Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2018 8:54:08 PM EDT
My wife went to a luncheon today. The speaker said that Soros is spending 4 million dollars to help get issue 1 passed.

The language on the ballot about what the issue is and does is completely FALSE.

The issue one which is being pushed by a man from California.

At any rate the speaker went on to say that in trying to defeat this issue, there is no money to advertise to stop it.

Look it up online, we do not need this and you will not want this.

After you find out the pros and cons, you will see.

Tell a friend and have them tell their friends.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You had one job OP...

One of the hot-button issues on the upcoming Ohio midterms is State Issue 1, titled "The Neighborhood Safety, Drug Treatment, and Rehabilitation Amendment." There are many people and groups who oppose and support the issue, but what does it aim to do?

One of the main takeaways is if passed, the issue would make the possession, obtainment and use of illegal drugs a misdemeanor. There would also be no jail-time attached to drug sentences for first and second time offenders within a 24-month period. After the third time within that period, the issue states jail time or probation would serve as punishment.

With fewer inmates in jails and prisons, the issue would "require any available funding" to be put towards state-administered rehabilitation programs and crime victim funds.
View Quote
https://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/what-is-issue-1-in-ohio-and-what-will-it-mean-for-ohioans-

Summary link to bill here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Fewer resources wasted on the absurd war on drugs? Sounds good to me. Although I don't know about that rehab and victims funding.

"Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor said "It will tie the hands of judges. They will not be able to incentivize addicts to go for treatment and people will die.""

Hmm, that sounds an awful lot like the scare tactics behind the Patriot Act and gun control legislation and Obamacare and...

https://youtu.be/eXWhbUUE4ko
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fewer resources wasted on the absurd war on drugs? Sounds good to me. Although I don't know about that rehab and victims funding.

"Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor said "It will tie the hands of judges. They will not be able to incentivize addicts to go for treatment and people will die.""

Hmm, that sounds an awful lot like the scare tactics behind the Patriot Act and gun control legislation and Obamacare and...

View Quote
We don't need another amendment to our state constitution. This BTW is being funded by the same leftist billionaires that are going state to state to push to gun control intitatives before the voters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We don't need another amendment to our state constitution. This BTW is being funded by the same leftist billionaires that are going state to state to push to gun control intitatives before the voters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That it is a ballot issue to amend the state constitution is enough for me to vote no. But I still don't know why it's a bad idea other than that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
So, I listened to a presentation by our County prosecutor on Issue 1.

Issue 1 is backed monetarily by George Soros to the tune of $4million.

It is the brainchild of a man from California.

If passed it would immediately mean the release of 10,000 prisoners in Ohio prisons.

It would allow someone caught with enough fentanyl to Overdose all the people in Franklin county to escape jail...this would indicate a dealer! A dealer who would not get jail time.

Do you want your kids sold this?

I also talked to an appeals court Judge that was there, a friend of mine. He said 80% of all crimes done in Ohio are drug related. Shocking! He said most drug users do not get jail time in Ohio, anyway, something this claims to stop.

He said most of the people in jail for drugs are there because there was another crime in there somewhere and they pled guilty to a lesser crime. He said Ohio usually tries to get the person off drugs rather just send them to jail.

He said if the passes, drug use will increase, the number of dealers will increase. Drugs are a huge drain on the finances of every state right now and this issue if passed would send the number beyond what we can afford.

Guys like you and I will pay for the extra that the increased drug usage that this will create.

This is serious, do NOT PASS ThIS.

They could make this a law that would be easier to repeal when we find the harm it will cause to Ohio. Whereas, a change to the constitution will be harder to change back.

VoTE NO
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
More people not incarcerated means they are out using and committing property crimes to get money to buy more drugs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Why is it bad?

In my opinion drugs are an easy way to separate the winners from the losers. Why stand in the way of natural selection?

I see the op has tried to use the children as leverage against this. How about teach the kids personal responsibility?

It is concerning who is funding this, but I'm not so sure this is a bad thing.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I'd imagine the number of overdoses will go way up, but I'm not going to pretend to care about junkies and dope sniffers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The Ohio Legislature already has the power to make or change such a law without amending the Ohio Constitution.  Issue 1 appears to be an endrun around the Ohio Legislature by a handful of rich folks who acquired enough signatures to get it on the ballot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Your telling me this guy doesn't have my best interests at heart? Shocked I am.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why is it bad?

