Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2023 2:09:47 PM EDT
Gave a vehicle to my stepdaughter and her fianc  last year after theirs went tits up.  Signed over the title, went on line and notified MVD of the transfer, it was removed
from my list of vehicles I own.  

Fast forward to today, I pulled a notification out of my mailbox stating the vehicle was abandoned back in January, and I'm going to be fined when I go to renew my DL or registrations on any of my other two vehicles I own.  

So they never registered it in their names after I signed it over, and MVD has my name as the last owner of record .

WTF do I do now?  They aren't speaking to me since I cut the purse strings back in August of last year, and I have no proof of the transfer other than when I went online to MVD to do the notification
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you turned in the registration with the date and transferee's name and address along with the AZ plate you would be golden. No good deed goes' unpunished when your dealing with ungrateful scum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you turned in the registration with the date and transferee's name and address along with the AZ plate you would be golden. No good deed goes' unpunished when you're dealing with ungrateful scum.
View Quote

Well, that part in bold is what has me screwed .
Guess I'll be paying for one of the governors trips to the salon
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Go find it and take it back. Still ur vehicle i guess
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you get a printout or some type of confirmation number when you went on line to notify MVD of the title change? My wife spent 25 years in the car business and advised that you’ll need to go down to MVD and advise them on your actions of that day. Unfortunately that is going to be your best option to rectify the issue. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go find it and take it back. Still ur vehicle i guess
View Quote

I would consider it, but they literally trashed the interior of the vehicle and tore up the front end.  
As I understand it I would be paying all the fees incurred since January to get it out of "lock up", only to have to then pay to have it towed to salvage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you get a printout or some type of confirmation number when you went on line to notify MVD of the title change? My wife spent 25 years in the car business and advised that you'll need to go down to MVD and advise them on your actions of that day. Unfortunately that is going to be your best option to rectify the issue. Hope this helps.
View Quote

No printout, didn't take pics of the title after I signed it over and had it notarized, no notification of anything other than MVD dropped it from the list of vehicles that I currently own.  
I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm
just going to have to pay the fine, and learn another lesson about helping family
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You will be fine. That notice goes out on every single vehicle that is called into the PD when it is impounded or repoed and automatically goes to the last owner. Its not even something they really process at the MVD. It goes through them, but its an automatic thing. If the vehicle has been removed from your online MVD account and marked as sold, they wont ding you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You will be fine. That notice goes out on every single vehicle that is called into the PD when it is impounded or repoed and automatically goes to the last owner. It's not even something they really process at the MVD. It goes through them, but it's an automatic thing. If the vehicle has been removed from your online MVD account and marked as sold, they wont ding you.
View Quote

Thanks, best news I've heard so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top