Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2018 11:19:46 AM EDT
As the title states This past weekend had an unintentional discharge during a slip and fall inside my own home and it turns out deputies were nearby unknown to me and next thing i know I was under the bright lights and ordered to the ground and cuffed. They had no evidence of a crime and released me on the same private property but seized my at home carry pistol. Then I was told that I might get it back after a couple months if it checked out clean. Where or who do I contact about this to confirm they really even have my pistol in a lab or what the heck is going on? I'm glad I wasn't killed by the over zealous deputies but am uneasy about them leaving with my pistol and threatening me with the prospect of them rolling back in here with swat or some crazy shit.
I'm definetly way more scared of cops than baddies at this point.  By the way i had to fix the ceiling and roof before the rain the next day, Fun in many directions at once
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn that's fugged up! I've never had an accidental discharge before so I don't know how those situations play out.

Do you think those cops taking your sidearm is a result of the new bs laws and hysteria surrounding firearms? Or would they have done the same thing 10 years ago?

Either way that sucks man and I hope all works out for you the best it can.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
A slip and fall you say? But the hole was in the ceiling and roof? Something is not adding up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A slip and fall you say? But the hole was in the ceiling and roof? Something is not adding up.
View Quote
Heck, It does sound odd i guess. When I tripped over something in the floor and it happened, the pistol was pointed mostly vertical at the roof. I've had spinal cord and nerve damage due to an auto accident years ago and if i'm suddenly jarred just right my legs have a mind all of their own. No (funny) business was involved at all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Heck, It does sound odd i guess. When I tripped over something in the floor and it happened, the pistol was pointed mostly vertical at the roof. I've had spinal cord and nerve damage due to an auto accident years ago and if i'm suddenly jarred just right my legs have a mind all of their own. No (funny) business was involved at all.
View Quote
I can understand them coming to see what's up... the rest, does not sound right legally. There was no reason to take your firearm based ONLY on what you posted.

Is it possible someone else heard the shot and called?

Have you tried talking to someone of authority at the department?

Did they complete any type of paperwork, say a Property Receipt?

If the answer to the Property Receipt is no, I'd be interested in knowing what agency responded. If they did do some paperwork, does it have case/incident number on it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
lawyer up now, or at least contact Jon Gutmacher.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
No offense kind sir but it sounds like you walk around with your finger on the trigger.

Please don't do that.

And it doesn't sound like the cops should have taken your gun.

Wish you all the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Something doesn’t add up and I have a feeling you’re leaving something out.... a LEO wouldn’t seize your firearm and give you no inclination as to why.

You mention that you fell.  The fall, coupled with your pre-existing medical condition, has me wandering if you were transported to the hospital? If so, your pistol was taken for safekeeping.

My agency won’t even allow us to seize firearms from individuals that we Baker Act, unless said firearm was instrumental in the threat or act of self-harm, or the threat or act of harm to another.  Even then, the firearm can be returned after 72 hours.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
they just got a new throwaway gun.

Have you contacted a lawyer?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
they just got a new throwaway gun.

Have you contacted a lawyer?
View Quote
I'm sure that's EXACTLY what it is...

OP has not provided any follow up to this thread... wonder why?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sure that's EXACTLY what it is...

OP has not provided any follow up to this thread... wonder why?
View Quote
We know why...
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We know why...
View Quote
Why? I've been told to not elaborate on things. Lets just say I'm not involved in anything illegal. And expect to get my firearm back sometime. I'll just say I have a distrust for cops now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
lawyer up now, or at least contact Jon Gutmacher.
View Quote
Gutmacher retired from practice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As the title states This past weekend had an unintentional discharge during a slip and fall inside my own home and it turns out deputies were nearby unknown to me and next thing i know I was under the bright lights and ordered to the ground and cuffed. They had no evidence of a crime and released me on the same private property but seized my at home carry pistol.

By the way i had to fix the ceiling and roof before the rain the next day, Fun in many directions at once
View Quote
This story does not add up... Sounds more like a ND vs a AD...

No modern gun will go off because you fell
No modern gun would go off because it fell (p320 exception)
Hole in roof means you were pointing up
Gun went off means finger was on trigger
Gun went off means gun in hand and not in holster

Cops probably suspected the same bullshit and took it because of it.

I'd like to hear the other two sides to this story...
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this in the city, or out in the country?  If it's out in the country on your own private property, I'd contact the Sheriff himself.  What county?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I just read one of the OP’s conspiracy theories on a different forum.  Seriously... were you taken into protective custody under a Baker Act?  That would explain things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top