Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2020 11:19:20 PM EDT
Hi,

My SO and I are going to be in Vegas from the 13th-17th this month, and after having 3 days on the Strip, we were thinking of using Sunday to get out of town and see something neat. I heard Red Rock Canyon is really nice, but also can get very crowded on the weekends. Then I heard about the Valley of Fire, and that sounded like it might be a good alternative. Any thoughts from anyone that's been to both? Is it worth the roughly 1 hour drive? I'm also open to other ideas, if anyone has any.

Also has anyone used Turo and had a good experience with it, or am I better off just renting a car the traditional way?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red Rock is crowded and it's not nearly as nice as Valley of Fire. The drive is worth it.
View Quote
Any specific trails or features we should be sure to do or see?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]
We did this recently, and based on your avatar you may like the additional advice given.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Scenic-Roads-Sights-Highways-near-Vegas/22-639942/

I've heard very good things about Turo.

Mouse's Tanks is a cool hike, but much of the beauty is visible from the road.

If you hike in the desert, bring water even if it's cool. If you go for a hike longer than a few miles, bring a packable jacket; temps plunge rapidly at sundown, and many the unweary hiker has frozen to death.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve always liked Valley of Fire much better than Red Rock.

I do the drive that Darcy posted at least a couple times a year.
I don’t do much hiking anymore, but sometimes just find a side road set up my chair and read a book for a couple hours and eat my lunch. The desert is beautiful this time of year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top