Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2016 5:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Raptor22]
In Maryland, we have a complicated set of laws concerning the purchase and ownership of the AR platform.  If you owned it before the latest change in our laws in 2013, you can keep it; you just can't sell it in-state.

Putting aside building your own, we are basically limited to a rifle with a heavy barrel (HBAR).  The other limitations such as overall length are not relevant to my questions.

I would like a mid-length gas system. 16" bbl ok; 18" better.

Who makes a quality complete rifle with these specs ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
many makers have hbars.
psa, colt, ect ect

state law does not define what an hbar is, so the rifle/upper/barrel must be marketed as an hbar by tha manufactuerer

i personally built my lowers, bought an upper from hardened arms for the first, and will build my second
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you purchase a complete lower and complete upper and put them together? It doesn't take much in the way of tools, might save you some money, and might bypass the law.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Bushmaster upper that has a hbar barrel and no threads.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk to the guys over at Engage.  I know they have had WOA stamp some of their barrels HBAR for them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
bushmasters are no go, they are banned by name.

any upper/lower you uses the upper must still have an hbar barrel

yes md sucks

but at least you can legally buy 30rd mags in another state and bring them home.

just cant buy them here
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mdram:

yes md sucks

but at least you can legally buy 30rd mags in another state and bring them home.

just cant buy them here
View Quote

Good thing Maryland is a small state.  Quick drive to PA or VA and there ya go.  HBAR marked lowers would be easy to make.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the comments, but was curious as to a manufacturer who makes a complete, HBAR (and marked) mid-length rifle.  Not interested in building a gun.

As for the rest of the regulations, also well aware.  I am a retired LEO with an unrestricted carry permit, and relatively unlimited funds, so not worried about the rest of the hogwash.  Plenty of regular cap mags already and all I want are easily available.  Just looking for a complete gun that a dealer would have no problem transferring to me without any dancing around.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OldLawman:
I appreciate all the comments, but was curious as to a manufacturer who makes a complete, HBAR (and marked) mid-length rifle.  Not interested in building a gun.

As for the rest of the regulations, also well aware.  I am a retired LEO with an unrestricted carry permit, and relatively unlimited funds, so not worried about the rest of the hogwash.  Plenty of regular cap mags already and all I want are easily available.  Just looking for a complete gun that a dealer would have no problem transferring to me without any dancing around.
View Quote

I believe Engage also manufactures them too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
If I recall correctly, Colt makes an HBar that's stamped HBar. DPMS makes a few that have bull barrels but I don't think they are marked HBar. Stinks to be limited like that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

buy upper, stamp hbar on it

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

an almost any manufacturer has one.  do you have a brand preference?
have you talked to your dealer? many dealers actually stock them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#12]
In Maryland, we have a complicated set of laws concerning the purchase and ownership of the AR platform.  If you owned it before the latest change in our laws in 2013, you can keep it; you just can't sell it in-state.

Putting aside building your own, we are basically limited to a rifle with a heavy barrel (HBAR).  The other limitations such as overall length are not relevant to my questions.

Thanks.
View Quote

Del-Ton has this one that they say has a heavy profile mod-length 16" barrel.
16" Mid-length Heavy

They has this one as well.
16" Mid-length Heavy M-LOK

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#13]
Rock River has the Delta Mid-Length complete rifle. Would need to double check that they are stamped HBAR.
I have one of the uppers in mid length and it is very accurate.
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=568&CFID=587123184&CFTOKEN=15638834
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Might just be simpler to go to your local dealer and see what he offers. There are some great options above a well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Engage armament in Rockville has everything that you seek, plus they are awesome to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

buy upper, stamp hbar on it

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:53:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TBTn7] [#17]

View Quote

I'd get a Colt. You could have the barrel lightened under the handguard if weight was an issue and the HBAR markings would still be on the barrel. Since you made the above statement which I have highlighted in red, you might consider moving out of MD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Moving in a couple of years after my wife retires to a gun friendlier state, so that's already decided.

Until then, still looking.

Stamping HBAR on an otherwise non-HBAR gun is a good way to get into trouble here, so not worth the trouble.

Already own a Colt 6721 (HBAR A3 Carbine), but heard good things about a mid-length gas system - softer recoil, etc.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
You can also get a KAC of any flavor of your choosing. Since the SR-15e3 bolt is not interchangable with the AR-15 bolt, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I have read MSP stated the barrel needs to be stamped or advertised as a Hbar. May open up your selection if you find one advertised as heavy and not necessarily stamped.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:02:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TBTn7] [#21]
Originally Posted By OldLawman

Moving in a couple of years after my wife retires to a gun friendlier state, so that's already decided.
Until then, still looking.
Stamping HBAR on an otherwise non-HBAR gun is a good way to get into trouble here, so not worth the trouble.
Already own a Colt 6721 (HBAR A3 Carbine), but heard good things about a mid-length gas system - softer recoil, etc.

