  Note that while something may not be required to be in a locked container in the vehicle in transport, there are requirements regarding "open carry" (As in there isn't any for the most part) and getting to or from the vehicle to the place of business, residence, campsite, etc., is probably best done in a container/case of some sort for practicality, visual security, convenience, etc.  Unloaded in a locked container is not "concealed." it's the legal way to transport.  Hiding the container from casual view is probably a good idea, if nothing else, less inviting to the window breakers, etc.

As to the type of containers?  The idea is that the driver, etc., doesn't have immediate access to a loaded firearm, handguns being cased requiring some effort to locate the case, unlock the case, then load the firearm, not something easily done while driving.  People use a wide range of soft or hard cases, depending on the firearm, where they want it to fit, etc.  Auto burglaries being a problem the more secure the case and fastened somehow securely to the frame or a solid metal point of some sort slows down opportunistic thieves.

Not sure if they've defined "utility" compartment.  But a pistol loose in a locked glove compartment is not OK.  I don't know that I'd put a pistol in a locked container in a glove compartment.  That's often where registration or insurance docs are carried so to avoid mixing things up if you need to retrieve them put the locked case someplace else.

Remote camping in the desert or other public lands, in camp carry isn't likely to be an issue.  Legal or not, if camping in an established national park campsite, like Yosemite, you aren't going to see people carrying around the campfire.

I don't think there is a problem if you've pinned/riveted your own mags.  Just so it's not an easily reversed process.  You'd have to have really bad luck/bad behavior to get to the point that they are looking at how you pinned a couple of mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Case does not need to be in the trunk.  I recommend it not be visible, because cops in CA can search your vehicle without a warrant or probable cause to find firearms and ensure they are unloaded and otherwise being transported correctly.  Don't give them any reason to go fishing or waste your time, or worse.  Gun needs to be unloaded, mags can be loaded, case must be locked.  Mags and ammo do not have to be locked up.

If you are in an unincorporated area where discharge is not unlawful, you can open carry loaded firearms (long guns or handguns).  I do this quite often myself.  State Parks can be strict about having firearms at all, though.  Federal parks, forests, etc. are usually not like that.  Discharge on or across the road is unlawful in pretty much every county, so open vehicle carry is out of the question unless you're not driving on an actual/official road.

In your campsite (I'd narrowly define it, to be safe), you can legally open or concealed carry without a permit.

Before Freedom Week, I just put blocks in my mags and left it at that, some insist it must be pinned and/or welded.  Opinions vary widely on this one, and DOJ's only attempt to try to make a strict requirement in the regs was withdrawn prior to enactment years ago.  Do what you feel most comfortable doing.  But yeah, 10-round mag capacity limit.

If carrying in a locked case, there are limits when doing so outside of a vehicle.  You have to be going immediately to and from a range, shooting locations, hunting, your residence, other residences or private property where you are allowed to have your gun, an FFL, etc.  Of course, out in the boonies, you're not likely to have an issue unless you end up having to use it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You're not kidding - lots crammed into a short time.

Couple of recommendations if they fit your travel route

June Lake Brewing - just south of Mono Lake.

Indian Wells Brewing Company west of Ridgecrest (Hwy395/Hwy14) - I like their Mojave Red and Death Valley Root Beer (no alcohol).

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If we don't make everything then oh well. We'll try out best but don't want to rush and not get to things either.

Thank y'all for the advice and info! Keep them coming -- like said, I'm not trying to meet the wrong cop and ruin a trip.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Moro Rock at Kings Canyon is worth the stop

Do you have reservations for Yosemite?  Does anyone in your group have a National Parks Pass?

Traffic in the greater LA area is a complete shit show - getting from Joshua Tree to Malibu at the wrong time of day will not be fun.  Malibu to Santa Clarita (going to Kings Canyon) can get ugly as well.  Plan accordingly and allow for extra time.

< grew up in Thousand Oaks, was in SoCal last week and driving in LA reminds me why I hate LA every time I go there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top