Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/16/2021 6:25:43 AM EDT
Link

A former Democratic state legislator who switched parties after he endorsed Donald Trump is set to launch an insurgent challenge Friday against Republican Gov. Brian Kemp, setting the stage for a race that will test the former president’s influence in Georgia.

Vernon Jones aims to tap into GOP anger at Kemp for resisting Trump’s demands to overturn Joe Biden’s narrow victory in Georgia in November, though his long record as an elected Democratic official seems certain to complicate his bid to win over Republican voters.

Jones said in a tweet that he will make the announcement at a Friday morning press conference outside the state Capitol “highlighting his decision to run” for the seat.

The former president has repeatedly promised to back a primary challenger to Kemp, though it’s not yet clear whether he’ll side with Jones, a lifelong Democrat who gained national attention after he publicly supported Trump’s reelection campaign a year ago. Jones formally switched to the GOP in January, after his term in the Legislature expired.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW.   Back when Republicans Chambliss and Issakson collaborated with Sen. Kennedy on Amnesty, I attended a rally where Vernon Jones spoke.

He walks up to dais while the crowd is milling around chatting away.    In 30 seconds, he had everyone's attention.  

In all of these years, I have never heard a more forceful, unapologetic, and effective defense of America and Conservative policies than I heard from him that day.

If he is the same guy today that he was back then, he is someone to listen too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Jones in many ways, but you know the old accusations (mentioned in the link) would be hammered on by the Dems.  His identity is irrelevant to me, but at least it'd take away the "white" card from them.

I'm not a tremendous Kemp fan and in isolation might go for Jones, but my main issue i this instance is that infighting/challenges usually hurt whoever ends up on the ballot.  Given how tight elections have become, this could hand the election to the Dems.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he is the same guy today that he was back then, he is someone to listen too.
View Quote

I was at one of the rallies at the state capitol building.  Vernon Jones was still a Democrat then.  Hearing him speak was amazing.  A DEMOCRAT standing up in front of a crowd of pissed off Republicans, and we all listened.  His speech went beyond partisan politics, and got to the heart of why the vast majority current lifelong bureaucratic politicians are terrible for America and for Americans.  I found myself agreeing with him, nodding like an idiot, and saying "He's right" to myself, over and over.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
ABK

Anyone but Forrest Kump. Please.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Very recently I've seen an ad in which Jones stated, "It's been 159 days since the presidential election and Kemp hasn't mentioned replacing those
Dominion voting machines. I will on Day 1".

I've felt all along that this is the key to election integrity. Vernon Jones has my support.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have mixed feelings.

I lived in Dekalb County when he was CEO, and still remember how well that went.

Edited to add I'm no fan of Kemp at all.  Actually was hoping there would be someone better to boot him.  Don't know who would be better/worse between Kemp/Jones, unless Jones has truly changed from his past.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Does his rhetoric now outweigh his deeds as the CEO of DeKalb County?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't trust that guy.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very recently I've seen an ad in which Jones stated, "It's been 159 days since the presidential election and Kemp hasn't mentioned replacing those
Dominion voting machines. I will on Day 1".
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#10]
This is hilarious. Jones is a moron and will get slaughtered in the primary.

Between his history of rapes and corruption he doesn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]

He will mention it on day 1.  Plausible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please provide REPUTABLE sources.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's no big secret and a Google search for "Vernon Jones rape" will pull up numerous articles regarding these accusations. It was even mentioned in much more recent news articles regarding Jones' intent to challenge Kemp.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/us/vernon-jones-georgia-brian-kemp.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.ajc.com/news/investigations/rape-claim-vs-ceo-unfolds-in-das-file/HGNUL2CLAND5VDGJ52YCXPUYYE/
http://www.georgiaunfiltered.com/2007/04/documents-concerning-vernon-jones-rape.html
https://creativeloafing.com/content-185075-cover-story-tyrannosaurus-jones
https://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/gbi-to-investigate-rape-allegation-involving-dekalb-ce-georgia-new/article_c385ab9f-9271-5015-8684-067c463ac4ad.html
https://decaturish.com/2020/04/george-on-georgia-the-miseducation-of-vernon-jones/

I would vote for Stacey before I voted for Vernon, he is equally as liberal as Stacey, but far more corrupt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ajc.com/news/investigations/rape-claim-vs-ceo-unfolds-in-das-file/HGNUL2CLAND5VDGJ52YCXPUYYE/
http://www.georgiaunfiltered.com/2007/04/documents-concerning-vernon-jones-rape.html
https://creativeloafing.com/content-185075-cover-story-tyrannosaurus-jones
https://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/gbi-to-investigate-rape-allegation-involving-dekalb-ce-georgia-new/article_c385ab9f-9271-5015-8684-067c463ac4ad.html
https://decaturish.com/2020/04/george-on-georgia-the-miseducation-of-vernon-jones/

I would vote for Stacey before I voted for Vernon, he is equally as liberal as Stacey, but far more corrupt.
View Quote

Your own articles make reference to an alleged encounter from 2005. That no charges were filed from and nothing ever came about between then and 16 years later.

