Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2022 5:49:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to see it but last time it died on the vine. Too many blue hairs and church groups get their panties in a wad and rile up the R's over all the alcohol that would flow freely in the streets causing all kinds of death and mayhem.  

The dems aren't gonna go for it since it would shrink government and most of the slugs at ABC are firmly in their camp!

If I recall it didn't even make it out of the committee when the R's had a supermajority.

It was way back in 2010:
https://richmond.com/abc-stores-to-vanish/article_f1e9294f-f419-5c40-b6bc-d3705c31918f.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I figure Virginia makes too much money off being the liquor monopoly to get rid of it.  So people will talk about this, propose abolishing it, but nothing will ever come of it because it would mean shrinking the government not just by the ABC but also reducing spending to account for the lost profits it brings to VA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#3]
ABC just built a brand new facility in Hanover County that is their new HQ and main warehouse.  I would doubt if they have any intention of releasing their grip on the liquor business.

It would be nice to see private industry take the business over and provide some actual good old fashioned price competition.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ABC just built a brand new facility in Hanover County that is their new HQ and main warehouse.  I would doubt if they have any intention of releasing their grip on the liquor business.

It would be nice to see private industry take the business over and provide some actual good old fashioned price competition.
View Quote

If the Nick Freitas bill passes, it appears that it would apply only to the retail stores. ABC could still control the wholesale operation, so that any privately-owned liquor stores would have to buy their stock from ABC.

Having said all that, I think that ABC is enough of a money maker for Virginia that there's no way that the stores will be privatized.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If the Nick Freitas bill passes, it appears that it would apply only to the retail stores. ABC could still control the wholesale operation, so that any privately-owned liquor stores would have to buy their stock from ABC.

Having said all that, I think that ABC is enough of a money maker for Virginia that there's no way that the stores will be privatized.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed too big a money maker for Va, ABC being distributor and more retail outlets might work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope it happens but it’s not likely. Too many people making too much money from their monopoly.  

VA-ABC is a perfect example of why Communism always fails!

Limited selection, high prices, low inventory. You buy what they choose to offer at the prices they demand you pay or you don’t drink at all.

Their ridiculous “allocations” and people waiting in line overnight for a CHANCE at being allowed to by a bottle of something premium is straight out of the Soviet Union. I guarantee you “party bosses” get their fill without waiting in line.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#7]
While I can’t stand the idea of the VABC stores and most of their policy, the lotto is essentially the only chance a working man has at getting decent bottles. When anything good hits the shelves, you had better be in line long before the store opens and that doesn’t happen for much of the blue collar Virginians. Otherwise, secondary prices are in your future and they absolutely suck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]
ABC stores are  the top money maker for Va. they will never give it up.  Plans are already in the works for revamping stores into  pot dispensaries as well as alcohol sales .
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Aren't there states close by that sell liquor at cheaper prices...asking for a friend...
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont understand the obsession some have with this.  The state makes a lot of money on liquor taxes and to even more because of their monopoly.  I dont actually care about the monopoly or the stores.  The state makes some money and when I could carry in the stores it was just like any other retailer.  If the state switches to a special license for liquor stores where they still have wholesale monopoly, and only the connected can get the retail license, which is what they will do, how is this better?  I doubt it saves any one any money at retail.  It is not worth wasting political capital on.  

I am totally behind eliminating the VA ABC, all their taxes, licenses and regulations and going all in on real free market but it wont ever happen.  It could and should happen with Marijuana since the framework does not exist.  The state should not be in the business of taxing and therefor having a vested interest in the success of vice based businesses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like the “supply chain” might drain some of that cash flow. The stores have been low on stocks for months now, but this was the Locust Grove store on Friday. Gin and whiskey pretty much wiped out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top