Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2020 2:26:59 PM EDT
Working on an Orlando area battle buddies ruck for Saturday, 29 FEB. Working on the exact location and route now.

OPORD will be finished at work today (lol) and posted this evening.

Input and recommendations are welcome.

@tclfa  
@swamp_fighter
@IslandTimes
@Onefast93z28
@HiFlow
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
SITUATION:
Area of Operations: Split Oak Trail Complex, 10525 Clapp Simms Duda Road, Orlando FL 32832
Terrain:  Sandy trail through wooded areas.  Occasional tree roots and tripping hazards during the course.  Some boardwalks over large water areas; occasional smaller puddles may require crossing.  Venomous snakes have been spotted on the trail as recently as January 2020.
Weather: High ~83/Low ~63
Sunrise: 0710
Higher Mission/Intent:
Mission: The mission of the American Battle Buddies (ABB) is to provide public service to the nation by encouraging physical fitness and organization for patriotic Americans throughout the country.
Intent:  The purpose of these hikes is to establish the Florida ABB network.  These groups will meet in various cities across the state to develop a functional network.  Events have already been scheduled in Tampa, Jacksonville, and the Panhandle.  Orlando ABB will support this endeavor by completing one initial ruck march in preparation for more intensive events.

MISSION: Orlando ABB conducts 3 mile ruck march at 0800, 0900 29 FEB 2020 at Split Oak Trail in order to establish the local ABB network.

EXECUTION:
Intent: My purpose is to establish local ABB groups in the Orlando area in conjunction with groups in other areas of the state.  Our key tasks are to 1) meet others in our area, and 2) conduct an initial ruck march.  Desired end state is a 3.4 mile hike in approximately one hour with no injuries.
Concept of Operation: Members will arrive at Split Oak Forest at 0800 0900. Group will conduct safety brief, prep gear, wait for latecomers/stragglers, etc. until step-off at 0830 0930.  Group will follow a loop of 3.4 miles before returning to the parking lot.  Packs will NOT be weighed; this exercise is an introductory event.  Upon completion of the event, ABB will make coordination for the next event and conduct AAR.
Scheme of Maneuver:  Group will move in a column through the trail, allowing traffic to pass as necessary.  No halts will be conducted due to the short distance.  Packs are not required.  Pace will be minimum 19:00/hr according to ABB SOP.
Coordinating Instructions:  ABB standards are HERE.  Our next event will begin the certification process.  Members are encouraged but not required to use a minimum 35lb framed pack (excluding water).  
Timeline:
0800 0900- Arrival
0830 0930- Step Off
0930 1030- March Complete
0945 1045- Depart Area
Uniform/Packing List:
Required: Athletic/outdoor clothes, boots or athletic shoes.  Motivation.
Recommended:  Rucksack with frame with minimum 35lbs.  Straps secured and packed tight. Bug spray/sunscreen/allergy meds as needed.

SUSTAINMENT:
Logistics:  Restroom facilities are NOT available on site.  Treeline may be utilized for liquid waste.  No open-carry firearms are permitted at the trail.  If hiking with a plate carrier, remove any magazines/ordnance that would cause concern to passing hippies.
Class I (food/water):  Running water is NOT available on site. 3 gallons will be staged at the vehicles for topping off.  Recommend bringing at minimum one 32oz bottle of water.  Energy bars/gels are recommended.
Class VIII (medical): Emergency aid bag located with vehicles.  Bring allergy meds/personal prescriptions as needed.
Medical: If a medical emergency occurs on trail, members will call 911 and move casualty to trailhead if possible.  MEDEVAC card will be available during movement.  Minor medical issues may be treated onsite if within the skillset of first aid and basic medical supplies (i.e., blisters, cuts, etc.)

COMMAND AND SIGNAL:

Command Posts: Main gather point is the south trailhead parking lot at CLAPP SIMMS DUDA ROAD.  This is the default “end” location for Google Maps.  Apple Maps WILL PASS the south lot and end on the north lot.  Gather point is the SOUTH PARKING LOT.
Identification: Gather point will be identified by a neon yellow flag.
Signal: Arfcom thread is the primary communication until step-off; OP will be active on the thread until step-off at 0830 0930.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Other ORL members:
@robertmegar
@THEBAUMER
@cavegeo
@MrHold
@Vinnland

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Last one-
@PR361
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have hiked at Wekiwa Springs State park a couple times. They have a number of trails, and I believe one of them is a little short of 6 miles. The trail I'm thinking of isn't paved and does get a little tricky at some points. Downsides are you do have to pay per vehicle, and it gets really crowded unless you get there by 9.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Im probably good for this one. I dont know if Ill go all out with the weighted pack. Probably just go for the hike and exercise.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I am working late that Friday night but what the hell I am in!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm having oral surgery on the 26th. Doubt I'll be able to attend.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm working nights right now. Keep me on the list I will participate as my schedule allows.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
OPORD posted!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
This is good I know the area as I have camped on the other side of the lake at Moss Park.  I have been out to this site for my job once as well.  Not many people use the area from what I can tell.

I plan to attend.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]
See if I can make this!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets keep this near the top.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Might attend this one.

