Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2020 1:05:45 AM EDT
Hey gents...  just looked through your pinned threads on laws but it doesn't seem to be too up-to-date...

Hopefully headed to a 2-gun match in MD this weekend (see here) and I'm requesting your help / clarification:

1) Transport: Is unloaded, with guns and ammo in separate unlocked bags in the trunk ok?

2) Magazines: Are 30-round AR15 magazines ok, or are only 20-rounders allowed?

3) AR15 rifle:  Is a 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider kosher?  It's an EagleArms (Armalite) lower, is that ok?  FSB with bayonet lug ok? Collapsible stock ok?

Anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
for #2.  you can own and use any cap mag.  you just cant transfer them in state
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for all three, though I’d suggest putting a lock on your rifle bag. Technically you’re legally only allowed to go from your place of residence to the range and back without making any pit stops. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Good deal.  Thanks for your help.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey gents...  just looked through your pinned threads on laws but it doesn't seem to be too up-to-date...

Hopefully headed to a 2-gun match in MD this weekend (see here) and I'm requesting your help / clarification:

1) Transport: Is unloaded, with guns and ammo in separate unlocked bags in the trunk ok?

2) Magazines: Are 30-round AR15 magazines ok, or are only 20-rounders allowed?

3) AR15 rifle:  Is a 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider kosher?  It's an EagleArms (Armalite) lower, is that ok?  FSB with bayonet lug ok? Collapsible stock ok?

Anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

You've gotten some incorrect answers in this thread. Obviously it's too late for the referenced match, but we hope you'll come back and shoot more matches at AGC in the future.

From the info you've provided, it is not possible to tell whether your AR is compliant with our weird AWB. None of the factors you listed are relevant. In MD, all AR-15's are banned, with two small but important exceptions. These exceptions make it very easy to own an AR in Maryland with just a little planning.

1 - Heavy barrel. If the barrel on your rifle is stamped "HBAR" or advertised as heavy contour by manufacturer then it is compliant and allowed. Period. For instance, Colt advertises their SOCOM barrels as "Heavy Profile" and therefore any AR with a Colt SOCOM barrel is legal.  However, BCM also makes a SOCOM profile barrel, dimensionally identical to the Colt barrel, but BCM calls it "medium contour" and therefore banned.
2 - "Non copycat." MD State Police are interpreting this to essentially mean mil-spec rifles. If you have an AR-15 with non-proprietary parts which can't function in a mil-spec 5.56 M4, it is not an AR-15 according to MSP. Therefore, piston guns are perfectly compliant. KAC SR-15's are perfectly compliant as well with their unique E3 bolt, cam pin, firing pin, gas tube, etc. An AR-15 in any other caliber would also be perfectly compliant.

Technically, bringing a non-HBAR, mil spec rifle into MD is unlawful, regardless of the cosmetic features. I am not aware of any individual who has ever been prosecuted by MD for a non-compliant configuration as a standalone charge. I also don't believe the average local cop or or even state trooper is really capable (or interested) in inspecting an AR15 for its configuration and parts. For instance, if you have a SOCOM barreled rifle, can the Trooper determine whether that barrel came out of Colt or BCM's forge? Of course not. (Hint: It came out of Colt's). I do not recommend bringing a non-compliant rifle into MD, however I generally believe the risk of any problems is very, very low. You certainly will not be asked about it at the range or by any match official at AGC.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the clarification.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ll add stamped (I.e., legal) SBRs in 5.56/223 can have any barrel under 16”. For example, a pencil weight 11.5” or 14.5” is perfectly legal.

A pencil P&W muzzle device, including a suppressor which pushed barrel length to greater than 16” is not legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top