Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2020 10:14:54 AM EDT
My position was eliminated on May 1 due to a downturn in business. Luckily, I landed a new position that I start at the end of this month. With that position, I will get a company car, which I will take delivery of in January. My current registration expires at the end of this month, and I don't plan on keeping my personal vehicle. If I renew my plate, will I get a pro-rated refund when I get rid of my vehicle? I have tried contacting the SOS, but have not received a reply. I'm thinking of just rolling dirty until the new vehicle arrives.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard of any sort of refund from the SoS.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely no refunds.  But, you can buy a 6-month plate.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get a refund on your insurance, but SoS is going to keep your $$$.

Just like the permanent trailer plate we pay bookoo bucks for.

You sell the trailer and throw the plate away, no refunds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
No.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't you get like a 15-day or 30-day temporary plate?

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The SoS stopped pro-rating plate fees years ago......
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not run your vehicle naked. Insurance saves you from possible financial chaos. Many police departments run license scanning software that eliminates their need to manually input your plate number. It will ping on any expired/lapsed insurance plate it sees giving them notice that you're a scofflaw.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not run your vehicle naked. Insurance saves you from possible financial chaos. Many police departments run license scanning software that eliminates their need to manually input your plate number. It will ping on any expired/lapsed insurance plate it sees giving them notice that you're a scofflaw.

View Quote
I'm not dropping insurance, just contemplating my registration options.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Do we still have the extended protection for expired plates due to SoS being slow because of COVID? Could you just book an SoS appointment a couple months out and drive the expired plate until you get the company car?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I order tabs online in early August and received them in less than a week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do we still have the extended protection for expired plates due to SoS being slow because of COVID? Could you just book an SoS appointment a couple months out and drive the expired plate until you get the company car?
View Quote

Some Kroger and Meijer stores have kiosks for plate renewals. I'm not sure if they allow expired tags to be renewed through the kiosk though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem kind of solved itself. My company car was delivered on Friday and the dealer is buying my vehicle.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Merry Christmas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top