In my opinion drugs are an easy way to separate the winners from the losers. Why stand in the way of natural selection?

I see the op has tried to use the children as leverage against this. How about teach the kids personal responsibility?

I'd imagine the number of overdoses will go way up, but I'm not going to pretend to care about junkies and dope sniffers.
View Quote
The more druggies are in jail and fighting the man.. The less they are breaking into my home to steal my shit.  I give zero fucks for anyone who chooses to live that life. Drugs ruin lives. The laws in place are there to discourage people from wanting to do it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why is it bad?

View Quote
Having more people on drugs is bad for many reasons. People do strange things when on drugs, it might just affect your children...but I would guess you have no children or at least none living with you?

People that buy and sell drugs are dangerous. If you watch First 48 on tv you would know how many people are killed in drug deals and some are just innocent bystanders.
People try to get even with others over drugs. Did not pay, got bad stuff and so they shoot up a guys house or the like. The whole situation is just dangerous. Look at the effect drugs have had on this country in general.
The whole economy has been hurt by the amount of money the govt is spending because of drugs.  It is not like I am using children like the schools use it to get levees passed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Having more people on drugs is bad for many reasons. People do strange things when on drugs, it might just affect your children...but I would guess you have no children or at least none living with you?

People that buy and sell drugs are dangerous. If you watch First 48 on tv you would know how many people are killed in drug deals and some are just innocent bystanders.
People try to get even with others over drugs. Did not pay, got bad stuff and so they shoot up a guys house or the like. The whole situation is just dangerous. Look at the effect drugs have had on this country in general.
The whole economy has been hurt by the amount of money the govt is spending because of drugs.  It is not like I am using children like the schools use it to get levees passed.
View Quote
I'm undecided on Issue 1 so far but I hope you're not it's strongest opponent. Your argument sounds like a suburban stay at home mother trying to convince another mother why guns are bad and contains no factual information. It's literally children, speculation and feelings.

The Simpsons - Helen Lovejoy - Think of the children
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Leftist ballot issues are how to get leftist voters to get off their asses and vote.  And at the same time vote for leftist politicians.  That’s why Soros is pushing this garbage.

The Ohio legislature should’ve passed something to neutralize this, but no, they won’t.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I vote no on all constitutional amendments. If this is something that actually needs done, they the legislators that we all vote into office to create laws should probably go ahead and create that law the correct way.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Voting No.

87% of Ohio doesn’t know what having drug dealers in your neighborhood is like.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Voting No.

View Quote
Agreed.

Most people think legalizing drugs is innocent enough. Your body, you should choose what you put in it right?! (that's what she said)

when you lighten the restriction and penalties for drug use it brings in s**thead pot smoking liberals from other parts of the country. Your state all of the sudden becomes "progressive", look what happened to Colorado. It used to be a decent state now its a hive for liberals.

If we want Ohio to stay red in future election and if we don't want druggies walking among us we MUST vote no.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Agreed.

Most people think legalizing drugs is innocent enough. Your body, you should choose what you put in it right?! (that's what she said)

when you lighten the restriction and penalties for drug use it brings in s**thead pot smoking liberals from other parts of the country. Your state all of the sudden becomes "progressive", look what happened to Colorado. It used to be a decent state now its a hive for liberals.

If we want Ohio to stay red in future election and if we don't want druggies walking among us we MUST vote no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Voting No.

Agreed.

Restrict behavior you don't like, got it. No reason the progressives can't use the same logic to ban all the things they hate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Ohio Legislature already has the power to make or change such a law without amending the Ohio Constitution.  Issue 1 appears to be an endrun around the Ohio Legislature by a handful of rich folks who acquired enough signatures to get it on the ballot.
View Quote
Yes and rich out of state folks at that!

Ive been saying this since the smoking ban was passed. This is the fatal flaw in Ohio's Constitution. Its way too easy for some do gooder group to get an initiative put on the ballot...get the backing of some billionaire, round up a bunch of out of signatures, run a bunch of misleading "for the children" adds on TV and boom! Not only does their cause become law, but its also etched in our State Constitution with a simple majority.  There are a lot of dumb people out there that will vote for anything without thinking. Never underestimate the power of stupidity amongst the masses.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
The real argument against drugs is that they are bad for individual users, bad for their families and friends, bad for their employers, and bad for society as a whole.  The worse a drug is the more restricted it is.

