Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2018 9:39:45 AM EDT
I'm taking the wife and kiddo to Yellowstone in June and would like to see if any of you have suggestions on other things to do/places to stay while there.

We'd like to stay at a dude ranch for a few days for fishing and horseback riding and sightseeing. We're also looking at driving north into Montana to visit Glacier while we're there.

We'll have about 3 weeks total. I'm open to any and all suggestions from the locals.

Looks like the first week we are staying in Moran at Heart6 Ranch, rafting Snake River and  kayaking Jackson Lake, horseback riding, then on up into Yellowstone and possibly into Cody for the second week.

I'm also looking into doing some rearch on a guided elk hunt in the area next year.  Archery preferred.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Cody Firearm Museum is at least a day in itself
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cody Firearm Museum is at least a day in itself
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, looking into it now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You might better luck with responses if you said which entrance to the park you are most interested.  Each one offers very different things.  I would suggest researching different communities surrounding the park and basing your trip in and around Yellowstone from one of those.

Cody, Wy=East Entrance (this one has the Buffalo Bill Center of the West)
Jackson, WY=South Entrance
West Yellowstone, MT=West Entrance
Gardiner, MT=NW Entrance
Cooke City, MT=remote NE Entrance

If you want the tourist thing Jackson has it.  Check out the Gros Ventre (pronounced Grow Vaunt) River Ranch for a dude ranch.  GV River Ranch

Jackson also has Grand Teton National Park, which is very worthy of a visit as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The Buffalo Bill Mueasum has the largest private gun collection, don’t forget the basement displays, drawers full of rifles.  If you go there check out the Heart Mtsn Internment Camp on highway 14A between Powell and Cody.  Depending on the time of year Cody also has nightly rodeos.  The Irma Hotel is the “old western” place, the restaurant has a couple hundred animal heads in the dining room.   It has a decent breakfast buffet.

Google the Beartooth Pass, from Dead Indian to Red Lodge, MT, great dive.  If the kiddos are brave, take some cheap peanuts, the last rest stop on top of the mountain overlooking Red Lodge has chipmunks that will eat out of your hand. The Red Lodge Pizza Company makes a mean pie and downtown is a nice walk.

The road to Yellowstone has a lot of rivers for fishing, as well as the beartooth pass.  Just remember your in bear country.

Once your in/around Yellowstone, READ THE DAMN SIGNS, DONT APPROACH THE WILDLIFE AND STAY ON THE DAMN WALKING PATHES. Every year a tourist gets hurt or killed for being stupid.  Two years ago an idiot jumped into a hot pool thinking it was going to be like a hot tub. His body MELTED. If you want to look at the wildlife along the roadway, park completely off the road.  Every other driver will stop, start rubber necking and we have a 5 mile long traffic jam.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Buffalo Bill Mueasum has the largest private gun collection, don't forget the basement displays, drawers full of rifles.  If you go there check out the Heart Mtsn Internment Camp on highway 14A between Powell and Cody.  Depending on the time of year Cody also has nightly rodeos.  The Irma Hotel is the "old western" place, the restaurant has a couple hundred animal heads in the dining room.   It has a decent breakfast buffet.

Google the Beartooth Pass, from Dead Indian to Red Lodge, MT, great dive.  If the kiddos are brave, take some cheap peanuts, the last rest stop on top of the mountain overlooking Red Lodge has chipmunks that will eat out of your hand. The Red Lodge Pizza Company makes a mean pie and downtown is a nice walk.

The road to Yellowstone has a lot of rivers for fishing, as well as the beartooth pass.  Just remember your in bear country.

Once your in/around Yellowstone, READ THE DAMN SIGNS, DONT APPROACH THE WILDLIFE AND STAY ON THE DAMN WALKING PATHES. Every year a tourist gets hurt or killed for being stupid.  Two years ago an idiot jumped into a hot pool thinking it was going to be like a hot tub. His body MELTED. If you want to look at the wildlife along the roadway, park completely off the road.  Every other driver will stop, start rubber necking and we have a 5 mile long traffic jam.

Enjoy
View Quote
Thanks for the advice.  I'm a life long outdoorsman, ex bull-rider, and I kill hogs with a knife, I have a healthy respect for wildlife. I have always, however, had the notion that I would somehow die with a bear's jaws clamped around my neck.  

And I really, really, appreciate you guys taking the time to write up these posts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You might better luck with responses if you said which entrance to the park you are most interested.  Each one offers very different things.  I would suggest researching different communities surrounding the park and basing your trip in and around Yellowstone from one of those.

Gardiner, MT=NW Entrance

If you want the tourist thing Jackson has it.  Check out the Gros Ventre (pronounced Grow Vaunt) River Ranch for a dude ranch.  GV River Ranch

Jackson also has Grand Teton National Park, which is very worthy of a visit as well.
View Quote
I'm not really leaning in either direction for the moment, posts like yours will go a long way to helping me formulate a plan.  We've got plenty of time to spend there.
Thank you for your post.  It is helpful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gardiner, MT=NW Entrance

View Quote
Thanks for the info.  We're more inclined to stay at Grand Teton now after doing the research.  We will be mobile and have a lot of time on our hands.  Can't wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top