Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2019 6:41:00 PM EDT
So I just moved to AZ from VA.

In Virginia, if you get blown up in Afghanistan and the Veterans Affairs office gives you 100% permanent and total disability, you're exempt from all Virginia property tax and your kids can go to any Virginia state college for free.

AZ has a similar exemption from property tax...but you must have an income less than $13,200/year. They don't do anything for dependents schooling.
Well, if you're a 100% disabled vet, you automatically get $3,057.13/month from the VA...or $3057.13x12 months = $36,685.56/year.

Unfortunately, this mean all 100% veterans that are disabled are disqualified from any AZ property tax exemptions...because $36,685.56 is greater than $13,200.
(similar math if you have dependents)

So this is a win-win for AZ. They get the awesome PR for helping crippled veterans...but don't have to lose any revenue!!!!

I know, i'll shut up and continue drinking in the corner.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry you got blown up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry you got blown up.
View Quote
This. And check to see if your kids give up their passports and become illegals if they qualify for free tuition.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
VA Compensation isn’t income, and doesn’t count towards the income amount. You don’t get free property taxes, but you get a small credit.

Sincerely,
Your fellow Vet

ETA: if you’re P&T, your kids get ch35 DEA for college funding.

ETA 2: income limit is 18ksomething if you have minor or disabled children at home.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This. And check to see if your kids give up their passports and become illegals if they qualify for free tuition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry you got blown up.
In Arizona, if you have a Purple Heart, your kids get free tuition to ASU.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In Arizona, if you have a Purple Heart, your kids get free tuition to ASU.
View Quote
You had to be assigned to an AZ unit or an AZ resident at the time you earned the Purple Heart.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
For reals? Don't all service members keep their original address'? My brother lives and works in NC but his address is AZ.
I mean this could save him a TON of money!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For reals? Don't all service members keep their original address'? My brother lives and works in NC but his address is AZ.
View Quote
VFW or DAV would probably have more definitive answers on that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Generally you remain a resident of the state you enlisted out of, while also being a resident of the state you live in. He’s prob good, but call a VSO or the state to double check.

ETA: was he filing AZ taxes? He’s prob a resident.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Also take a copy of your 100% T&P paperwork you got form the VA down to the DMV and they wave almost all of your car registration (only one car that is in your name is authorized for the deal)
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all the Vets who provided info.  Maybe AZ isnt fucking over vets after all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks to all the Vets who provided info.  Maybe AZ isnt fucking over vets after all.
View Quote
It's not. Almost every state bends over backwards to help Vets. Vets have just come to expect massive amounts of free shit from the various levels of community and the Government.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You had to be assigned to an AZ unit or an AZ resident at the time you earned the Purple Heart.
View Quote
And not used the tuition waiver for yourself
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I just moved to AZ from VA.

In Virginia, if you get blown up in Afghanistan and the Veterans Affairs office gives you 100% permanent and total disability, you're exempt from all Virginia property tax and your kids can go to any Virginia state college for free.

AZ has a similar exemption from property tax...but you must have an income less than $13,200/year. They don't do anything for dependents schooling.
Well, if you're a 100% disabled vet, you automatically get $3,057.13/month from the VA...or $3057.13x12 months = $36,685.56/year.

Unfortunately, this mean all 100% veterans that are disabled are disqualified from any AZ property tax exemptions...because $36,685.56 is greater than $13,200.
(similar math if you have dependents)

So this is a win-win for AZ. They get the awesome PR for helping crippled veterans...but don't have to lose any revenue!!!!

I know, i'll shut up and continue drinking in the corner.
View Quote
You should have checked that before you drove past the “no vacancy” sign at the border.

But I haven’t had a new comer tell me how much better the government gave out freebies in their old state since yesterday.  So that’s cool.

Welcome to Arizona.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also take a copy of your 100% T&P paperwork you got form the VA down to the DMV and they wave almost all of your car registration (only one car that is in your name is authorized for the deal)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think the Purple Heart plate/registration is only $5 or something like that, as opposed to $300/year.

Quoted:
VA Compensation isn’t income, and doesn’t count towards the income amount. You don’t get free property taxes, but you get a small credit.
If you don't get a 1099 or W-2, it's not counted as income.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think the Purple Heart plate/registration is only $5 or something like that, as opposed to $300/year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The $5 is for the plate itself (annually) and is on top of your vehicle registration. Just like the vet plates are $25 per year on top of the registration. I don't know where you are getting $300/year. Vehicle registration is based off of the value of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you should have stayed in VA if it was so much better there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top