Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2022 12:29:42 PM EDT
Hey friends next door, looking for some information to help assist with a possible move from PA to OH.  I work in the Lisbon area but have lived in PA all my life and know very little about the area.

Im looking to buy or build and have a few different school districts Id like to live in and have found some land in each. Im curious if anyone here knows any reputable builders in the area or if I end up buying a home any trustworthy real estate agents.  Any information would be great.

I know the market isnt the best, but I have to get out of my current house ASAP as my daughter will be starting school next fall and PA just doesnt look like a long term fit for my family.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The further Southeast in Ohio the better it gets. I don’t know much about Lisbon area, but if you start coming down South some more I can help you out.

Either way, move here, we are the better state, and if you get here soon, vote Blystone.

Best of wishes for your move.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The further Southeast in Ohio the better it gets. I don’t know much about Lisbon area, but if you start coming down South some more I can help you out.

Either way, move here, we are the better state, and if you get here soon, vote Blystone.

Best of wishes for your move.
View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I'm trying to stay closer to Lisbon area unfortunately, part of my reason for moving is to get away from a 1 hour commute for the next 15 years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for a response later.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I live east of Louisville, not far from the Columbiana County line.  I don't know if you want to live that far from Lisbon, but feel free to shoot me an IM and I'll give you my take on the area.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live east of Louisville, not far from the Columbiana County line.  I don't know if you want to live that far from Lisbon, but feel free to shoot me an IM and I'll give you my take on the area.
View Quote

Thanks for the response, however thats probably outside of the area Im looking for (even though Ive driven though and liked the area).
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem!  My Mason lodge is in Homeworth, closer to Lisbon.  If you need any introductions made, just let me know.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No problem!  My Mason lodge is in Homeworth, closer to Lisbon.  If you need any introductions made, just let me know.
View Quote

Thank you kindly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're looking right at that in between place where I don't really know anyone.  Maybe check with co workers, they are sure to know people that can help.
View Quote

I actually got hooked up with an agent yesterday. Both houses I was hoping to see have already accepted verbal offers. I'm hoping they will still give us a showing in hopes of submitting a backup offer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Columbiana
Canfield
South Range School District (N Lima, Greenford)

My .02.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Columbiana County housing market is still very hot from my casual observations. I don't have any hook-ups with realtors or builders in the area, but I will wish you good luck and provide a warm welcome.

Obviously avoid East Liverpool proper. The rest of the county is mostly good-ol-boy territory and is good-to-go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Columbiana
Canfield

My .02.
View Quote

Im looking at those three and Crestview Local.

We looked at a place we didnt end up liking in Canfield on Saturday. My wife loved the area (shes never been).  My agent tells me more inventory is coming after the holiday, so Im being patient and waiting for the right place.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We looked at a place we didnt end up liking in Canfield on Saturday. My wife loved the area (shes never been).  My agent tells me more inventory is coming after the holiday, so Im being patient and waiting for the right place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Columbiana
Canfield

My .02.

Those are the best three schools districts in the area.  All are very safe.communities.  Canfield and Columbiana have more of a “town feel” where SRSD is more rural.  Furthermore,  Canfield and a Columbiana are the only two towns in the tri-county area that are gaining in population.  I live in Canfield and have little complaints - police, fire, schools are all competent with Canfield having a strong community that backs the schools.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask here or PM.  The homes in Canfield are moving very fast. Canfield is “hot” as its schools are ranked one of the highest in the state.  You’d like it here.

I can’t help you on Crestview.  But I do think Columbiana is the next “hot spot”.  

@14boltff

Anything you’d like to add?

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those are the best three schools districts in the area.  All are very safe.communities.  Canfield and Columbiana have more of a “town feel” where SRSD is more rural.  Furthermore,  Canfield and a Columbiana are the only two towns in the tri-county area that are gaining in population.  I live in Canfield and have little complaints - police, fire, schools are all competent with Canfield having a strong community that backs the schools.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask here or PM.  The homes in Canfield are moving very fast. Canfield is “hot” as its schools are ranked one of the highest in the state.  You’d like it here.

I can’t help you on Crestview.  But I do think Columbiana is the next “hot spot”.  

