Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2022 12:45:52 AM EDT
Recently, the board of KC3 was contacted about the Valley View Ferry. This ferry crosses the Ky. River where the river intersects Highway 169, in Central Ky. The ferry allows automobile traffic between Richmond, Nicholasville and Lexington. There has been a ferry in this location continuously since 1785, seven years before Ky. became a state. The ferry is supported by the governments of the three adjacent counties, Madison, Jessamine and LFUCG. Passage across the river on the ferry is free.
The ferry is governed by the Valley View Ferry Authority Board. Board members are appointed by the County Judge/Exe's of Madison and Jessamine Counties and the Mayor of Lexington. Recently the Valley View Ferry Authority Board wanted to review and rewrite their "Policy and Procedures Handbook". You can see the latest PROPOSED update to that "Handbook" at the link below. Pay particular attention to the last policy, at the bottom of page #9, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/70pevcp15sgteyi/VVF%20Manual.pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR0xo4pBCcXjVQy6Dm7HLA0pAlb3ce1o6b-yNR7cr7FRLcZKJO4-AG9D5Oc
The policy manual was sent to KC3 and we responded by explaining KRS 65.870 to the board members. The Valley View Ferry Authority Board is exactly the kind of "board" mentioned in subsection (1) of KRS 65.870 and they are not permitted to engage in any type of regulation of firearms. I don't know how this policy was ever expected to work. Say a person started from Nicholasville on their way to Richmond and had a gun in their car. If they arrived at the ferry and were told that they could not bring a gun onto the ferry, were they expected to turn around and drive all the way to Lexington and then on to Richmond by a different route? Check out a map and you will see how far that would be and how impractical that would be. It will also explain how this ferry has existed for such a long time. Luckily for everyone involved, our State Legislators passed KRS 65.870 and made this kind of policy or regulation illegal.
After speaking with KC3 board members the Valley View Ferry gun ban was discarded from any further consideration by their board. This is just one more example of the governmental overreach of which we must all be constantly aware. It is time that KC3 was sent some more local government violations to fix. Experience tells me that they are out there, we just need to be pointed in the right direction by some helpful citizens. We have a couple of things in the works but they will take a little longer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
VERY good to hear, as I use that ferry several times a year to go to private ranges. I had never had any cause to consider that this is something that they would try to enact, as it had always been "drive on, cross, drive off". That could get pretty ugly, with the South side crossing, trying to turn around and go back up the hill. (not much room for my stuff to turn around, right there)
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Well 5/7 days it’s operated by a fellow Arfcommer, so it’s a nothing-burger
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well 5/7 days it’s operated by a fellow Arfcommer, so it’s a nothing-burger
View Quote

4/7, but close enough lol

They tried to disarm the employees.

Employees did not comply.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#5]
They're always trying to get your lucky charms
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
2 things here- 1) thanks for the clarification, hoboninja
2) glad that it got shot down.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I came to check this after I was told to by said arfcom member who works the ferry.

I will ignore such violations of the 2nd, 4th, 14th, and violation of 18 U.S. Code § 242 (Deprivation of rights under color of law)
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I came to check this after I was told to by said arfcom member who works the ferry.

I will ignore such violations of the 2nd, 4th, 14th, and violation of 18 U.S. Code § 242 (Deprivation of rights under color of law)
View Quote

That may work just fine for you but what if the violation is from your employer. You can "ignore" it right into the unemployment line. KC3 doesn't "ignore" any of these because we know that they breed like rabbits. Ignoring them will just let them spread. There was a time that these things were everywhere. Now they are a little harder to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top