We don’t have a sane drug policy that handles it as a health problem; still, I don’t buy this issue as a step in the right direction or the right way to deal with the problems the war on drugs itself has caused.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm undecided on Issue 1 so far but I hope you're not it's strongest opponent. Your argument sounds like a suburban stay at home mother trying to convince another mother why guns are bad and contains no factual information. It's literally children, speculation and feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg
View Quote
I talked to a local appeals court judge as well as our county prosecutor about this issue.

I have given several facts....1 being that 10,000 people in prison over drugs will be released. Maybe you cannot read well enough to have read that??

As I previously stated, most people in Jail in Ohio over drugs, did not go to jail for a single drug possession charge as per both individuals I talked to.

Most people in jail for drugs have plead down from another crime to a crime of possession. The state already has programs to rehab drug users.

California has a far worse drug problem than Ohio, the guy who wrote and promoted this issue is a Californian. Is that what YOU want in Ohio, if you support it, give me some facts why it would be good for Ohio. Or do you just crap on someones elses thread with nothing to add??0
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know about other areas, but they are not sending anyone to prison here for Felony 5 possession of drugs.  They get probation/court ordered rehab.  If they mess up enough, they might do a little time.  I'm pretty sure its a statewide thing due to prison overcrowding and expense.

Which leads me to believe this is all about money.  Why would someone from California push this here?  No thanks, something is screwy.

ETA: Also to spur voter turnout, as someone else pointed out.  But also someone is probably getting a kickback.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Voting yes. No more wasting money on the already lost war on drugs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Voting yes. No more wasting money on the already lost war on drugs.
View Quote
It sounds like it's a shift in distribution of funds, but still allocated towards the war on drugs. I don't think any money is being saved here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Seeing the effects of drugs every day and having been the victim of a robbery personally I would have to say this is the wrong step to be taking.  Additionally I will stand against 95% of these attempts to change the state Constitution thru the ballot box.  Voters are idiots, not that the politicians are any better.

Drugs are bad, just say no yada yada.  Please take one look at the effect the drugs have on the areas where they are prevalent.  Sure s#!tbags are s#!tbags but these drugs devastate an area, but I guess as long as it is not MY part of town it is ok...  The disease that runs thru the area are nasty, sure won't effect you until one comes to your neighborhood and throws out a syringe and you jab yourself with a needle...  Oh and there isn't much to steal in their part of town so they are coming your direction to find some way to pay for their next fix.  Every time 911 is called for an OD how much does it cost you?  Police and fire aren't free, the supplies and Narcan that the DOH gives out for free to the users costs somebody some serious cash.  Who pays for their hospital visit when they end up there?  Bob OD'd last night so they just run down and get another Narcan dose the next day from the DOH, the enterprising users will sell their free Narcan to the next junkie on the street then have money for their next hit.  No natural selection allowed here, they all have a disease, it's an epidemic...

Now if this created a drug court, with mandatory sentencing to rehab, imposed maybe a 3 strikes and your out, of to big boy jail and will never be given Narcan again when you OD... I may be for that.  It is false thinking to say that the user is the only one effected by drugs.

Legalize it, don't treat them, let Darwin take over?  Maybe
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
While I'm normally a legalize it guy, i voted no considering it's funded by soros money. Keep draining the coffers. Let them spend 8 million next year. Its another 4 million wasted. Maybe it's a drop in the soros bucket, but you can bleed to death one drop at a time.

Can i get filled in on the state constitution thing vs just another law?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While I'm normally a legalize it guy, i voted no considering it's funded by soros money. Keep draining the coffers. Let them spend 8 million next year. Its another 4 million wasted. Maybe it's a drop in the soros bucket, but you can bleed to death one drop at a time.

Can i get filled in on the state constitution thing vs just another law?
View Quote
Constitutional Amendments are easy to get on the ballot here in Ohio. Just follow these easy steps

1. Get the backing by a billionaire (usually Soros and Bloomberg)
2. Round up a bunch of signatures of registered voters
3. Run a bunch of non stop misleading for the children ads
4. Wait until election day and watch all the sheep come in and vote for whatever cause is on the ballot.
5. As long as you have a simple majority, you just got whatever cause etched in our state constitution.

