Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 4:38:01 PM EDT
What fresh Hell is this?  Up from $2.99/lb about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You been living under a rock? Meat prices have been going up and brisket seems to be the one getting a lot of attention. Local place near me had skirt steak at $6/lb a few weeks ago, now its $12/lb.

Smoked brisket in my area is now $26-35/lb.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I was reading something a while back about this.  If I remember correctly there was a bunch of people that got drunk on Corona beer for cinco de mayo and started to call in sick at the meat packing plants so the price for beef has gone up due to supply and demand.  This seem to also cause the stores to run out of toilet paper because they must have got the beer shits (why else would all the TP be gone).

This is why I drink Shiner.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I just told my wife to "Pick up a big brisket" on Thursday and about shit when I saw the price as I opened it Sunday.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Bizarrely, beef tenderloin roast has been half price when I last saw it due to lack of demand for restaurant fillets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The corona + beer shits on cinco de Mayo is the most plausible story I have come across as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are in the Austin area and want some good meat, check out Longhorn Meat Market, it is on MLK, just a bit east of IH35.  I was able to find briskets there even when everyone else in town was out.  A lot of places have been grinding brisket to make hamburger because there has been a big run on that.  That has driven the price way up for both hamburger and brisket.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Kroger had brisket for $1.67 last week. I don't remember the grade.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Plano Costco off Tollway had prime brisket at $3.49/lb again as of Friday afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The real question should be "where is a reasonable priced source of smoking wood?"...  mainly oak and pecan.  Prices have gone up and availability isn't always good.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
HEB in Austin was 4.49/lb for Prime this past week, the week before it was over 5/lb
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HEB in Austin was 4.49/lb for Prime this past week, the week before it was over 5/lb
View Quote

I've gotten to where I hardly go to HEB any more, and I try not to shop in the city of Austin due to their stupidity.  And a lot of the time the HEB near me has either had no briskets or has been limiting quantities.  I have been shopping in Round Rock a lot more, and Aldi's (although they don't have briskets, they smoke HEB on prices on just about everything else) and Randall's (their meat seems to be better than HEB most of the time) a lot more.  Occasionally Sam's Club has had reasonable prices on brisket.  If I do go down into Austin Longhorn Meat Market on MLK has had briskets when nobody else has.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Aldi's feels like I'm shopping in Canada.  Almost the same, but just different enough for me not to trust it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top