Rape, at this point, seems like complete BS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Voting for Jones will only give us Governor gap tooth in the end.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your own articles make reference to an alleged encounter from 2005. That no charges were filed from and nothing ever came about between then and 16 years later.

Rape, at this point, seems like complete BS.
View Quote

All the left needs is the allegation, that’s guilt right there. Remember Herman Cain?  I don’t know if I can trust Jones, maybe this is the play by the left to finally get gap tooth fat fuck as Governor and we’ll be the ones to do it. Maybe this State needs some bad Dem injection to turn back right.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All the left needs is the allegation, that’s guilt right there. Remember Herman Cain?  I don’t know if I can trust Jones, maybe this is the play by the left to finally get gap tooth fat fuck as Governor and we’ll be the ones to do it. Maybe this State needs some bad Dem injection to turn back right.
View Quote

We're for sure at the point in which the mere allegation is more important than the veracity of the claim.

Get someone to sell their soul, pile on 2-5 more allegations, guy is toast before even fighting the first one.

I would like to know what came about from this alleged encounter before voting for Jones but I'm not disqualifying him simply based on something from 2005 that looks like it got zero traction afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think they really need a play at this point. I don't know a single person who's going to vote for Kemp again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't think they really need a play at this point. I don't know a single person who's going to vote for Kemp again.
View Quote

I think it’s a foregone conclusion, I don’t know anyone either who’s voting Kemp. I wouldn’t put it past the Dems though. It’s not like Hershel jumping in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know anything about Jones history. I heard him on a radio talk show here while back. He was saying that he isn't leaving the democrat party, it's leaving him and stuff like that. Basically saying all the "right" things. I remember thinking at best he would be a left leaning RINO worst case he's a plant. I don't think GA needs him either way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about Jones history. I heard him on a radio talk show here while back. He was saying that he isn't leaving the democrat party, it's leaving him and stuff like that. Basically saying all the "right" things. I remember thinking at best he would be a left leaning RINO worst case he's a plant. I don't think GA needs him either way.
View Quote

I do worry about his integrity.  He says all the right things, and backed Trump when backing Trump was career suicide for a Democrat.  Maybe he's just a career grifter.  Could be that's his only motivation: Democrats have long memories and his only chance at getting elected to anything is as a Republican.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I won't vote for Vernon Jones, if he unseats Kemp and makes it to the general election and it's between him and a dem, I just won't vote. I increasingly find myself having to revert to this tactic due to the terrible candidates that it comes down to. It's almost best to just tune out and do my thing and not care anymore. We are banana republic status now anyways and the dollar will be worthless sooner rather than later no matter who is at the helm and once I lose my hope of retirement, the Hell with it all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Vernon will crush Kemp in the primary.  Kemp would probably drop out if he weren't scared for his family's safety by whatever DS creatures are controlling him.  I don't know a single MAGA voter who will support Kemp.

Vernon is familiar with the Dekalb Co mafia since he used to run it.  They won't be able to steal the election from him the way they did for Biden, Ossoff and Warnock.

He's going to be our Governor in 2022 and Hopefully Herschel will run for Senate.  

Securing the vote is Job #1. Then we must break up the good ol boy Rino machine that has run Ga for the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Vernon will crush Kemp in the primary.  Kemp would probably drop out if he weren't scared for his family's safety by whatever DS creatures are controlling him.  I don't know a single MAGA voter who will support Kemp.

Vernon is familiar with the Dekalb Co mafia since he used to run it.  They won't be able to steal the election from him the way they did for Biden, Ossoff and Warnock.

He's going to be our Governor in 2022 and Hopefully Herschel will run for Senate.