@14boltff

View Quote

If looking in Canfield, be cognizant of whether you're in the city or township (the township surrounds the city). Both are good-to-go, but in the City of Canfield you will pay additional taxes, zoning is more strict, and there's an ordinance against the recreational shooting of firearms (not like there are many big properties left where that's possible anyway). Recreational shooting is good-to-go in the township. The City of Canfield has its own police department, while Canfield Township is patrolled by the Mahoning County Sheriff's Office. The Canfield Fire Dept. covers both areas. A nice thing about Canfield is it's a buffer area between the rural areas to the west and south - as a result, you can get property "away" from the suburbs yet still be close to everything, including shopping and major routes (Rt. 11 north-south and Ohio Turnpike/76/80 east-west). You're also close to all kinds of terrain/recreation in the Canfield area: Lakes/Reservoirs, farmland, woods, hills (to the south in Columbiana County), parks, etc.

Columbiana: I agree with cancard on Columbiana being the next/current hot-spot town. The intersection of routes 7 and 14 there were many acres of farmland up until a decade ago. Now that intersection is flush with a golf course, shops, and housing developments. East and south from there is Amish/Mennonite territory intermingled with farms, trailer homes, and good-ol-boys. West of there is Salem - another small town with nice homes/acreage on the outskirts and older homes downtown. Salem, however, has a large number of illegal Guatemalans working the farms (no driver's licenses or auto insurance), and the inner part of town used to have a steady population of heroin addicts.

Crestview: Nice area south of Columbiana. Not much to else to say other than it's mostly farm country there and is a close-knit community.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@14boltff

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@14boltff

Quoted:

If looking in Canfield, be cognizant of whether you're in the city or township (the township surrounds the city). Both are good-to-go, but in the City of Canfield you will pay additional taxes, zoning is more strict, and there's an ordinance against the recreational shooting of firearms (not like there are many big properties left where that's possible anyway). Recreational shooting is good-to-go in the township. The City of Canfield has its own police department, while Canfield Township is patrolled by the Mahoning County Sheriff's Office. The Canfield Fire Dept. covers both areas. A nice thing about Canfield is it's a buffer area between the rural areas to the west and south - as a result, you can get property "away" from the suburbs yet still be close to everything, including shopping and major routes (Rt. 11 north-south and Ohio Turnpike/76/80 east-west). You're also close to all kinds of terrain/recreation in the Canfield area: Lakes/Reservoirs, farmland, woods, hills (to the south in Columbiana County), parks, etc.

Columbiana: I agree with cancard on Columbiana being the next/current hot-spot town. The intersection of routes 7 and 14 there were many acres of farmland up until a decade ago. Now that intersection is flush with a golf course, shops, and housing developments. East and south from there is Amish/Mennonite territory intermingled with farms, trailer homes, and good-ol-boys. West of there is Salem - another small town with nice homes/acreage on the outskirts and older homes downtown. Salem, however, has a large number of illegal Guatemalans working the farms (no driver's licenses or auto insurance), and the inner part of town used to have a steady population of heroin addicts.

Crestview: Nice area south of Columbiana. Not much to else to say other than it's mostly farm country there and is a close-knit community.

Thanks to both of you for the time and thoughtful input, really solidifies my thoughts on why Im looking to move to the above areas. Now I just need to hope something worth buying pops up soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks to both of you for the time and thoughtful input, really solidifies my thoughts on why Im looking to move to the above areas. Now I just need to hope something worth buying pops up soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

@14boltff

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what size home are you looking for and does property/lot size matter?

An added benefit to Columbiana is its close promixity to Pittsburgh (about 50 min).
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what size home are you looking for and does property/lot size matter?

An added benefit to Columbiana is its close promixity to Pittsburgh (about 50 min).
View Quote

3BR 2BA min. I like property, but if its not within budget its not within budget. Getting my girls into good schools is the most important thing.

Ive been traveling from the airport area of Pittsburgh to Lisbon for almost 11 years. Its not a bad drive when its on occasion for fun, but daily it got old fast.

Feel free to PM if you have a lead
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

3BR 2BA min. I like property, but if its not within budget its not within budget. Getting my girls into good schools is the most important thing.

Ive been traveling from the airport area of Pittsburgh to Lisbon for almost 11 years. Its not a bad drive when its on occasion for fun, but daily it got old fast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely, will do.  But first, is Mary’s Pizza in Lisbon as good as I hear?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately I cannot eat pizza (lactose intolerance ) but my 400lbs+ coworker loves them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I cannot eat pizza (lactose intolerance ) but my 400lbs+ coworker loves them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

@14boltff

Quoted:

You're welcome. Any questions, ask away. My family has been in this area of Ohio area since the 1700s, so my roots have been around a while.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#22]
@cancard

I sent you a PM. My PM's have been screwy lately so hopefully you got it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@cancard

I sent you a PM. My PM's have been screwy lately so hopefully you got it.
View Quote

@laxman09

PM sent, neighbor!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#25]
@laxman09

I’m not seeing this one listed on Zillow or Realtor?  May be work looking in to.  Nice neighborhood.  Appears to have just been listed according to a friend of mine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Lost out on house #2 which was already overpriced.

