Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2022 12:04:53 PM EDT
I have never been there and the odds of joining it are iffy at this point. But, I don't get out much these days, nor do I see arftards with any kind of regularity. Now that I am a denizen of Thurston county, going there seems more realistic. Would anyone here be interested in giving me a tour? Not sure if I can even come up with ammo to shoot, but, hey, it would be fun to gtg with a fellow gunny or two, even better to meet new friends. For logistical purposes, my current location is the Kelly's Corner area.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have never been there and the odds of joining it are iffy at this point. But, I don't get out much these days, nor do I see arftards with any kind of regularity. Now that I am a denizen of Thurston county, going there seems more realistic. Would anyone here be interested in giving me a tour? Not sure if I can even come up with ammo to shoot, but, hey, it would be fun to gtg with a fellow gunny or two, even better to meet new friends. For logistical purposes, my current location is the Kelly's Corner area.
View Quote

I too am interested in this range.  I live in Communist Controlled Olympia (unfortunately) but would be happy to rendezvous with fellow gun folks for a field trip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Speed Steel is tomorrow 26 Mar 22

$5 per handgun, 200 round ammo needed

Info below from website:

Welcome, Handgun Enthusiasts!

Speed Steel  is in full swing and Events are held on the 50 & 25 Yard Range from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.  

Pre-Register or Registration is at arrival from 8:30 AM to 9:00 AM

Fees:  $5.00  per gun. NO limitation on entries.

Match Schedule:  4th Saturday of each month

Match will be held on the 50 & 25 Yard ranges.

Pre-registration (Preferred) for the Speed Steel Matches on Practiscore.com or on the day of the Match.  Preregistration online will enable the matches to start sooner…

Practiscore Club Name is Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club-Speed Steel.

Matches will be posted a month before with pre-registration starting up to 15 days prior to matches.

They will be listed as USNCSS with the match date (i.e.  USNCSS March 27, 2021).

Payment at check in.

Match has 4 stages with 5 strings each, and we now use Practiscore software to score the match.  The worst string is automatically discarded. The match is score results are then uploaded for your review immediately after the match and may be viewed @ Practicscore.com. (Match Name USNCSS-Speed Steel + date).  A free account is required where you can look under scores or matches.

This is a timed event many competitors use Semi-Autos, but revolvers are also allowed.   Calibers—.22LR-.45ACP.  No magnums allowed.  Bullets are restricted to lead or copper jacket.  Ammo needed 200 rounds.  Iron sights, reflex or Red Dot Sights are allowable.  Rifles in any variety of automatic, pump, or lever action are also allowable.  Allowable Rifle calibers are 22LR and any pistol caliber if they are not magnum calibers.

The match is scheduled to run from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.  Registration begins upon arrival and up to about 9:00 AM.   The match will begin as soon as everyone has registered and attended a short safety meeting prior to the match.  Membership is not required to participate in the match so bring your family and friends.  There will be 2 to 4 squads, so you should be able to shoot with your friends or family. Come try it out!  This is good practice for any experience level!

For further details or questions, please contact:

Roger Stiller
(C) 253-820-4630
[email protected]

Speed Steel Handgun Shoots Are Always the 4th Saturday of the Month

Check the calendar for all event dates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do not waste your time at this boomer fudd range.

Unless that is what your into.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Cannot speak to the previous poster's experience-- I shot a couple of matches there with @B44t but admittedly it has been a while-- I saw a bunch of guys who were working hard to improve their facility, seemed like a higher average of member involvement than I'm used to seeing-- if I was still in Yelm I would consider joining-- one man's experience-- where is B44t anyway?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cannot speak to the previous poster's experience-- I shot a couple of matches there with @B44t but admittedly it has been a while-- I saw a bunch of guys who were working hard to improve their facility, seemed like a higher average of member involvement than I'm used to seeing-- if I was still in Yelm I would consider joining-- one man's experience-- where is B44t anyway?
View Quote

I haven't seen him in quite a while. He used to be on his porch when I drove by, occasionally. But, the house has been emptied, renovated and sold, so his whereabouts are, indeed a mystery.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Nisqually has some pretty good ranges.  Like any gun club, members come from the general public so there is always a chance of running into a Fudd, or some young idiot that shouldn't be around guns...but that is what happens when the general public only has to pay for membership.

UNSC has rules, and as long as you stay within the rules, the "boomer/fudds" will leave me alone and let me shoot.  The one rule that bugs me is that they won't allow anyone to draw from the holster prior to shooting unless it is at a match.  It would be nice if the club would have some sort of certification class that upon completion would allow members to draw from a holster and shoot.  

UNSC is one of the few clubs around that allows shooting on a 550 yard range any time there isn't a match, or the range isn't closed for maintenance.

UNSC is a decent facility, even if it is a bit far to drive...it is about 50-55 minutes from the Narrows bridge..
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a life member and have been there in 3 or so years.  

I used to live 15-20 mins away but not now.

Still got a hell of a deal $100.00 no fees dues etc. Used it hundreds of times the 15 years I lived in Graham.

Need to go back and see what has been improved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top