Isnt it Scary?!
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
...among other things, we need to stop letting outside influencers try to screw w/ our state's constitution...

i'm not just voting NO, ..i'm voting HELL NO!!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#30]
i'm ready to vote HELL NO tomorrow!!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Voted No last week.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Like all ballot initiatives, I voted no.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#33]
91% pcts reporting:

Issue 1 is going down hard!!!!!

SelectionVotes% of Votes
YES   1,451,45135.97%
NO    2,583,49364.03%
Total Votes Cast   4,034,944
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#34]
so glad we defeated this soundly!!!   glad voters read the language to see how proposterous it was!!!

99.99% in:

State Issue 1 To Reduce Penalties for Crimes of Obtaining, Possessing, and Using Illegal Drugs
SelectionVotes% of Votes
YES   1,563,230   36.57%
NO    2,711,965   63.43%
Total Votes Cast   4,275,195
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#35]
It was much closer in the big city counties with "YES" being the winner in Cuyahoga (53%-47%) and Franklin. (52%-48%)
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It was much closer in the big city counties with "YES" being the winner in Cuyahoga (53%-47%) and Franklin. (52%-48%)
View Quote
I laughed when I heard a liberal's comment on Ohio demographics,  "Yeah sure, Ohio is bipartisan, but if you take away the three C's, you're left with a whole lot of Kentucky"
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Voted no yesterday.  Once you see who is backing it will tell all you need know about it...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll come out and say I agreed with the spirit of the amendment but not the letter how it was written. I definitely do not think it should be a constitutional amendment.

Honestly I hoped it would fail a little less so the state house sees it as a referendum with motivation to change the law, similar how after recreational marijuana failed the state house passed medical.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I was worried looking at results early when it was passing.

About the only constitutional amendment vote I'm going to be for is the one that puts an end to the stupidity of a simple majority of voters amending the state constitution
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Restrict behavior you don't like, got it. No reason the progressives can't use the same logic to ban all the things they hate.
View Quote
Doing drugs is not protected the constitution. At no point in history has drug use ever been key to the success of a nation, in fact its almost always the opposite, it usually destroys them.

Its more than just restricting something I don't like, its the safety and security of our nation and state at stake.  We pass laws all the time to restrict or prohibit dangerous acts that degrade our nation.

If you want to go smoke pot there are plenty of states that allow it. I nor the majority of ohioans do not support drug use here and that was reflected in the election results.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I voted no on Issue 1.  Why would we want to circumvent the normal legislative process? Usually because it’s a bad admandment, just like the pot admendment a few years ago.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was worried looking at results early when it was passing.

About the only constitutional amendment vote I'm going to be for is the one that puts an end to the stupidity of a simple majority of voters amending the state constitution
View Quote
This. Also I hate that the "Issues" come with the election of politicians. Issues need to be on off election years and they need to be used only as a mandate for the ohio legislature to act, like a base of opinion of the people.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#43]
We need a constitutional amendment that requires a supermajority of voters for any further ballot initiative rather than a simple majority.

This will put an end to some of BS Soros and Bloomberg want to shove down our throats.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We need a constitutional amendment that requires a supermajority of voters for any further ballot initiative rather than a simple majority.

This will put an end to some of BS Soros and Bloomberg want to shove down our throats.
View Quote
Agreed!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Ohio R legislators want to make changes to make it more difficult to mess with the Ohio constitution, but the D politicians keep finding excuses to delay it.

If you want it to happen you have to tell your legislators.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ohio R legislators want to make changes to make it more difficult to mess with the Ohio constitution, but the D politicians keep finding excuses to delay it.

If you want it to happen you have to tell your legislators.
View Quote
Agreed and with urgency

Right now Bloomberg is going state to state getting his gun control initiatives put before the ballot. The sheep fell for it in Washington State.  Its only a matter of time before it hits Ohio.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Agreed and with urgency

Right now Bloomberg is going state to state getting his gun control initiatives put before the ballot. The sheep fell for it in Washington State.  Its only a matter of time before it hits Ohio.
View Quote
This is my exact thoughts when people get pissy about the cali gun laws and say "I'd just move".  They set a precedent for the rest of the country as to what is acceptable for common sense gun laws.  Let it happen in one place without a fight, they think they can roll it out with mass acceptance.  Win the battle, win the war.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top