Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2020 4:23:51 PM EDT
Wife wants some beach time; we're new to the state (Alexandria) and she seems to want to go to Virginia Beach.

I seem to recall some concerns expressed around here about the neighborhood. . . or maybe that was Newport Beach!

Anyway please share, thanks.

Also happy to hear any other suggestions:  Williamsburg, Shenandoah Natl Park, etc.  Our only outing has been an afternoon at Manassas/Bull Run. . .
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want beaches, I recommend the Outer Banks instead. They are just reopening. It is about an extra 90 minutes or so from driving to VA Beach. It is much more a beach culture in my opinion, especially for a couple's outing. If you go, go to Tortuga's Lie (a "dive" in Nags Head).

That said, Williamsburg is a bunch closer, and for a weekend is probably a better option. The restaurants are really good (once they reopen), and there is plenty to walk and see. If you stay in the Colonial Williamsburg area it is more spendy but more convenient.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends. What is your experience with beaches?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
VB sucks, at least the beach Part does.  

Williamsburg is more interesting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I understand the Oceanfront is opened only for exercise and fishing. That applies to the entire state, from what I understand on the governor's order.

VB sort of went a bit above that and included surfing, since it is a form of exercise.

So with that in mind, I don't think it is a good idea to come down here for the weekend. I don't know about OBX, but it may be better. Also, I don't know if the rules apply to military bases. I have yet to drove into the beach areas to check on that, but I recommend Ft Story beaches as they are just as good as OBX but way less people. They only have a small gas station/PX but it's enough to pack the ice boxes.

Also, keep in mind, Virginia Beach has the highest covid-19 cases in the HR area. Now this might be higher because they're doing more tests compared to the other cities in the HR area, but I suspect that due to the Oceanfront, we're seeing higher numbers. So keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The ocean front is a commercial nightmare of hotels and bars.  Not real family friendly in my opinion. Much like ocean city MD.  But you can rent a hotel room for a few days.

Sandbridge is a mix of rental houses and full time residents.  Only 2 restaurants and a big condo at south end.  Much quieter and family friendly.  Rental houses are weekly rentals.  You might be able to get a weekend rental due to C-19.  

Not many people here right now.  Beaches are open except for sunbathing.

If you buy a cheap rod at walmart you are fishing and that is allowed.I am amazed at how many people fish now days.

The beach is getting rebuilt right now so lots of noisy bulldoziers running back and forth.

Covid rates are about 550 people infected out of 450,000.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to VA Beach but ended up spending my time in museums especially the USS Wisconsin complex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top