Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2023 10:23:36 PM EDT
We are heading to Cleveland for four days in July. Mainly because my oldest boy wants to see the RnR HOF. We're also thinking about going to the zoo and seeing the Christmas Story house. Anything else to checkout and any restaurant recommendations while in town? My kids are 12 and 7 so looking for stuff that are family friendly. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The USS Cod submarine memorial is close to the RnR HoF. That’s pretty cool and family friendly.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g50207-d137605-Reviews-USS_Cod_Submarine_Memorial-Cleveland_Ohio.html

The Goodtime III boat tour of Cleveland is also nearby:

https://goodtimeiii.com/
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend both these as well (USS Cod and Goodtime river cruise)  
And yes the river caught fire, it was a long time ago and it’s not like that anymore.
The CLE art museum is very nice as well.  
I’m not sure if I’d bother with the Christmas story house.   I think you would be underwhelmed and the area that it’s in isn’t real nice.
Little Italy is nice in the day time
West side market is pretty cool
Lake view cemetery is really nice as well
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bear in mind that the Art museum is a full day in itself. It's huge and is I think rated the #2 art museum in the country. A 7 yr old might not appreciate it, but the natural history museum is next door and is very kid friendly as is the great lakes science center next to the hof.
View Quote

The arms and armor section at the art musem appeals to kids of all ages.  Some of the other relics should still be interesting to kids, depending on what they like.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go to the Christmas story house, the Rowley Inn is right around the corner. I hear the food there is incredible.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The Cleveland Aquarium might be fun, I was only there once years ago.  Same for the zoo. Neither stands as being all that memorable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you go to the Christmas story house, the Rowley Inn is right around the corner. I hear the food there is incredible.

View Quote

Make sure you are carrying a pistol in this part of town.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bear in mind that the Art museum is a full day in itself. It's huge and is I think rated the #2 art museum in the country. A 7 yr old might not appreciate it, but the natural history museum is next door and is very kid friendly as is the great lakes science center next to the hof.
View Quote

CMA is one of the best art museums in the US if not the world and admission is free.  Parking is not free though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad might be fun for young kids.  You can ride the train both ways, or just one way and ride a bike or kayak, the other direction.  Get off at any stop.

There might be bike and/or kayak rentals, we always have our own so I’m not sure about that.

https://www.cvsr.org/
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, I'll definitely have to check out the museums
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The science center next to the rock hall has a 60ft 11k watt movie screen.

The art museum and natural history require a side trip to get there. I once took kids about that age there for their first big dino skeletons and planetarium show. They liked the gift shop the most lol.

While not kid stuff, you will be driving past Camp Perry
https://thecmp.org
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
What foods do you like? Good restaurants in Little Italy but parking can be a challenge if you don't know the area.

Where will you be staying?

When relying on GPS, Google Maps, etc when going across town (eg somewhere on the west side to Shaker Heights), DO NOT take routes that include Woodland, Buckeye, Central, Quincy, Buckeye.
Opportunity Corridor is fine but go all the way to Carnegie, don't get off at Woodland.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Cleveland Museum of Art is fantastic, and the main collection is free. Like someone else said, the parking garage isn't free

Some of the interior scenes at SHIELD headquarters in Captain America Winter Soldier were filmed in the atrium there. You won't see the big statue though

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While not kid stuff, you will be driving past Camp Perry
https://thecmp.org
View Quote

Cedar Point as well.  Best roller coaster park in the US!
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What foods do you like? Good restaurants in Little Italy but parking can be a challenge if you don't know the area.

When relying on GPS, Google Maps, etc when going across town (eg somewhere on the west side to Shaker Heights), DO NOT take routes that include Woodland, Buckeye, Central, Quincy, Buckeye.
Opportunity Corridor is fine but go all the way to Carnegie, don't get off at Woodland.
View Quote

We're staying at the Drury Plaza Hotel right in downtown. The kids can be picky but Little Italy sounds like a winner.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Skip the "Opportunity" Corridor, too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We're staying at the Drury Plaza Hotel right in downtown. The kids can be picky but Little Italy sounds like a winner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mia Bella, Mamma Santa's, Maxi's Bistro, and Guarino's are all good. Guarino's has its own parking lot, a rarity in Little Italy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of good restaurants along the river too
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]
The Cleveland Museum of Art is the most underrated attraction in Cleveland, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Terminal Tower observation deck is another cool thing to do.  Very cool old art deco skyscraper.  
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/terminal-tower-observation-deck-self-guided-tour-tickets-643060369877?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Cleveland Aquarium might be fun, I was only there once years ago.  Same for the zoo. Neither stands as being all that memorable.
View Quote

The Aquarium is incredibly expensive for what it is.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Aquarium is incredibly expensive for what it is.
View Quote

And very small.  I cannot recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Agreed that the aquarium is underwhelming and too expensive for what it is. The natural history museum Is usually amazing but a waste of time right now due to a large portion of it being closed for construction.

The art and science museums are great. Same with the uss cod and zoo. There are tons of great restaurants where already stated. East 4th and west 6th are popular spots, not sure how kid friendly west 6th is though.

Just be mindful of the homeless. A lot of them downtown and around tower city.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Mama Santa's in little Italy has spectacular pizza.  It's close to all the museums.  Oh and if you're up there lake view cemetery has president Garfield's tomb.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mama Santa's in little Italy has spectacular pizza.  It's close to all the museums.  Oh and if you're up there lake view cemetery has president Garfield's tomb.
View Quote

Only get the pizza!! The rest of the meu is "meh".
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only get the pizza!! The rest of the meu is "meh".
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Ps

Ohgo.com

Worth a pre trip route look :)
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Garfield's tomb is under construction.I would call before going. Goodtime 3 is a river lake boat tour. Last few days a lot of Car jackings and other silly shit Downtown.  Stay Alert. Have fun.

https://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/visit/garfield-memorial#.V7bEPctOnqA
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top