Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2021 8:49:14 AM EDT
I know that SBR's are illegal here in the state of NJ and legal with a tax stamp in other states like PA. I was in my local LGS in NJ and he had a Troy A4 with a 10.5” barrel and he told me it's perfectly legal in NJ so, my question is what makes it legal and not considered an SBR. I know it's categorized as an “other”, what makes it an “other” and what prevents me from building an “other” because he made it sound not too simple to do? Is it just as simple as putting a SBA3 brace on it? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The simple answer is it's not a rifle because it's not designed to shouldered and it's not a pistol because you are supposed to fire it will both hands (fore grip).  Same as the designation of the Mossberg Shockwave and Remington TAC-14
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a firearm because:

It’s not a rifle because there is no stock thus, not meant to be shouldered
It’s not a pistol because it’s designed to be fired with 2 hands, hence the VFG
It’s not an AOW because it’s over 26” in length (end of buffer tube to barrel tip)

If you want to build one from a stripped receiver, go ahead. Plenty of people have. Just understand the rules because you don’t want to build an AR pistol (not legal in NJ) or an SBR (felony without a stamp, and also illegal in NJ).

If you want to build a shorter version, AOW are legal in NJ but you gotta follow all the steps regarding NFA items before you put it together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top