Securing the vote is Job #1. Then we must break up the good ol boy Rino machine that has run Ga for the last 40 years.
View Quote
Having any hope in changing the republican party is your first mistake. The republican party at a state and national level has made a living being just barely right of the left and running as the lessor of 2 evils. The republican party is and always will be part of the problem.  The election is always in play with guys like Rothesberger in office. I don't know anyone who will support Kemp and a lot of voters will sit out if Kemp runs against Gap tooth. Gap tooth is a better than 50-50 chance of winning as we sit here today.  Jones says whatever he thinks will get him elected.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's a mighty strong statement coming from you.
View Quote
Very strong.

As you know I have been heavily involved in politics for over a decade. While I dislike all politicians, you have to work hard for me to dislike someone as much as Vernon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We're for sure at the point in which the mere allegation is more important than the veracity of the claim.

Get someone to sell their soul, pile on 2-5 more allegations, guy is toast before even fighting the first one.

I would like to know what came about from this alleged encounter before voting for Jones but I'm not disqualifying him simply based on something from 2005 that looks like it got zero traction afterwards.
View Quote
The allegations don't even matter, Trump was accused of rape and my guess is you still voted for him.

Vernons track record politically is far more worthy of discussion.

For instance, Vernon is pro-abortion. That alone is enough for me to not vote for him.

My buddy Cole Muzio of the Family Policy Alliance called him out on this a couple weeks ago, so he got his social media guy to post some BS tweet about how he "supports the unborn".
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on Arfcom. And I have read a lot on Arfcom.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The allegations don't even matter, Trump was accused of rape and my guess is you still voted for him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's not what I was addressing (in addition to being a comment to someone else).

You put out claims of rape here:

Quoted:

If you want to backtrack it and interject "allegations" somewhere in there, that's fine but you stated his history of rapes of which he has none. The allegations are not only 16 years old, but never even went to court. Completely disingenuous to state his "history of rapes".

Spineless politicians see the first allegation and announce an end to their candidacy . . . the water temp gets too high and they bail without even fighting it because they know the letter in front of their name is the wrong one for the media to be on their side which is why the tactic is effective and is used. It takes someone who doesn't care and willing to fight in the mud (like Trump) to move on from sexual allegations.

Quoted:
Vernons track record politically is far more worthy of discussion.

That's on Vernon then.

If you want to toss out a candidate before listening to what he has to say based on junk evidence from 2005, that is your prerogative.

I personally don't care about what is more than likely old baseless claims against him. What types of legislation he is interesting in signing as Governor is more important than a scorned woman from 2005.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on Arfcom. And I have read a lot on Arfcom.

Thank you
View Quote

You can screen cap it and get back to me when Vernon is sworn in.  The good ol boy establishment republicans are going down to the MAGA version.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Having any hope in changing the republican party is your first mistake.
View Quote

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.  The "republicans" in Ga are going to be replaced via the primary process.  

I'm well aware that the current good ol boy "r" machine in Ga has been half of the problem for many years.  Kemp and Raffensperger put a steak in the heart of that machine by blatantly stealing the vote for Biden.  Job # 1 is securing the vote machine and part of that job will be prosecuting the steal.  It's coming.

In all honestly, the next Governor will be whoever Trump and the MAGAs get behind.  Vernon is best described as an operative, but if he's a MAGA operative he will win.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.  The "republicans" in Ga are going to be replaced via the primary process.  

I'm well aware that the current good ol boy "r" machine in Ga has been half of the problem for many years.  Kemp and Raffensperger put a steak in the heart of that machine by blatantly stealing the vote for Biden.  Job # 1 is securing the vote machine and part of that job will be prosecuting the steal.  It's coming.

In all honestly, the next Governor will be whoever Trump and the MAGAs get behind.  Vernon is best described as an operative, but if he's a MAGA operative he will win.  

View Quote

LMFAO

I think the next few years are going to be very frustrating and disappointing for you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
...and Raffensperger put a steak stake in the heart of that machine by blatantly stealing...
View Quote

Sorry.  Couldn't help it.  I feel better now.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Laughing.  Yep I guess I was putting the cholesterol in their diet.  :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Vernon gets it:  Securing the vote is Job #1 and to do that the 2020 steal must be investigated and perps prosecuted.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Vernon gets it:  Securing the vote is Job #1 and to do that the 2020 steal must be investigated and perps prosecuted.

https://i.imgur.com/3x3cPkf.png
View Quote

That kind of BS might work to beat Kemp in the primaries, but if that's going to be his stance, he doesn't stand a snowball's chance with the urbanites who voted Trump out of office in 2020.