Originally Posted By TBTn7:

I'd get a Colt. You could have the barrel lightened under the handguard if weight was an issue and the HBAR markings would still be on the barrel. Since you made the above statement which I have highlighted in red, you might consider moving out of MD.
View Quote

Someone suggested stamping the HBAR marking on the barrel. It was not me. I suggested getting a Colt already marked that way and turning it down under the handguards if weight is a problem.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Check Windham...Quality stuff.
I would also say RRA ,but I'm have second thoughts about their stuff.
PSA maybe but I 'm not a fan of their CS
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Faxon has heavy fluted barrels. Nothing says you can't have the barrel fluted, and being advertised a "heavy" should leave you good to go.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Backnblack] [#24]
So glad I moved from that commie state..... Build your own.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
my brother has a RRA with a heavy barrel, I guess it's ok, it's kinda ugly gun I think

what is the thinking with requiring a heavy barrel?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By guyina4x4:
my brother has a RRA with a heavy barrel, I guess it's ok, it's kinda ugly gun I think

what is the thinking with requiring a heavy barrel?
View Quote

same reason an ar10 is fine
its less dangerous than a light barrel ar15

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Silver78] [#28]
To me personally this is the most close to perfect MD legal rifle offered from a major firearms manufacturer.  

https://www.stagarms.com/model-3g/

I sort of own this rifle.  I did it a little differently though.  I bought the complete upper on line from Pete in New Hampshire and I got Engage to build me a complete lower.  This was in 2013 and the pre-law panic was in full swing.

If I was planning to buy an AR15 today I would do one of two things:

1 - Order the complete Stag 3G rifle from Pete in NH and have it sent to a local MD dealer who is transfer friendly.  Before doing this I would contact the MD dealer and show him the exact model and make sure he is comfortable that it qualifies as an HBAR.  This should be pretty easy to do since the manufacturer website includes the following description of the barrel:  18", 410 stainless steel, fluted heavy barrel profile
But since the law does not carefully define what HBAR means it is better to be cautious and check with your dealer first.

Advantages = Only need to drive to local dealer to pick up.  Nationally known brand.  Probably a little cheaper since Pete gives a good discount.

2 - Go to Engage in Rockville and order a custom rifle to your specs.  If you do go to Engage I suggest that you tell them you have a preference for White Oak barrels and Geissele triggers then let them show you some options.

Advantages = Full custom you get exactly what you want.  Support a locally owned MD based business.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#29]

yes md sucks

just cant buy them here
View Quote

I just wanted to point out that this is a common mis-understanding.

Bushmaster brand ar's are not banned so long as they meet the current requirements of any other ar.

The Bushmaster's listed in the states list of banned firearms are very specific models. (ACR, Bushmaster semi auto rifle, and the Bushmaster super lite carbine).. not the manufacturer itself by name.
Link to MDSP list of banned firearms for reference.

Here is an image of the Bushmaster semi auto rifle for reference (with some very ugly wood i might add. Although they also came with polymer furniture).

Not trying to smite anyone, just trying to help those that may read this thread.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By lcoates33:

I just wanted to point out that this is a common mis-understanding.

Bushmaster brand ar's are not banned so long as they meet the current requirements of any other ar.

The Bushmaster's listed in the states list of banned firearms are very specific models. (ACR, Bushmaster semi auto rifle, and the Bushmaster super lite carbine).. not the manufacturer itself by name.
Link to MDSP list of banned firearms for reference.

Not trying to smite anyone, just trying to help those that may read this thread.
View Quote

thats interesting. as the law as written says 'bushmaster semi automatic rifles'

if you can find a dealer willing to transfer one, please let us know
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#31]

thats interesting. as the law as written says 'bushmaster semi automatic rifles'

if you can find a dealer willing to transfer one, please let us know
View Quote

It says "rifle" not "rifles".. but i know what you mean.

Most dealers will err on the side of caution. Just about all of them will agree that this specific entry on MDSP's list needs to be clarified.

The entry was on the list prior to 2013.. even when i bought my E2S V-match bushy from on target (Back in 2011). But now..

Maybe if more people were to complain, or take action we could get something done.
Then again this is MD. And trying to get more than 10 people together to do the same thing and be productive is like pissing in the wind.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#32]
msi has a large presence every year in Annapolis, but it doesn't do any good.

way too many liberals in the legislature.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks.
View Quote

Another vote for a KAC SR-15 E3 MOD 2.  You say you have some extra cash, might as well go to the top of the food chain!

These come with a proprietary gas system which is longer than a mid-length but shorter than a rifle AND a proprietary design bolt.  Both are improvements and separate KAC from a lot of whats out there IMHO.  

Here is one for $2k.
http://www.kellyenterprises.net/knight-s-armament-rifles-on-sale/knights-sr15-mod-2-rifle-detail.html
http://www.kellyenterprises.net/knight-s-armament-rifles-on-sale/knights-armament-sr-15-mod-2-mlok-rifle-detail.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top