Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2021 8:23:34 PM EDT
Anybody have a working account? Mine is only allowing access to board rules.  I've tried two different browsers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Works for me using Firefox.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you click the little box at the bottom and accept the board rules?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
That site is mostly dead anyways, enjoy seeing the Glocks/PSAs for 110-120% retail or the sellers/buyers who ghost you when you actually manage to agree to deal.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, click the little box that says you read the rules.
VGT is dead due to Coonman's and 2 RPV assholes UBC law.
It is also dead unless you live in NOVA as that is where a majority of the listings are.
Shame Armslist decided to be a bunch of phaggots, the spam was crazy but I made a few sales there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you click the little box at the bottom and accept the board rules?
View Quote

Its pretty much dead now, thanks to the background check nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No doubt, but even before that legislation went into effect I had very little luck there.  I lost count of the folks there who reached out to buy something and who then ghosted me.  I had far better luck on ArmsList, advertising F2F only...right up until they turned that place into a soup sandwich.  Now it's just the EE.  Leftist tyrants are clearly winning.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The only things I've really had luck on recently are selling mags and ammo.  The UBC nonsense has cost me more than one deal and has made the one(!) that I've done since a much bigger hassle than it needed to be.  Having to pay to trade a hunk of metal and plastic for another hunk of metal and plastic is stupid.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No doubt, but even before that legislation went into effect I had very little luck there.  I lost count of the folks there who reached out to buy something and who then ghosted me.  I had far better luck on ArmsList, advertising F2F only...right up until they turned that place into a soup sandwich.  Now it's just the EE.  Leftist tyrants are clearly winning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm exact opposite, I had probably 20-25 sales, even from up in NOVA on VGT vs Armslist. Meet someone half way and do the deal. UBC's killed VGT. Armslist killed themselves.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm exact opposite, I had probably 20-25 sales, even from up in NOVA on VGT vs Armslist. Meet someone half way and do the deal. UBC's killed VGT. Armslist killed themselves.
View Quote

Armslist forced paid memberships because they needed money to fight back against lawsuits from anti-2A groups.  The changes they made were absolutely moronic and not well thought out, at all, but they didn't do it just as a money grab.  Thus, leftists tyrants also have their fingerprints there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#10]
VGT is pretty pointless as you need to go to FFL anyway - we need to get the new Atty General to rule that CH's no longer have to get  "instant checked" - I believe they meet the requirements under fed law now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
It was the check box.  They must have updated something that required acknowledgement.

I didn't occur to me to scroll down due to my last for sale post.  

I had a new user respond to a rifle for sale. His response was more or less I'll buy it and no need for a back ground check.  I called him out on being a fed and suddenly he started spouting his knowledge of VA state laws. The sale never happened as he didn't want to meet at gun show and have the state police run a check.. He was either a fed or reporter.

Went to update my for sale post with a snark about no buyers interested in entrapment and was presented with the accept board rules.  Over thought it and believed I was being redirected away from my posts as not to expose the fed.

ETA: Still need to update the VAT post since another show is soon at Chantilly.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll get those types every once in a while. There was a west virginian who wanted to buy a pistol from me and I told him it needed to go through a WV FFL.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done to many deals over the years on VAGT.  Only been stood up twice.  Most on there are stand up members that I have ever delt with.  I'm definately not on there as much as I use to be. David
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was the check box.  They must have updated something that required acknowledgement.

I had a new user respond to a rifle for sale. His response was more or less I'll buy it and no need for a back ground check.  I called him out on being a fed and suddenly he started spouting his knowledge of VA state laws. The sale never happened as he didn't want to meet at gun show and have the state police run a check.. He was either a fed or reporter.

Went to update my for sale post with a snark about no buyers interested in entrapment and was presented with the accept board rules.  Over thought it and believed I was being redirected away from my posts as not to expose the fed.

View Quote

It's required checking the box for forever.  

I am member #25 or so.  I've been there since it was first broadcast on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had several not want the UBC, I sympathize as the law is stupid, but I don't have the income to fight an arrest, that will be upheld by the 4th Circus and at best, ignored by the SCOTUS.

Unfortunately, UBC's are here to stay.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been on VGT since its first week many years ago.  I also agree that the site is worthless now due to Gov. Blackface's UBC requirement.  

Sure peasants.... you can still buy, sell and trade your stupid guns.  We have just made it extremely difficult for you and added completely unnecessary extra cost to do so.  Stop complaining you little peons.  

Lets hope VCDL can get Jason Miyares to find the law unnecessary
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been on VGT since its first week many years ago.  I also agree that the site is worthless now due to Gov. Blackface's UBC requirement.  

Sure peasants.... you can still buy, sell and trade your stupid guns.  We have just made it extremely difficult for you and added completely unnecessary extra cost to do so.  Stop complaining you little peons.  

Lets hope VCDL can get Jason Miyares to find the law unnecessary
View Quote

I don't think there is the political will to remove or even modify the law, so law-abiding citizens may still be screwed since it requires most purchasers to get a BG check from either an FFL or from VSP at a gun show.  i.e., the law doesn't even accommodate VSP leaning in and deciding to run background checks for private parties at a barracks or some other non-show location:  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308.2:5/

I would love for the AG to grant an exception for CHP holders or find some other way to reduce the burden on legal gun owners since this change is doing nothing to reduce violent crime and only impacts law-abiding citizens, but the language seems to paint them in a corner.

