Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/11/2021 8:32:19 PM EDT
Been trying to get pics of this jake since spring. Part of a flock in the Shell Rock Preserve near Rock Falls, hunting is not allowed. Should be really interesting if he grows to maturity, as it it he looks to be about 15 pounds, spurs are short and he had the start of a beard growing in(maybe an inch or so).
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost looks like a half wild half farm bird hybrid. Or maybe a piebald genetic mutant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Almost looks like a half wild half farm bird hybrid. Or maybe a piebald genetic mutant.
View Quote

I'm leaning more towards a color mutation myself, everything else about him looks like a common wild turkey. I'd think a cross would show some of the body features of a farm bird-like the absurdly large breast muscles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Possibly Heritage breed called the Narragansett.  There are at least a dozen heritage breeds in Iowa, I raise bourbon reds.

Narragansett:

Bourbon Reds:

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Possibly Heritage breed called the Narragansett.  There are at least a dozen heritage breeds in Iowa, I raise bourbon reds.

Narragansett:
https://morningchores.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/About-Narragansett-Turkeys-An-Older-And-Showier-Turkey-Variety-FI.jpg

Bourbon Reds:
https://products.blains.com/600/101/1015981.webp

View Quote

Very possible. Those reds are cool looking too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen 2 off color over the years one was completely straw colored the other was white

If I dig enough I may have a pic of the straw
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen 2 off color over the years one was completely straw colored the other was white

If I dig enough I may have a pic of the straw
View Quote

I saw one quite a bit like this one near Protivin(Howard County) last year but couldn't get a good picture, and several years ago we had a pure white hen near public ground outside of Elma.

Never heard of one with a straw color.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
@shack357 crappy long range cellphone potatoe pic but you get the idea

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Still cool.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still cool.
View Quote

That and the white one I seen were both hens an off color tom would be very cool I haven't bought an archery fall turkey tag in forever but probably will this year I seen a couple Boone and Crockett Tom's last fall
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That and the white one I seen were both hens an off color tom would be very cool I haven't bought an archery fall turkey tag in forever but probably will this year I seen a couple Boone and Crockett Tom's last fall
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still cool.

I usually buy a turkey tag and keep it along for bow season just in case. Lots of turkeys on my inlaws' farm, hate to miss an opportunity.

Heading out in the morning, we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I usually buy a turkey tag and keep it along for bow season just in case. Lots of turkeys on my inlaws' farm, hate to miss an opportunity.

Heading out in the morning, we'll see what happens.
View Quote

We used to have tons of turkeys the neighbor was so pissed he couldn't even get done planting a field before they were out digging it up now they are pretty few and far between but they seem to be on the rebound some
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top