User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is he the same guy running Fairfax Armory?
View Quote
I don’t understand how Fairfax armory stays open. They never have any thing of good quality for sale, prices are at MSRP, and the sales staff stay glued to their phones when there is any one in their shop.

Their non firearms inventory looks like they pulled stuff from someone’s basement that has been sitting there for 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering what would be different? If the store couldn't stay open under the care of Bernie's team, how will someone else do it?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was wondering what would be different? If the store couldn't stay open under the care of Bernie's team, how will someone else do it?

-Stooxie
View Quote
Typically you do it by cutting costs - which in this case means having less capable staff on hand, or just LESS staff on hand. Other approaches may be diversifying some. Hard to be more diverse as a "small" gun shop than VA Arms, in terms of inventory.

My fear is that they will survive for awhile on their name, but since most of the staff has probably already planned a move, they may lose some very valuable people.

I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE that they can survive and offer the level of service/knowledge/professionalism that we are all accustomed to...

-shooter
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll be honest, the bricks and mortar model just doesn’t work for me.  I’ve got cash right now for a BCM upper and I can’t find a store locally that has what I want.  Not their fault, just the way demand and supply works.  It is far more efficient, IMO, to have web orders and if I need a transfer I use a kitchen table FFL.  Shrug.

Perfect example, I roll into Specdive and want to buy a 16 Recce.  Nothing in the store, so sales guy says “buy it on the website and have it shipped to the store.”  Two problems, I wanted to use cash and when I went on the web site the only BCM product was an actual upper receiver,  not a complete upper.  Fail.  Frustrating.  Not how 2018 is supposed to work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The only way I could see a brick and mortar store doing well is through having a strong web sales presence to move volume and have a smaller store front.

If they can’t compete with the prices on gunbroker they won’t move much product. Either that or offer services and high end gear like F3.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don’t understand how Fairfax armory stays open. They never have any thing of good quality for sale, prices are at MSRP, and the sales staff stay glued to their phones when there is any one in their shop.

Their non firearms inventory looks like they pulled stuff from someone’s basement that has been sitting there for 10 years.
View Quote
The few times I've stopped in the staff has acknowledged my presence and offered to show guns.  I did inquire how much they would charge to ship a handgun and was told $60 - could ship one myself at that price.

I generally don't get real interested in gun shop wares unless they have a nice selection of reasonably priced used guns and/or offer sales that compare well with online deals after shipping and transfer costs.

I hadn't used Virginia Arms much in recent years because their transfer costs were higher than other storefront dealers I found closer to home. Never found their retail prices to be that great.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like I'm late to the party...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#8]
So when internet sales are finally banned, all those brick and mortars you guys bitch about because they can't compete will most likely already be gone.

Then you'll be screwed, because you weren't willing to pay a few bucks more in order to keep the local shops running.

All of us pay the price for your Scrooge attitude, so from all us trying to support those who stick their necks out publically and economically I say THANK YOU.

This, and GD's devolution, is why I'm not gonna feed ARFCOM any more money...I'm gonna buy another brick with it, or save up for another gun to buy from my local guy.  I think he's earned it more than this place.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So when internet sales are finally banned, all those brick and mortars you guys bitch about because they can't compete will most likely already be gone.

Then you'll be screwed, because you weren't willing to pay a few bucks more in order to keep the local shops running.

All of us pay the price for your Scrooge attitude, so from all us trying to support those who stick their necks out publically and economically I say THANK YOU.

This, and GD's devolution, is why I'm not gonna feed ARFCOM any more money...I'm gonna buy another brick with it, or save up for another gun to buy from my local guy.  I think he's earned it more than this place.
View Quote
We are merely reflecting the market.  If the transfers are banned, it will mean the market will correct the situation by allowing brick and mortar stores to reopen or we will go to gun shows instead.  First, I don’t see how legal transfers can be banned based on location but you take my meaning.  Secondly, Amazon has changed how we do shopping, it is a fact.  Don’t get mad at us, get mad at computer science.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Per the Virginia Arms facebook page, they reopened today.

I've forgotten how to embed, but the link is: https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
So I should pay Dances sporting goods $470 out the door for SW Shield 9 instead of PSA 270 plus my local transfer FFL makes $15 ? I'm sorry I ordered 2 for $80 over what it would have costed me at Dances. You know that poor poor family .....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top