Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2021 12:47:01 PM EDT
From the alert today:

Virginia Citizens Defense League, et al. v. Winchester, Virginia

Suit filed against city ordinance banning possession of firearms in many public areas.

April 21, 2021

For many years, all of Virginia’s gun laws were enacted by the General Assembly to apply to the entire Commonwealth.  That way, Virginians and visitors could live their lives and travel freely without worrying about violating a crazy quilt of city and county restrictions.  

All that changed on July 1, 2020, when Virginia empowered localities to ban firearms in certain locations.  In response, a handful of left-leaning cities and counties, including the City of Winchester, have imposed such restrictions, which place Virginians at risk of spending up to a year in jail for violation of obscure, vague, and confusing ordinances.  In those localities, firearms restrictions are being imposed at or near a wide range of public events where permits were or should have been issued, including parks.  It is almost impossible to know where the law bans possession of firearms, but it even applies to a business that is open to the public from having its owner possess a firearm in the store at certain times.  The Winchester ordinance contains no exemption for those with valid Concealed Carry Permits, or even for state judges.  

Now, Virginia Citizens Defense League, Gun Owners of America, Gun Owners Foundation, U.S. Law Shield of Virginia, Stonewall Arms, and several individuals have filed suit against the City of Winchester and its Chief of Police.  This suit asks the Court to enjoin Winchester from violating the constitutional rights of Virginians to “keep and bear” arms so they can defend themselves when living, working, and traveling within the city of Winchester.

The suit alleges that the Winchester ordinance violates no fewer than four provisions of the Virginia Constitutions --- those protecting:  (i) the right to keep and bear arms; (ii) the right to be afforded due process of law by being given clear notice of what a criminal law prohibits; (iii) the right to free speech and assembly; and (iv) the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.  
In addition to violating the Constitution, this ordinance puts residents of and visitors to Winchester into danger.  The overwhelming number of mass shootings occur in “gun free zones,” where criminals know they will meet little resistance, and thus this ordinance increases the danger to every person who lives, works in, or visits Winchester.  

A similar Fairfax County ordinance was challenged previously, but the challenge to Winchester could be the first to be heard and help determine whether Virginians will continue to be able to enjoy their constitutional rights.

The complaint is available here
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah baby
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised this would happen that far from NOVA. But then I don't know anything about local politics, the city itself would seem to be loaded with liberals...
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm surprised this would happen that far from NOVA. But then I don't know anything about local politics, the city itself would seem to be loaded with liberals...
View Quote

Friendlier court if I had to guess
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NOVA blue plague has been spreading south and west for years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like some kind of horror film.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep. now there passing off west vaginyunz
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

very liberal since i moved here in 2016 ( got out of there in 2019 )

People always knocking on my moms door with clip boards about suppoprting

bLM

daca

progressive's agendas

I answer and its a straight GTFO

but my buddys has been known to swat and growl at trespassers

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

omg they are

I try to set off a few tannerite charges every now and again when homes/land nearby are being shown
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a link to an article on the law suit that was provided in the latest VCDL alert.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

very liberal since i moved here in 2016 ( got out of there in 2019 )

People always knocking on my moms door with clip boards about suppoprting

bLM

daca

progressive's agendas

I answer and its a straight GTFO

but my buddys has been known to swat and growl at trespassers

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77256/IMG_20201126_133700-1703825.jpg

View Quote

Pfft.  (re the libs)

I like your buddies.  This girl is WV born and raised:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top