Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2022 10:54:03 AM EDT
I’m considering a new job in the Waco area and curious what ranges/competitions are in the area.

I don’t see anything in Practiscore, so hoping some locals can tell me what is available.

Edit: I accepted the role. Thankfully it is a remote role and they are being very lenient on when I need to move there, so I have time to find the right home. No idea on what neighborhoods are good areas. Our ideal situation is on the edge of town with a couple of private acres, but access to high speed internet trumps everything since we will both be work from home.

Any and all information, recommendations, and suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Not very current but I'll try.  There is an old-fashioned email mailing list available at https://www.txipsc.net/listinfo/txipsc.  It mostly deals with south and central Texas matches, but you could post a note and someone should help out.

I used to go to one out northwest of Waco, it was known as the Waco match.  Ii think it was at the Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club on FM 2490.
Going north towards Dallas there is lots of stuff at ETTS and some at TDSA.  
North towards Fort Worth, not sure what is at Cleburne or Cresson these days (there used to be a big range but it got shut down, help me out here guys)
Not sure about Temple, Belton, Killeen area.  There's stuff around Austin, at Liberty Hill I think.

Edit: Checked the last couple txipsc lists, it talked about matches in Bulverde, Burnet, and this one in Temple:
Hello Shooters!

Temple Gun Club Thursday Night Steel Match is 3 stages of family fun held from May until mid August at Temple Gun Club Range 3924 FM 438 Loop, Temple, TX 76501. The minimum round count for the match is 75 rounds, but always bring more in case you miss.

Only one gun per shooter if we have a high turn out. Shooting starts at
18:00 until 20:00 or until official sunset. Match fee is $10 per person, Juniors are FREE. Please make sure to bring a bag for your firearm or an appropriate belt holster. Slings are not allowed and a par time may be set at 30 sec on the timer if a high turn out to make sure everyone gets to shoot. The minimum and maximum calibers are 22LR, 9mm – 45 auto. No magnum loads, tracer, steel core or incendiary rounds are allowed. Please make sure you arrive early for check in. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]. Also, check out this YouTube Video to learn more about Steel Challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fni4BlduAYY

If you have signed up on Practiscore and are unable to attend please withdraw as soon as possible. If we can have a few volunteers come early and help set up the stages it would be appreciated. I will be at the range between 4:30pm and 5:00pm to open the front gate and conex boxes. Please bring your own water this year as we will not be providing it.

Practiscore Link:

https://practiscore.com/temple-gun-club-thursday-night-steel-challenge-6-16-2022/register

Thank you and good shooting.

Jason Armstrong
MD
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Looks like Temple is the only close option. I’ll dig in there. Much obliged
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, Looks like Temple is the only close option. I’ll dig in there. Much obliged
View Quote

Temple is the closest thing that has regular matches.

ETTS isn't too bad a of a drive but I think they're mostly 3-gun.

Waco Rifle and Pistol Club used to have fairly regular steel challenge matches, but I have no idea what they're doing now with them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Temple Gun Club hosts pistol and rifle matches.  Copperas Cove Pistol Club also hosts pistol matches and an AK oriented match.  IM me with any questions you have.  

Central Texas has a lot of opportunities to shoot.  I was very disgruntled when my wife was looking at jobs elsewhere, because everywhere she looked had less local matches than I have access to here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Every spring and fall: https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/wtf
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ETTS isn't too bad a of a drive but I think they're mostly 3-gun.
View Quote

ETTS has IDPA, Steel, USPSA, and 3-gun matches, usually a different one each weekend (calendar: https://www.ettsgunrange.com/etts-calendar).

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out Tiger Valley.  The range is east of Waco.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Tiger Valley in Mart was (life happened and I haven't checked in a while) having monthly two gun matches.  They were very informal and laid back, but fun.  

Brazosland Pistoleros out of College Station has alternating steel and USPSA matches every two weeks.  You can look them up on Facebook if interested.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh good more options. I’m open to 3-gun and would really like to do 2-gun so thanks all for sharing the info.

Now to figure out where to buy a home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top