Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2021 7:58:48 PM EDT
Bringing  my family tomorrow through Sunday. Anything we need to do or see? Any places to avoid?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid?
The oceanfront at night.

Approx where are you staying?

Ages of kids?

There is a water park called Ocean Breeze
The Virginia aquarium is cool.
There is an adventure park at the Virginia Aquarium with zip line course through the trees.
A military aviation museum
You can hit the observation area near Oceana navel air station and see lots of navy jets
There is a pretty nice range/shop called Freedom Shooting Center
Hmmmm what else, what kind of stuff are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
There is fishing out of rudee inlet. Headboats run daily, half day trips. It’s a decent boat ride even if you don’t do much fishing.
There is a charter speedboat trip on a boat called the Rudee Rocket that is cool.
Lots of golf in the area.

I-fly indoor skydiving (basically a vertical wind tunnel)
In Norfolk there is the USS Wisconsin battleship (idk if it is open for tours right now due to Covid BS) there is also Nauticus which has a lot of navel military museum stuff
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
There is Norfolk Botanical gardens which is a nice walk with some pretty cool plants, butterfly gardens etc.

Harbor park is good if you want to catch a baseball game.

False cape state park and first landing state park both have nice coastal hiking areas.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information. Kids are 16 and 18. We are headed to the aquarium Thursday. Does the gun shop rent full auto?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Website shows they do.  What's the vacation ammo budget?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the gun shop rent full auto?
View Quote

I know they used to before the ammo shortage BS. IIRC you must buy their ammo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We made it here. We are staying on High Point Ave.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The military aviation museum in pungo is open if you are into WWI and WWII airplanes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We made it here. We are staying on High Point Ave.
View Quote

Cool!! You are walking distance from a great restaurant, Rudee’s
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cool!! You are walking distance from a great restaurant, Rudee’s
View Quote
we drove past that on the way to the aquarium.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My family enjoyed the Rudee Rocket. Our picture from it just popped up last week on my phone. We saw quite a few dolphins, which was neat. Another time we were down there we went kayaking off the beach, and had dolphins swimming up right next to us, that was really cool. We always play a round at Jungle Golf as well. Nothing that great, basic mini-golf, but it's just a tradition for us. And if you're looking for a cheap meal, the Wendy's across the street had normal prices, rather than elevated @ the beach pricing you usually see.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Kind of a wash out today.  Wife and kids may go to the mall. Guys that live here. Do you ever get tired of the jets?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Never get tired of the jets. We love them. And sometimes there are foreign jets that come in for training.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kind of a wash out today.  Wife and kids may go to the mall. Guys that live here. Do you ever get tired of the jets?
View Quote

That's the sound of Freedom!
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's the sound of Freedom!
View Quote

FREEDOM BONER!

I would check out the military aviation museum if you can

Go to bay local for brunch

There is a place at townecenter called apex entertainment.  Think Dave and busters on roids

Big sams around the corner from you bass a decent breakfast for the price .

Super high class and expensive? Check out oriens roof and the distillery across the street in the cavalier

Couple of breweries are close to you.  

Also, get fish tacos from gringos on Norfolk ave .

Drive across the bay bridge tunnel because you can

Walk around first landing state park and check out the cape Henry lighthouse

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you or the kids are into the jets at all, if you have time stop by the NAS Oceana Jet Viewing Area, it's on Google maps. They come in really low directly overhead for landing. One day a massive cargo plane came in over us, it was quite the experience.

We just moved to the Stafford area from WI last fall, but we spent anywhere from 6-8 weeks a year in the Hampton Roads area visiting family for at least the last 10 years, and I never got tired of the jets myself. I always stop to look up and check them out every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top