Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 12:45:53 AM EDT
Two cops who tased the college kids last summer during the mostly peaceful protests. Apparently none of the 6 cops who were charged that night have been prosecuted. At this point, all 6 are still or could be still on the payroll.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/apd-officers-fired-for-using-tasers-on-college-students-reinstated/U2D7PVGZGVAI3DYQHYQ5COVVU4/
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Virtually no criminal cases are moving right now due to the pandemic.  It's been almost a year since any grand juries have met or jury trials have taken place.

I watched part of the civil service hearing.  The APD didn't follow its own procedures in the personnel process.  Whether or not you like it or agree with it, the Fifth Amendment applies to public employment.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Virtually no criminal cases are moving right now due to the pandemic.  It's been almost a year since any grand juries have met or jury trials have taken place.

I watched part of the civil service hearing.  The APD didn't follow its own procedures in the personnel process.  Whether or not you like it or agree with it, the Fifth Amendment applies to public employment.
View Quote

Not sure about Fulton, but grand juries have convened in some counties over the past year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Good news. The cops should remember this lesson
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
No way in hell if I was one of those cops that I would go back to APD; give me my settlement check, fuck you very much, peace out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lee, does that mean misdemeanor charges go away if this goes on for another year?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lee, does that mean misdemeanor charges go away if this goes on for another year?
View Quote

Who knows what the end result will be?  

We've had multiple orders come down from the state Supreme Court halting all jury trials.  How that and the declared state of emergency pertain to the statute of limitations is something I have not researched.

I personally expect lots and lots of dismissals.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with this one, but basically you're saying it's a technicality thing?
View Quote

Yes.  Basically, the panel ruled that the city didn't follow its own procedures and reversed the termination. The city had claimed that an emergency need to fire them outside of the normal process existed.

It's possible that the city may now move to fire them following the normal channels.

If you read the article linked my initial post, the legal issues are explained.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Prosecutors can file accusations on misdemeanors (and some felonies), so there’s no excuse for letting a statute of limitations run.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Prosecutors can file accusations on misdemeanors (and some felonies), so there's no excuse for letting a statute of limitations run.
View Quote

You still have to hold the trials...
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with this one, but basically you're saying it's a technicality thing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If constitutional rights are a “technicality” then yes.

“Right to work state” doesn’t mean what a lot of people think especially in public employment. People—including public employees—have rights. This is the reason cops are put on administrative leave pending investigation. It’s part of the legal/constitutional  process to remove them from office .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top