Feels bad man.

If any of you have friends looking to see a 3BR 2BA shoot me a PM
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#27]
How's the hunt going? I'm late to the show on this one...

I grew up in Canfield (township), still have family up there and we have our farm in Green Township.
Half my family went to Canfield and half went to South Range. Both still pretty good schools from what I can tell especially with the newer SR school that was built on 46 a few years back.
I know quite a few builders that are still around and have a friend that is a pretty well known realtor in Mahoning county and the surrounding area.

My now adult friends bought in Springfield Schools and are very optimistic about what it'll bring.

PM me if you want some numbers or advice

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How's the hunt going? I'm late to the show on this one...

I grew up in Canfield (township), still have family up there and we have our farm in Green Township.
Half my family went to Canfield and half went to South Range. Both still pretty good schools from what I can tell especially with the newer SR school that was built on 46 a few years back.
I know quite a few builders that are still around and have a friend that is a pretty well know realtor in Mahoning county and the surrounding area.

My now adult friends bought in Springfield Schools and are very optimistic about what it'll bring.

PM me if you want some numbers or advice

View Quote

Inventory is low, prices are high. Ive lost out on two houses we placed bids on. Seen a lot of well photographed homes that looked atrocious in person. My wife loves Canfield and New Middletown areas. I check about 50 times a day for new inventory bc homes are going so fast.

We thought about building for a minute, however the materials price is so astronomical it wouldnt be feasible. Plus, rising interest rates really kill that prospect, too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@laxman09

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/2E7072E1-0FEE-43E8-86AA-AB0CCF8DC44D-2379660.jpg

I’m not seeing this one listed on Zillow or Realtor?  May be work looking in to.  Nice neighborhood.  Appears to have just been listed according to a friend of mine.
View Quote

There's been a lot of turnaround with that home in regard to owners. After the elderly couple that owned it for many years died, it was purchased by some commie who hated the relative conservativeness of the community. He lasted a year. Then some other couple moved in and stayed a couple of years - don't know anything about them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's been a lot of turnaround with that home in regard to owners. After the elderly couple that owned it for many years died, it was purchased by some commie who hated the relative conservativeness of the community. He lasted a year. Then some other couple moved in and stayed a couple of years - don't know anything about them.
View Quote
You live on Blueberry or in that area? I had family and quite a few friends live on Blueberry and even more in that section from the swim club to Herbert to 46 area
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well its impressive to get such personal info on something.

I have my agent poking around a home in Canfield right now thats gotten no interest because its a bit overpriced and needs some refreshing.  However, its on a nice lot that I havent found on other homes.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You live on Blueberry or in that area? I had family and quite a few friends live on Blueberry and even more in that section from the swim club to Herbert to 46 area
View Quote

No, I work in the area as well as know people there, too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have my agent poking around a home in Canfield right now thats gotten no interest because its a bit overpriced and needs some refreshing.  However, its on a nice lot that I havent found on other homes.

View Quote

I know Canfield well. PM me if you find a home there and want info on the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Do your kids play sports at all?

I don't know who in this thread lives and went to school in Canfield or had kids that went to Canfield but I'd love to hear their take on anything with sports if that is relevant to the OP.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, I work in the area as well as know people there, too.
View Quote
In the area work, as in Canfield? Just trying to figure out if I know who you are? One side of my family has been there since the 50s and the other side since the mid 70s. We own property by the high school and the middle school along with in the township and in green township.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know who in this thread lives and went to school in Canfield or had kids that went to Canfield but I'd love to hear their take on anything with sports if that is relevant to the OP.
View Quote

My 4 year old daughter starts t ball this weekend
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8865-Youngstown-Salem-Rd-Canfield-OH-44406/34792290_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Looked at this yesterday. Wood siding was disintegrating and rotting apart. Inside is dated badly. I could deal with one, but both is too much $$$$$$ to fix. Definitely not worth the asking price. Property was gorgeous though.

I'm still looking in the following school districts

Canfield
Crestview
South Range
Poland
Springfield Local
Columbiana Exempted

I think the market is starting to shift a bit, so fingers crossed. Hopefully something pops up in the next couple months.

