Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
My girlfriend's son (17 yo) saving up to buy a 1997-2000 Honda civic, 2 door coupe or hatchback with a manual transmission.

After a month of Fbook, carfax, local dealer's tiny used inventory, etc. I am exhausted....

Due to the complexity of the used car market I am overwhelmed with the scams/shitty people out there. Bad marketplace photos, long drives out of state, etc. seem to be the new norm.

Is there ANY way to find a lead on a "good conditioned car" ?

Thanks on any leads/help.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a very specific model. And desirable for many people. Your pool of available quality cars is gonna be small, so you're going to have to pay $$,$$$ for something nice.

The last thing I bought that was a particular vehicle with things I for sure wanted was a 1995 Wrangler. I decided on the parameters then searched - autotrader, cars.com, ebay, craigslist, FB marketplace until I found the best version for the best price. It was on Marketplace.

It took a few months to find a sub-100k miles, no rust model with a 5-speed in decent condition for the money I was willing to pay.

There's no better lead than your own legwork. You just have to keep searching every day and jump on one that feels legit.

I wish I was more help, but it's a lot of luck and patience to find quality 25 year old cars.

Too bad the kid doesn't want a newer civic or something, you could have one this afternoon and be more assured it's a solid ride.

Here's what I saw on cars.com, but not with a manual...price is more than I'd pay, unless I couldn't live without that exact car.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I thank you for verifying I am NOT insane. I concur with your specific viewpoint.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus trying to find an unmolested one is gonna be hard also. Very popular car for the Ricky Ricer Racer crowd.

BTW looked at a new Ram 1500 today. $82K and was NOT a TRX.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By variable:
I thank you for verifying I am NOT insane. I concur with your specific viewpoint.

V
OUT
View Quote
You're definitely not insane. It's a roller coaster looking for something specific.

I forgot to say, if the kid wants something nice, figure in airfare and a drive home from anywhere CONUS, but ask a ton of questions and get lots of photos and get some comfortability with the seller. The nicer the car, the more well maintained, the more the asking price...the more I've found sellers willing to work to make a sale by doing the work you'd expect to present their vehicle honestly and clearly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#5]
Wow.  15K for a 25 YO Honda?  10 years ago if someone said that price would even be considered, they'd be laughed at.  I'm hoping I don't to have to go car shopping for a long while.  I remember a few years ago I was looking for a 2WD PU in decent shape.  HA!  Mention 2WD and they look at you like you're goofy.  Found one up near Green Bay.  Salesman was gripping that the dealership took in 4 2WD pickups in and he didn't know what the hell he was going to do with them.  Needless to say, after I took one for a ride, I told him I wasn't too keen on a 2WD, but if he made me a deal I couldn't refuse, I'd take it off his hands.  He did and I did.  Just have to keep beating the bushes.  Sometimes they turn up at the most unsuspecting times and places.  I think I would haunt the rural dealerships or used lots away from the metro areas where there might not be a flood of urbanites prowling around.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chipper44mag] [#6]
We just tried selling my wifes car. Mint and I mean mint condition, like new, 2017 Escape awd with only 80k miles. 3 months and nothing sure we where at high BOOK but still thousands lower then the stealerships. One tire kicker that was never going to buy it anyway showed up. That was all.

After 3 stealerships bugging us to buy. Actually had a bidding war going on. We took their offer. Ended up costing us $520 to drive the car for 3 years and 25k miles. Yep only 500 bucks difference from our purchase to selling it to dealer. Quick and easy, in and out in less then 30 minutes with check.

Wonder why you can't find a good used car cheap?? Dealers are buying them.  How many thousands more is some idiot going to pay, then they could have bought it from us. Makes me wonder how stupid people are when car shopping.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kapusta:
Wow.  15K for a 25 YO Honda?  10 years ago if someone said that price would even be considered, they'd be laughed at.  I'm hoping I don't to have to go car shopping for a long while.  I remember a few years ago I was looking for a 2WD PU in decent shape.  HA!  Mention 2WD and they look at you like you're goofy.  Found one up near Green Bay.  Salesman was gripping that the dealership took in 4 2WD pickups in and he didn't know what the hell he was going to do with them.  Needless to say, after I took one for a ride, I told him I wasn't too keen on a 2WD, but if he made me a deal I couldn't refuse, I'd take it off his hands.  He did and I did.  Just have to keep beating the bushes.  Sometimes they turn up at the most unsuspecting times and places.  I think I would haunt the rural dealerships or used lots away from the metro areas where there might not be a flood of urbanites prowling around.
View Quote

Sold MIL '05 Civic with 50K miles about a year ago. $4,000. about a week after the sale it craps the transmission (automatic).
Car was sold by son to co-worker, never advertised any where.

Lots of good cars are sold face to face without an ad ever being placed

Op is looking for a desirable common option (manual trans), you were looking for a undesirable rare option is why you had a hard time.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Seen a 2014 4Runner with 200K on it for $20K today.

Funnier to see 95-05 trucks on FB marketplace that people are trying to get $30K for old banged up rusty 400K mile diesels.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#10]
I keep telling myself I will never buy another vehicle. I'm at the point where I just want to lease. It may not be the most financially savvy aproach to vehicles but  I've never owned a vehicle that wasn't a pos. I've bought new, 2 years old etc.. foreign, domestic.. yada yada all trash!

Cars the the single largest cumulative expenditure throughout life

Sorry for the poo poo post but dang I hate cars
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: variable] [#11]
Earlier this year two friends had 3 year leases on cars that were due/term.

They bought the cars from the Ford dealer (paid the payoff amount) and sold them privately for $5500 and $7200 more that their payoff....

No joke, saw it personally!

CRAZY car world we live in now.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#12]
As mentioned, that's a desireable car.  Not only for tuners, and the F&F crowd, but the nostalgic market.  Kids who wanted one when they were 16 can buy them now that they're 20+ years in the workforce.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]
3 years ago I bought a crusty 2002 Civic for $1000. Over 200k miles, I just needed a beater for work.
2 years later, many more miles, I sold it for $1500. Didn't stick a penny into it those two years.

People don't think inflation be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
94-‘00?

That would be the equivalent of looking for a specific 71-77 vehicle in 2000.

You are going to have anything from total shit boxes to premium specimens that will bring top dollar.

As others said, the F&F retards that VeeeeTeeeeeK! Have already purchased & fubar’d most of those cars. The rest are probably scrap by now. What little remains is what you are seeing.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
What’s his budget?? I know of 2 and one is an SI (maybe both are?)

I have been thinking of selling mine but it’s an ‘07 but manual 😃 and 4dr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top