Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2017 4:32:55 PM EDT
Asking for a friend of mine who isn't very internet savy... Every school has their "we are awesome" website and talks about how awesome they are as a school.(much like army recruiting comercials, everybody gets to drive a tank and jump out of aircraft while smiling...)

What is the real deal? is it worth the 30K per year out of state tuition? How is the area, does the average person need Kevlar, a benchmade(if legal), and a large can of mace, or is it utopia land?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
which campus, and no i am not an alum
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Dad worked for UMD hospital for 30 years & I have no student loan debt as a result (thanks dad!  RIP).

I did not attend undergrad at U. MD's main campus in "college park."

The reputation back when I was in HS (mid 80s) was:

- UMD was a huge "diploma mill" with more than 30,000 undergrads back then (surely bigger now).  It was huge.  

Back then, the basic freshman "101" classes were held in auditoriums with 100 to 300 students.   Later classes were smaller.  

The impression was it was a big anonymous party school.  

Also, College Park is not the safest area in my opinion; others might disagree.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
i will admit to living near umes.
they wont even allow students to take book bags into the book store

dont ask about other things, just read the local news
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
UMCP is  not in a great area but its also not in a terrible area. Though I do remember someone getting shot in the butt while they were laying in bed, shot came from outside his room.

I think things started to really change around 1998-99 when for the incoming fall freshman class at college park needed  a really good SAT and GPA. To this day  they have required a high level , from their website :

For the Fall 2016 freshmen class, we received nearly 30,200 applications for a class of 4,075. For students admitted for the Fall 2016 semester, the middle 50% of SAT scores ranged from 1260 to 1420, and 29-33 on the ACT. As a result 25% of the admitted students scored below a 1260 on the SAT and 25% scored above a 1420. Admitted freshmen also earned an average weighted GPA of 4.21.
View Quote
But I remember people who graduated in the 80's say it was a total joke .

A few people I know just went to community college, did "ok" , got in and graduated with a Maryland Degree.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Technically I'm an alumni.  After two full time semesters and two part time semesters, I wasted money on partying and realizing I had no interest in school at that time.  25 years later, I now work just down the road in scenic Langley Park.  A wonderful Mecca for MS13.  While the heart of College Park right by the campus is relatively safe, it is in PG County and a stones throw from the crime haven known as our country's capital.  While they continually are building up the area to improve it, it is apparent that the college is more interested in making money than education.  As the warm weather gets here, the streets will be alive with college kids partying through the block of bars and streets of frats and sororities.  From my own experience, to what I see now, it's a party school masquerading as a state college.  Save money, two years at community college, then adjust fire accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to the community college for my first two years, then jumped to  UoMd University College (UMUC), it's the satellite campus version of UoMD. Never lived on campus, only took one class at College Park so I have nothing to say about that part of it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol, I went when tuition was $1500 per YEAR!
And even then, I got 60 credits first at a CC ' cause it was much cheaper.

Not a fan.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I went there but was 25 years ago. Don't remember much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went there but was 25 years ago. Don't remember much.
View Quote
$1 pitchers of Bud at The Vous???
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I am attending UMUC, do i count as an alumni?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a TERP alum!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I graduated in 1979, I like to tell young people what it cost back then. It makes them cry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top