Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2018 2:56:26 AM EDT
https://gunresponsibility.org/news/ballot-initiative-assault-weapon/

all of these proposals were rejected by the legislature this session, but now they're pushing them this way, like they did with I-594.

Also, our state constitution has a 1 topic per bill/initiative rule, so I'm not sure what they're going to do about that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Crap...here it comes.

Washington State libtard voters never met any anti-gun ballots they didn't love.

First ban any further sales, then force registration, then confiscation.
Same old tiresome story.

Better get your 80% lowers and Polymer80 frames done while you can.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
We knew something was coming.  To be honest I was expecting something on par with Oregon's initiative.  Is my understanding correct that these six different propositions will require six different initiatives on the ballot and six different signature drives?

Policy Overview

Raise the minimum purchase age to 21 for all semi-automatic weapons.
In Washington, it is currently easier to buy an assault weapon than it is to purchase a handgun because assault weapons are treated the same as hunting rifles. This must change.

Create an Enhanced Background Check at the time of purchase including:
1.) A local law enforcement check identical to the one we currently require for handguns.
2.) Requiring the purchaser show that they have completed a safety training course within the last five years that includes basic safety and safe storage rules, safe handling, and an overview of state and federal firearms laws.

Dangerous Access Prevention.
Holds gun owners responsible if a child or other prohibited person accesses and uses an unsafely stored firearm to harm themselves or another person.

Ensure continued eligibility to possess or purchase an assault weapon.
Requires the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) and the appropriate law enforcement agencies to work together to develop a process to ensure that purchasers continue to be eligible to possess a firearm.

Requireinformed consent at the point of purchase about the inherent risks associated with the presence of a firearm in the home.
Requires the notification at the point of sale that owning a firearm increases one’s risk for injury, death by suicide, domestic violence and homicide.

Establish a waiting period up to 10 days for the purchase of an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m sure they will let them roll it all into one initiative, the government let’s the lefties bend the rules all the time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Our shitty courts will say "it's just one subject, firearms" and let it go.  But I also think we should use the angle that state preemption completely prevents any initiative on firearms.  The "people" are not the same thing as the "state".  A recent court case threw out an initiative to ban safe injection sites, with the judge ruling that the initiative would infringe on the power of the KingCo Board of Health, which had been given preemption status in that area.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/initiative-to-ban-safe-injection-sites-in-king-county-knocked-down-by-judge/
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Scollins, I was going to mention that. I remember earlier you posting that. But, just like the 6 Initiative rolled into one thing, they will probably look the other way on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
"They" will only look the other way, and get away with this IF we do not file lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
It's going to be a long, hot Summer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"They" will only look the other way, and get away with this IF we do not file lawsuits.
View Quote
"Plaintiff has no standing. Dismissed"
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We knew something was coming.  To be honest I was expecting something on par with Oregon's initiative.  Is my understanding correct that these six different propositions will require six different initiatives on the ballot and six different signature drives?

Policy Overview

Raise the minimum purchase age to 21 for all semi-automatic weapons.
In Washington, it is currently easier to buy an assault weapon than it is to purchase a handgun because assault weapons are treated the same as hunting rifles. This must change.

Create an Enhanced Background Check at the time of purchase including:
1.) A local law enforcement check identical to the one we currently require for handguns.
2.) Requiring the purchaser show that they have completed a safety training course within the last five years that includes basic safety and safe storage rules, safe handling, and an overview of state and federal firearms laws.

Dangerous Access Prevention.
Holds gun owners responsible if a child or other prohibited person accesses and uses an unsafely stored firearm to harm themselves or another person.

Ensure continued eligibility to possess or purchase an assault weapon.
Requires the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) and the appropriate law enforcement agencies to work together to develop a process to ensure that purchasers continue to be eligible to possess a firearm.

Requireinformed consent at the point of purchase about the inherent risks associated with the presence of a firearm in the home.
Requires the notification at the point of sale that owning a firearm increases one’s risk for injury, death by suicide, domestic violence and homicide.
This is bullshit

Establish a waiting period up to 10 days for the purchase of an assault weapon.
View Quote
This seems mostly reasonable. I know I was responsible enough to own weapons at 18, but a lot of kids were not. It seems as though kids are getting worse, not better.
I would like to know what sort of storage rules. I think secured in a locked house, or car is reasonable. However, if there are children in the home, I think a security cabinet, or a safe is a good idea. I would like to know the definition of "unsafely stored".
I can handle waiting 10 days.
This is way better than the shit proposed down in Oregon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you support this, you're part of the problem and naïve to their final goal.
Incrementalism is their strategy.