Plus OP sets a new higher standard in OPORDs!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I may drive down for this one too, had a great time at the Largo hike today.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Orlando stepping up! Good stuff. I’ll check the calendar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
NCBB had marching music, played Van Halen over speakers while they hiked. FL, we gotta step up our game!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NCBB had marching music, played Van Halen over speakers while they hiked. FL, we gotta step up our game!!
View Quote
Oh, a nice quiet stroll is out of the question?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who wants that when you can have The Official Anthem Of The Boogaloo on a loop for 2 straight hours?

Vengaboys - We like to Party! (The Vengabus)
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Timeline has moved an hour later based on AAR comments from the Tampa group’s hikes.

Members tend to drive long distances to join the event, so an extra hour allows more time to arrive for the out-of-towners
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Timeline has moved an hour later based on AAR comments from the Tampa group’s hikes.

Members tend to drive long distances to join the event, so an extra hour allows more time to arrive for the out-of-towners
View Quote
Thanks man, I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

I'm bringing Spartacus Junior, we'll be there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Now to throw this in the mix if you are traveling long distance and want to kill the rest of the day on the range

Triple N range is only at the most a 45 min. drive  away  595 Donovan Crews Rd, St Cloud, FL 34773

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/shooting-ranges/triple-n-ranch/
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be there! Any issue with bringing SO's if they wish to attend?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ben's official word on that is Bring Them:

I'd like to encourage you to bring your sons and daughters aged 16 or older, neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc.

It is time for this to grow well beyond ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Roger that sir!
I'm not 100% she'll attend, but I'll be there for sure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Coming from brevard this is a bit better. I just looked up the actual location and the drive is not that bad at all. Maybe 35-45 minutes if traffic is low. I should most likely be there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah thats kind of inconsiderate to others out the using the trails IMIHO.

Are you guys going to be blasting music on this one? I dont mind personally, just thinking about others.

I need to get active again. Now that my old lady is recovered from her cancer I need to get my ass moving more often. Its a 3 hr drive if I leave early. Gonna have to see how my old lady feels
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you guys going to be blasting music on this one? I dont mind personally, just thinking about others.
View Quote
My comments about blasting music were merely meant to be humor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a way to get around the rifle weight, a spotting scope attached to a M1 stock or any stock you could mount a spotting scope and sling.

It may raise eye brows but it's a spotting scope

I will bring it to meetup

Granted it would be lighter than rifle, but we are also out there to observe nature in it's natural habitat

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
l
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I was interested in making this first meetup, my son has two basketball games left, one this Saturday and the last one on March 7th at 10AM, with practice at 9:30AM. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one, if it's not on March 21st. Have a Florida Carry meetup here in Gemini Springs park that day. Wish you all a great hike and post pictures, I want to get some ideas on how to prepare for the next one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I can actually make this one so I’m gonna try to be there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#34]
35 # ruck minus water to qualify, correct?

Nevermind I read the opords...

Edited for: due to my laziness.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I need to get active again. Now that my old lady is recovered from her cancer I need to get my ass moving more often. Its a 3 hr drive if I leave early. Gonna have to see how my old lady feels
View Quote
With the ease of using personal music devices, there is no need to pollute the environment  with loud noise that may or may not be what those around you want to here.

I like the peace and quiet of the trail. Charge your phone. Bring your earbuds. Please.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My comments about blasting music were merely meant to be humor.
View Quote
I figured. My sense of humor lately has been dented.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I can make this one!  Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#38]
@leftytheking

My notification didn't work.  One thing I've seen from the LivePD threads is to try putting a blank line between each @ and they usually do only 5 or 6 per message.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@leftytheking

My notification didn't work.  One thing I've seen from the LivePD threads is to try putting a blank line between each @ and they usually do only 5 or 6 per message.
View Quote
Weird... @ notifications are down in EE as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, I see the real reason.  You have me spelled "tclfa" and it should be "tcfla".
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OK, I see the real reason.  You have me spelled "tclfa" and it should be "tcfla".
View Quote
I blame autocorrect
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I will ask again anyone thinking about going to range after hike?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Alright, I won’t make this one, owe that AM to family.

I like the idea of Wekiva for the next go-round, it’s a zoo but has some good trails.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I’m gonna commit to this one, I’ll be bringing a plus one if that’s ok. I can’t do the range after, But I’m gonna be there
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will ask again anyone thinking about going to range after hike?
View Quote
I considered it but didnt want to leave my stuff unattended in the vehicle while hiking.  It might be cool to set up a range day for those interested.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like about 55-60 deg. F. with up to 15MPH winds at 10AM tomorrow.  Dress accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll be there.  SpartacusJr won't (forgot he had a pre-existing engagement elsewhere).

If anybody wants their ruck weighed, I'll have a hand-held luggage scale, it's pretty damn slick.  @MoarCoffee taught me that trick.  I'd like to have OP and another member witness my weight so I can use this as 3 miles toward my 3rd Class rating.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Regarding the range: without much interest it seems a range trip afterwards might be better after people get out there a time or two.

I figured I’d pick up a luggage scale as well so we can give people a feeling for how heavy their packs are.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: added a route map for reference
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks like I can make this one after all.  See you all in a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#50]
On my way
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top