But IANL and I hope I am wrong, because this law is a significant burden to legal gun owners.  Very few FFLs want to perform this function, at least in my area, and those who do must still comply with federal law, which increases the time and expense involved.  I recently sold several firearms and it was easier to sell them to someone out of state than find a local FFL willing to do a private party sale and then get all three parties to meet and get the transaction done.

I did do one deal at the NGS in Chantilly recently, using the VSP, and while they were very efficient and only charged $2, both the buyer and I had to coordinate meeting there and then each pay $17 to get in...to sell a $150 45 year-old .22 rifle.  And I needed to wait to advertise it for two months to coordinate that sale with the show's schedule.  Yeah, that's saving lives in the inner city.  Glad to hear that problem has been solved.

ETA:  BTW, when I did that deal at NGS, I asked the VSP rep what would happen if I did a private party sale in VA at an FFL, but the buyer failed the BG check.  Not delayed, denied.  At that point, the FFL has accepted the firearm I was selling, so would the FFL need to run a BG check on me to "transfer" it back to me?  They said it was a good question and that they had no idea.  Not surprising I guess, because the issue is more likely related to Federal law than VA law.  Just one more poorly thought-out aspect of the new law.  Or was it?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Still easy to sell there. Guess it depends where you live. I include the transfer fee my LGS charges in the VAGT sales price. The LGS is located 1/2 mile from the parking lot I used to meet buyers pre-UBC.

VAGT has definitely cooled off since summer 2020 but is still a viable place to sell.  I keep all comms on their messenger system. There are lots of flakey tire kickers that I don’t want to deal texting with.  Don’t “hold” anything for anyone on VAGT. The first person to agree to a meet/FFL transfer gets the deal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Depends if the dealer entered it in the bound book or not.  See below ATF guidance.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/facilitating-private-sales-federal-firearms-licensee-guide/download

The FFL receives a "Denied" or "Cancelled" response from NICS [VSP]:
The FFL cannot transfer the firearm to the prospective buyer.
- If the private party seller has not left the firearm in the exclusive possession of the FFL, the private party seller can leave the premises with the firearm.
-- The FFL would not enter the firearm as an acquisition into the a&d record.
- If the seller has left the firearm in the exclusive possession of the FFL, the FFL must record the firearm as an acquisition in its a&d record as an acquisition from the private party seller.
-- Prior to the FFL transferring the firearm back to the private party seller, the FFL must do the following:
-- complete a Form 4473 to return the firearm to the private party seller. - conduct a NICS [VSP] background check on the private party seller. the FFL may transfer the firearm to the private party seller if it receives a "proceed" response or a "delayed" response with no response from NICS [VSP] after three business days [5 days now in Virginia].

View Quote

Thanks.  Good info.  

I wonder what happens if the owner is then denied.  FFL can't transfer it obviously, but they don't own it.  What a mess that would be.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That site is mostly dead anyways, enjoy seeing the Glocks/PSAs for 110-120% retail or the sellers/buyers who ghost you when you actually manage to agree to deal.
View Quote

Add the "can you drive three hours to meet me at my house to deliver two boxes of ammunition you are selling" responses and you have 90% of activity there.

I've had a few great transactions there, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty bad. Not unlike craigslist.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Add the "can you drive three hours to meet me at my house to deliver two boxes of ammunition you are selling" responses and you have 90% of activity there.

I've had a few great transactions there, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty bad. Not unlike craigslist.
View Quote

The last time I tried to use VAGT to sell a firearm, before the law changed, I had that exact experience. In the ad I made it clear it would be a face-to-face transaction and I named the town it would be in. One of the first responses was some guy who lived 4 hours away and wanted me to drive it there because he didn't have a car. Oh, you don't have a car? That changes everything.  

The rest of the responses were tire kickers...except for one guy who said he'd take it, and then disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Sold it locally using ArmsList in about 2 days...before they went nuts.  Now, there is no good mainstream option...which was the goal of the leftists.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Im more inclined now to pay entry to the show, sign on the back of my hat and rifles over the shoulder.  Or pistol in a pack and see if they sell that way.  What does a LGS charge for consignment?  30%?

ETA:  with $2.00 VSP check.

ETA: @scuba.  Still have not shot the. 22 yet. It sits comfortably in my safe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Im more inclined now to pay entry to the show, sign on the back of my hat and rifles over the shoulder.  Or pistol in a pack and see if they sell that way.  What does a LGS charge for consignment?  30%?
View Quote

This.  Otherwise, the gun shows in Dulles have gotten bleak.  VGT has been pretty good to me.  It's always better than Armslist now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ETA:  with $2.00 VSP check.

ETA: @scuba.  Still have not shot the. 22 yet. It sits comfortably in my safe.
View Quote

Glad she found a good home.  

I managed to sell all of my FIL's guns and my MIL was very happy with the cash.  Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#27]
It is still the best we have for now, I have bought and sold may items there, but it sure has slowed down since the UBC law. I take the ghosting and stupid offers in stride, I expect it in the gun trading world. Good lengthy communication usually ends in a good and legal transaction on the site.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't even logged onto VGT since the coonman law went into effect.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#29]
As stated even by me, Coonman's law killed the used gun sale/trade in Va.
Also, VGT should basically be renamed NOVAGT as most everything is either in NOVA or down by the beach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top