Not One Inch!
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This seems mostly reasonable. I know I was responsible enough to own weapons at 18, but a lot of kids were not. It seems as though kids are getting worse, not better.
I would like to know what sort of storage rules. I think secured in a locked house, or car is reasonable. However, if there are children in the home, I think a security cabinet, or a safe is a good idea. I would like to know the definition of "unsafely stored".
View Quote
Quoted again after your edit.

Your revised post is even more troubling.

"mostly reasonable" is not.

You may choose how you exercise your civil rights, you DO NOT get to choose for others.
The Heller decision centered around so called "safe storage" - so that should be a non-starter.

As you point out you were responsible, as was I, as are most.

The Age of Majority in the country is 18.
All Civil Rights convey as a single package at 18.

If you/they want to discuss changing the Age of Majority, that is a different conversation.
And one I may support.

But as long as we agree as a society that you are an adult at age 18, then I do not support piecemeal doling out of civil rights.

I suggest you reflect on what is really going on.
And I invite you to come down to Olympia with the rest of us during the hearings to see the orange scarved fascist agenda in action for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not One Inch!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not One Inch!
In 10 years let me know how that "not one inch" thing worked out for you....
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
With your approach, there won't be any cake left in 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not One Inch!
These guys have the ultimate goal of having someone come in and confiscate your stuff.  If you give in now, they'll be back with the next step of their 12 step program next year.  If we hold them here, they will come back with this again next year.  You can't win by losing.

I downloaded the Word version of this thing.  There's a whole bunch of crap in it.  There's no way this will satisfy the "single issue" clause.

Oh, and by their definition, your M1 Garand is now an assault weapon.  So is a Browning BAR.  Remington 750 Woodsmaster, yeah, assault rifle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please just log off and sell all your guns.  You obviously don't care about them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
We don't settle for this is a way better infringement that they other state is doing so it is okay!

Fuk that noise, thinking like you are is the reason many of us older guys have been saying "Watch out for the divide and conquer" situation for over 40 years now.

This is no more acceptable than the Oregon BS that is going on and everybody in every state needs to be standing behind those under fire and letting the assholes know the country stands against these attempts to do this crap!
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
People who are 18 years old are classified as adults in every regard.  They stand trial as adults, they can serve in the military, they can vote, they buy homes, have families and careers.  How anybody can be happy with the removal of constitutionally guaranteed rights for these people is beyond me.  Lots of twenty year olds and beyond do dumb things as well, how would you feel about them making the age an arbitrary 35?  This is creating a situation where nearly all of the young adults are being punished for the actions of a tiny few and that isn't right by any standard.

What needs to happen is that if a person commits an unwarranted violent action with a firearm and is found guilty in court of law then they need to receive the stiffest of penalties.  These kinds of human beings need to be removed from society, period.  How does making life hard for law abiding citizens help anything?  It's crazy logic and we shouldn't stand for it.

As ever, the left tries as hard as they can to remove the actual criminal from the conversation and focus on the tool used instead.  It's mental illness.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
This is just the first step as said above, just slowly roll into it, more "palatable" this way.

Death by a 1000 paper cuts is what comes to mind.

3 of the initiatives do not make sense to me, like as if 3 of them are just lip service that could be "dropped" to make it look like they are "giving some".

The whole DOL/Sherriff thing is just laying the groundwork for a registration program down the road, my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Attach an amendment to the 21 thing. 21 to drink, smoke, buy a gun, well, you are not mature enough to vote. That would sink that right there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Attach an amendment to the 21 thing. 21 to drink, smoke, buy a gun, well, you are not mature enough to vote. That would sink that right there.
View Quote
I am all for raising the age to vote to 21 as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#22]
If you raise the age to 21 everything should be 21, No military service, no law enforcement, no voting, no paying taxes, and no signing up for selective service.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you raise the age to 21 everything should be 21, No military service, no law enforcement, no voting, no paying taxes, and no signing up for selective service.
View Quote
Hmpf...16 year olds have to pay taxes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/420201831446pm_364.docx

Any semi auto rifle. Rimfire or centerfire doesn’t matter. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the definition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
NO, Everybody gets to pay taxes. I'd be OK with the rest, maybe we need to raise driving to 18 so we can cut down on the teenage car accident death rate. Texting, distracted driving.........
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Who the fuck is this Squigy guy?