FYI if any of you guys are into shooting with NV, let me know. I coordinate all the Pittsburgh night meet ups for arfcommers
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

@scarygary
I got two in Canfield.  Lacrosse, basketball, soccer, volleyball — ugh.    

They must feed these kids corn in Canfield because it’s very competitive.  Most kids in grade school and at the Jr High level get private lessons.  Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know Canfield well. PM me if you find a home there and want info on the neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@14boltff

Next time you’re on patrol and see some some bald fucker walking a giant black and white English Setter, be sure to wave.  We support you guys.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@scarygary

They must feed these kids corn in Canfield because it’s very competitive.  Most kids in grade school and at the Jr High level get private lessons.  Ask me how I know.  
View Quote

I didn't know lax had made it to Ohio! That's awesome!
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@14boltff

Next time you’re on patrol and see some some bald fucker walking a giant black and white English Setter, be sure to wave.  We support you guys.
View Quote

I think I remember you having hair the last time I saw you.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@scarygary

Yep.  Canfield is trying hard to grow the program and succeeding - boys and girls!
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@14boltff

I landed in private equity for 15 months.  Lost my soul along with my hair.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep.  Canfield is trying hard to grow the program and succeeding - boys and girls!
View Quote

Interesting. I played HS and college club. Then coached HS a couple years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:26:38 AM EDT
[#45]
It is crazy seeing all the very local talk here I don't live in Canfield though. I have however lived in this area for 37 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8865-Youngstown-Salem-Rd-Canfield-OH-44406/34792290_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Looked at this yesterday. Wood siding was disintegrating and rotting apart. Inside is dated badly. I could deal with one, but both is too much $$$$$$ to fix. Definitely not worth the asking price. Property was gorgeous though.

I'm still looking in the following school districts

Canfield
Crestview
South Range
Poland
Springfield Local
Columbiana Exempted

I think the market is starting to shift a bit, so fingers crossed. Hopefully something pops up in the next couple months.

FYI if any of you guys are into shooting with NV, let me know. I coordinate all the Pittsburgh night meet ups for arfcommers
View Quote

I live outside of Canfield in Ellsworth. Went to Canfield.

I would also look at Western Reserve schools.  That covers Ellsworth and Berlin Center area.  If you need any info about Canfield, or the surrounding country areas, let me know. I'm also very well connected into the area, since my family has had a business in the greater Youngstown area for 103 years.

Sports in canfield are very well funded and heavily pushed. Have been since I was in High School (2000-2004) there.  Even before then our middle school and below football team, soccer team, hockey teams were well supported by the parents.

At the HS level, it's about as professional as it gets in OH.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I would also look at Western Reserve schools.  That covers Ellsworth and Berlin Center area.  If you need any info about Canfield, or the surrounding country areas, let me know. I'm also very well connected into the area, since my family has had a business in the greater Youngstown area for 103 years.

Sports in canfield are very well funded and heavily pushed. Have been since I was in High School (2000-2004) there.  Even before then our middle school and below football team, soccer team, hockey teams were well supported by the parents.

View Quote

Thanks for the response. I wasnt aware of Western Reserve schools, mostly because Im trying to reduce my commute to work if possible. Ill keep it on my searches though just in case a great deal pops up.

My wife likes Canfield and New Middletown areas best as of right now. Im looking anywhere with a good school though as I need out of PA asap.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks for the response. I wasnt aware of Western Reserve schools, mostly because Im trying to reduce my commute to work if possible. Ill keep it on my searches though just in case a great deal pops up.

My wife likes Canfield and New Middletown areas best as of right now. Im looking anywhere with a good school though as I need out of PA asap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lisbon is a straight shot down rt.45 from Ellsworth / Western reserve area.  Quiet easy to get to, as I used to rely heavily on Evolution Ag down there for farm equipment parts.  

Most my employees live in the Columbiana county region actually.

The problem with New Middletown is no real way to get there. So you're going to have a longer commute, depending on where you're going in Lisbon.

Canfield is going to be about ~10 minute faster, due to the fact you can just hit Rt.11 south and be done.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lisbon is a straight shot down rt.45 from Ellsworth / Western reserve area.  Quiet easy to get to, as I used to rely heavily on Evolution Ag down there for farm equipment parts.  

View Quote

Ill keep an eye on it, appreciate the input and help!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited a bit with times.   Just beware of it's sort of 'hard' to get to Lisbon coming from certain directions. Being near Rt.11 is by far the fastest for commute and easiest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top