He's going to need to win over the ATL if he wants to beat Abrams, and that's just not going to happen with statements like that.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#38]
He's clearly trying to build critical mass with disgruntled Trump voters right now, then he'll soften his stance to win back some of the "on the fence" liberals later in the campaign.  I don't think he stands a chance, but I also said that about Warnock and The Weasel (Ossof) and we saw what happened there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That kind of BS might work to beat Kemp in the primaries, but if that's going to be his stance, he doesn't stand a snowball's chance with the urbanites who voted Trump out of office in 2020.

He's going to need to win over the ATL if he wants to beat Abrams, and that's just not going to happen with statements like that.

View Quote
I think this is right. But if he wins the ATL vote he'll lose the rural/conservative vote. I don't think he has a shot. I don't see someone riding the fence between the two sides and winning. GA is seriously polarized right now. Just my thoughts though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think this is right. But if he wins the ATL vote he'll lose the rural/conservative vote. I don't think he has a shot. I don't see someone riding the fence between the two sides and winning. GA is seriously polarized right now. Just my thoughts though.
View Quote

This is the result of MAGA Republicans dividing the party. The more they repeat Trump's claims, the more they alienate the moderate R's and the independents. The majority of Americans do not believe Trump's claims, and the R party isn't strong enough or large enough to survive the division.

It's a lose/lose situation for R candidates in GA. Side with Trump, alienate the moderates/independents, and you lose. Oppose Trump, appeal to the moderates/independents, lose the MAGA supporters, and you lose.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#41]
The next Governor will be a full throated MAGA conservative.  Not some squishy, moderate, atlanta suburb courting Karen Handle loser type.  
Trump won the majority of legal votes in GA and job one is to fix the vote machine.  Once that is done, whoever Trump gets behind will win big.

I'd love MTG to run, but I don't think she will in 2022.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Whether you love him, hate him or are indifferent towards him, Shane Hazel is savage.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#44]
How is any Republican going to win the vote in Atlanta? Key for Republicans is to win all the votes in Georgia outside the blue urban areas.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How is any Republican going to win the vote in Atlanta? Key for Republicans is to win all the votes in Georgia outside the blue urban areas.
View Quote

The same way Trump did it (Twice) Don't believe the fake vote of 2020.   Ga will vote overwhelmingly for an America first MAGA candidate.  Herschel could stroll away with any statewide office he wants.  

Cowing to the Atlanta vote and believing the metro soccer moms want a squish is what loses elections for Republicans.... and cheating the vote machine.  

Kemp won the first time by faking like he was a conservative.  I'm embarrassed he got my vote.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The same way Trump did it (Twice) Don't believe the fake vote of 2020.   Ga will vote overwhelmingly for an America first MAGA candidate.  Herschel could stroll away with any statewide office he wants.  

Cowing to the Atlanta vote and believing the metro soccer moms want a squish is what loses elections for Republicans.... and cheating the vote machine.  

Kemp won the first time by faking like he was a conservative.  I'm embarrassed he got my vote.
View Quote

I want to believe but Saint Stacey says you're wrong about that MAGA candidate and Herschel Walker.  

I'm not aware of any Republican/MAGA candidates that have their own religious candles.

You guys think last election cycle was bonkers?  The next one will tell this one to hold its beer.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The next Governor will be a full throated MAGA conservative.  Not some squishy, moderate, atlanta suburb courting Karen Handle loser type.  
Trump won the majority of legal votes in GA and job one is to fix the vote machine.  Once that is done, whoever Trump gets behind will win big.

I'd love MTG to run, but I don't think she will in 2022.
View Quote

Friendly wager?

I've got 100 rds of Federal XM193 that says you're wrong.

My prediction right now is that Abrams takes it by a narrow margin.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Friendly wager?

I've got 100 rds of Federal XM193 that says you're wrong.

View Quote

I'm missing something.  Don't you lose that bet either way?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t se any R winning the next Governors election, Kemp and Raffensberger have depressed the voting base that much. I bet she wins in a land slide as much as I want to throw up saying that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I was at the annual Republican Presidents dinner this week in Buckhead. My generous boss bought a big money table and I had great access to many of our top brass in the party.

Shame on me, Vernon walked up and started chit chat.. I’m like, man you look so familiar. Yeah, it was Vernon and I had no clue. I’m a dumbass and had to ask who he was. Cool story bro I know.

He’s a tall fella... as is Loeffler. She towered over my vertically challenged self.

Anyway, seemed like they were teasing a Herschel run.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top