No more giving up rights. This is when we need to continue taking them back to our side.

Fight this on every level. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It's that fucking simple.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Have we seen the Initiative numbers?

edit: spelling
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who the fuck is this Squigy guy?

No more giving up rights. This is when we need to continue taking them back to our side.

Fight this on every level. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It's that fucking simple.
View Quote
no clue, but he sure as fuck isn't one of us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, get the fuck out of here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
This would require a registry, would it not? Not just keeping records of sales.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 15. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
(1) Within twelve months of the effective date of this act, the department of licensing shall, in conjunction with the Washington State Patrol and other state and local law enforcement agencies as necessary, develop a cost-effective and efficient process to: (a) verify, on an annual or more frequent basis, that persons who acquired pistols or semiautomatic assault rifles pursuant to this chapter remain eligible to possess a firearm under state and federal law; and (b) if such persons are determined to be ineligible for any reason, to (i) notify and provide the relevant information to the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides and (ii) take steps to ensure such persons are not illegally in possession of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"mostly reasonable" is not.
(snip)
The Age of Majority in the country is 18.
All Civil Rights convey as a single package at 18.
View Quote
Are all rights unlimited? Scalia said "no" regarding the Second Amendment in Heller v DC, and other rights have restrictions that have survived challenges.

If the initiative passes, we'll have to see how it shakes out in court. This initiative and those like it are being floated in places where it seems likely to have a fairly predictable chance of passing. In this state, it has a good chance of being upheld by the state courts, and it will be an interesting SC case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I downloaded the Word version of this thing.  There's a whole bunch of crap in it.  There's no way this will satisfy the "single issue" clause.
View Quote
If that is where the challenge stops it, that would help the writers/sponsors/etc. write a better initiative for the next cycle.

I hate politics. Almost as much as I hate liver.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are all rights unlimited? Scalia said "no" regarding the Second Amendment in Heller v DC, and other rights have restrictions that have survived challenges.

If the initiative passes, we'll have to see how it shakes out in court. This initiative and those like it are being floated in places where it seems likely to have a fairly predictable chance of passing. In this state, it has a good chance of being upheld by the state courts, and it will be an interesting SC case.
View Quote
Age discrimination limiting civil rights to adults.
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Age discrimination limiting civil rights to adults.
View Quote
In what way(s) are 18-21 year old people legislated into a protected class? Cannot discriminate against a non-protected class of people in the US.

Protected Class
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In what way(s) are 18-21 year old people legislated into a protected class? Cannot discriminate against a non-protected class of people in the US.

Protected Class
View Quote
Civil Rights for me but not for Ye.

Your philosophy is indicative of the problem.

What other rights are restricted to adults?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
People seem to get quite confused over rights and privileges these days, the country has made the choice you are of legal age of majority at 18 years old and as such are entitled to all rights granted by the constitution as well as all privileges granted to adults, society has further made a choice that alcohol is not a legal privilege of being an adult, and is held in reserved to the age of 21.  Now a days some states are also limiting the privilege of tobacco use until the age of 21.  Now both of those are privileges, the bill of rights is granted to all citizens of the United States of America, certain rights require the supervision of a parent or guardian until the age of majority, at such time as reaching the age of majority, all rights are in effect without limitation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you are saying that they are going for "GIMME" states to set precedence and case law, for future actions in other "difficult" states?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So you are saying that they are going for "GIMME" states to set precedence and case law, for future actions in other "difficult" states?
View Quote
What I'm saying is that they're making greater efforts where they are likely to pay off up front, collecting money and pulling of a good campaign. I honestly don't believe they're too concerned about challenges after approval as they see initial approval as pretty good to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
My"philosophy"? Laws and case law is mere "philosophy" in this game?

I guess I walked into the kindergarten Constitution class ("It's what I say it is, not what it really is."). Can anyone tell me where the big kids are hanging out?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My"philosophy"? Laws and case law is mere "philosophy" in this game?

