Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 8:31:03 AM EDT
It's probably been talked about already, but if you plan on hitting CityWalk outside Universal, they have metal detector's at the entrance now.  I wasn't sure when I went with the family this weekend, carrying my pocket LCP, but had to turn around to put it back in the car.  Luckily we got an outstanding parking spot so it was no big deal.

Great place, but no more CC there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The hotels on Universal property also have metal detectors if you try and get on the boat shuttles to City Walk. Caught me by suprise.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I was there on Wednesday this week (Cisco Live party) and they had detectors everywhere.  We’re at Disney now (first park today) and I’m expecting more of the same.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, I was there on Wednesday this week (Cisco Live party) and they had detectors everywhere.  We’re at Disney now (first park today) and I’m expecting more of the same.
View Quote
Disney does random metal detector checks at the parks now. Nothing at Disney Springs though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, saw the show in December 2017...  I thought they were a bit over enthusiastic...  I had a SAK classic with a 1.25 inch blade that was a no go!!! Really?!?!?!?  The security measures are more of a show than actual security...  we had dinner in City Walk at Cowfish...  they gave us 5 inch sharp metal steak knives and chop sticks that were so palmable it was silly!...

Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, saw the show in December 2017...  I thought they were a bit over enthusiastic...  I had a SAK classic with a 1.25 inch blade that was a no go!!! Really?!?!?!?  The security measures are more of a show than actual security...  we had dinner in City Walk at Cowfish...  they gave us 5 inch sharp metal steak knives and chop sticks that were so palmable it was silly!...

https://www.thecowfish.com/images/thecowfish_logo.png
View Quote
But they stopped you with a knife from entering, sounds like they did their job.

Last time I went, they stopped people with lighters and checked all aerosol or spray containers.

Rumor is, Disney has long range body scanners.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But they stopped you with a knife from entering, sounds like they did their job.
View Quote
Well, not exactly.  We arrived the evening before we would be going to the park...  stayed at one of the hotels on that little water way...  did some recon that evening in anticipation of the next day's trip...  saw the show and asked about policy.  They told me the SAK Classic would not be allowed...  The following day, I decided to be a nice guy and just left my SAK classic in my room.  I knew I could probably get it past them but didn't feel the need to try just to prove a point...

My point was that they did successfully get me to leave my SAK in my room but then put the equivalent of an ESEE 3 or 4 in my hand (that was easily take-able) inside the secure space.  Tells me the security is not really serious and kind of more for show than anything else.  They feel that the public feels better "knowing" that they are in a secured space and they get some degree of plausable deniability in the event of shenanigans.  Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The hotels on Universal property also have metal detectors if you try and get on the boat shuttles to City Walk. Caught me by suprise.
View Quote
Well that is some BS. We always stay at the Portofino, so they have scanners at the actual boat dock now ?? like under the awning where u wait for the boat ?? WTF ?? Last time we were there, we pulled up u in the valet area, my wife always runs in to check us in as she is a master at getting free room upgrades. I usually have to police up the luggage and deal with the valet and bell service guys. I forgot I put my FiveSeven with the 30 rd mag, on the driver seat asI  went to the rear to load the luggage on the cart. The valet was like "Sir, are u bringing this with or ..." I walk up back up front and go sorry. He was cool, knew exactly what it was and said he wanted one.

After the family of 4 got executed on the Turnpike, I dont take any chances anymore as we usually leave to come back south, late at night. Many times , we are the only ones on the TP at 3:30 am.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rumor is, Disney has long range body scanners.
View Quote
That wouldn't surprise me a bit. Back in 2013-2014 (before there were any metal detectors) I was going there with a friend and some family members and one friend had his knife on him and he palmed it and slipped it behind his belt buckle on the way in. Security guard intercepted him before he got to the gate and asked him if he had a knife and to empty his pockets.  They didn't want him or anything and let him go on his way afterwards. Surprised the hell out of me at the time.

Back a few years ago, it probably would have been possible to carry in the mouse's house, but I doubt I'd consider trying it at all now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top