Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2023 3:15:12 PM EDT
Gold, Lies and Videotape
The Mystery Of Victorio Peak

The first episode aired Jan 13 on Discovery

I was stationed on WSMR in the late 70's as an MP, as part of the security we had to periodically check the remote gates and also check the cave entrance on Victorio peak which was now secured with a steel grate, we performed these checks via a Huey. I remember flying into Victorio peak and noticing the nice roads the Army had built from the east side of the mountain, there were no sites up there on the peak so it was odd that they went to the trouble of building roads to the cave from the Missile Range side of the mountain. We as MP's would every now and then after too many beers speculate on what happened up there and some of us thought that the army had gotten in there at some time and opened up the cave.

Anybody watch the first episode?
Anyone have any stories?

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Always enjoyed the stories about it. Didn't see the show on it however, but it and some of the other lost treasure stories here in NM always captivated my imagination.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#2]
i will be watching the series.
i remember seeing all the early reporting about it.
we shall see if this opens up anything new or is just a rehash.
P.S. if you ever find gold anywhere,never tell anyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
What's really interesting about this treasure hunt is that it is real and the location is known not to mention the government involvement, murder, divorce, betrayal and all the other ingredients that make up a great story.
It's kind of like Oak Island but with actual treasure and artifacts that have been found, I do find it hard to believe that there were that many gold bars down in the mountain, maybe exaggerated a bit on just how much treasure was down in the hole. Just like winning the Lottery finding lost treasure has a high probability of fucking up your life if you don't handle it properly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top