I guess I walked into the kindergarten Constitution class ("It's what I say it is, not what it really is."). Can anyone tell me where the big kids are hanging out?
View Quote
You by your acceptance of this concept don't believe 18 year olds are "real adults" bestowed of all civil rights.
That is a troubling philosophy.

Your post above smacks of the Jews who helped the Nazis load the other Jews on the train cars just so they could survive for a few more days.

Laws - 18 years old is the age of majority.
Period.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like you got yourself a strong case. You ought get your ass to the Supreme Court and tell them they got this shit all wrong. I'm sure they'll clear out all the time you need.

Or shut the fuck up about how you think you know me. It's not my "philosophy", it comes from the US Constitution as interpreted by the only body charged with interpreting it. Prove them wrong, not me. I got the same power here you do: less than dick.

Even the Originalist Scalia hung in there with current Federal firearms restrictions. (Heller v DC)

I cite my sources. You babble on about how you think it should be. Pass the Bar. Get appointed to the SC if you're so damn good with your shithouse lawyering.

Or stick to what you're doing here and all the influence it gets you. It's fuckin funny.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Yup,

This is the way to get things done, just throw daggers at each other...

Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:10:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sounds like you got yourself a strong case. You ought get your ass to the Supreme Court and tell them they got this shit all wrong. I'm sure they'll clear out all the time you need.

Or shut the fuck up about how you think you know me. It's not my "philosophy", it comes from the US Constitution as interpreted by the only body charged with interpreting it. Prove them wrong, not me. I got the same power here you do: less than dick.

Even the Originalist Scalia hung in there with current Federal firearms restrictions. (Heller v DC)

I cite my sources. You babble on about how you think it should be. Pass the Bar. Get appointed to the SC if you're so damn good with your shithouse lawyering.

Or stick to what you're doing here and all the influence it gets you. It's fuckin funny.
View Quote
Have a great day Elmer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Should we be pulling a counter initiative together?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Should we be pulling a counter initiative together?
View Quote
There's a school safety carry initiative gathering signatures now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#46]
OK, Initiative 1621, but how does that counter or help us against this initiative?

Is there any reason to file a counter initiative, or is it better to fight this one in the courts? I would think that the best way to fight this is with a counter propaganda campaign letting people know the true definitions of this initiative. Is there a local group who are organized and making a plan of action? I wanna volunteer to that effort?

That is one of the ways I-594 got approved, a lot of the sheeple didn't understand what they were voting for. This new initiative has a lot of cryptic language that tries to make it look nothing like what it really is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#47]
ITT we discover squiggy is a leftist troll.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ITT we discover squiggy is a leftist troll.
View Quote
No sir. I am not left. I am not right. I am a fucking American. We are all in this together. I am not part of the DSA. (Divided States of America) I am part of the USA. I understand that everyone did not grow up like I did. I understand that the majority of the state that I live in does not own guns. If a couple laws inconvenience me, but allow me to continue to live my way of life, I am not against them. So called assault weapons bans I am 100% against. Feel free to not agree with me. I don't need to be surrounded by people that all fall in line with my way of thinking. However, if you get butt hurt like a couple fellas in this thread, just because my beliefs don't fall in line with yours. I recommend you go talk to a shrink.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#49]
It feels like you're under the impression this is all they want and, after these get passed, they'll stop.  That couldn't be further from the truth, just ask them.  They're very open about their end goal being to disarm American citizens.  They won't stop pushing until they get this either.  If you agree with them or go along with them at any point on their long-term confiscation goals then it's only making it easier for them.  Every step of their process needs complete resistance and made to be as difficult as possible for them.  It's confusing to try and understand how anybody who supports the 2nd Amendment could be saying the things you are.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No sir. I am not left. I am not right. I am a fucking American. We are all in this together. I am not part of the DSA. (Divided States of America) I am part of the USA. I understand that everyone did not grow up like I did. I understand that the majority of the state that I live in does not own guns. If a couple laws inconvenience me, but allow me to continue to live my way of life, I am not against them. So called assault weapons bans I am 100% against. Feel free to not agree with me. I don't need to be surrounded by people that all fall in line with my way of thinking. However, if you get butt hurt like a couple fellas in this thread, just because my beliefs don't fall in line with yours. I recommend you go talk to a shrink.
View Quote
I don't believe you mr. big government
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top