Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2021 2:25:37 PM EDT
Will be taking a family vacation to the Canyon area from MI. Kaibab plateau, Pawhole, white pocket, and then down to tusayan(so we can camp outside the south rim and take daily trips into the Canyon for hiking and what not), then down to slate Mntn, fossil creek.
This will be a 2 week vacation. leaving on April 18th, Driving our own vehicle
 Any recommendations, info, knowledge, suggestions to good trails for basic off-roading, advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you in advance for any help.

ETA: Anyone have good reliable HAM frequencies (preferably 2m, but 70cm will work as well) in those areas, just in case stuck or something happens and there's no cell service.

Respectfully,
Doc
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will be taking a family vacation to the Canyon area from MI. Kaibab plateau, Pawhole, white pocket, and then down to tusayan(so we can camp outside the south rim and take daily trips into the Canyon for hiking and what not), then down to slate Mntn, fossil creek.
This will be a 2 week vacation. leaving on April 18th, Driving our own vehicle
 Any recommendations, info, knowledge, suggestions to good trails for basic off-roading, advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you in advance for any help.

Respectfully,
Doc
View Quote

Nice!

Some quick notes:

1.  Make sure the areas you want to go are open, ie Kaibab Plateau has parts that are usually closed for winter until May 15(normally), like the North Rim of the GC.  
2.  Jacob Lake Inn cookies are BOMB!!!
2.  I think Paw Hole requires a permit, so check that.  I dont think White Pocket does.  There are a ton of slot canyons up that way too, like antelope and whatnot(some require tour guide)
3.  Most back roads here are pretty good here, of course get your beta on it, but any mainstream areas will be an easy drive, minus mud/snow/weather.
4.  Also nothing is direct here as you probably noticed, be prepared for longer drives to get some places.  IE north rim to south rim is a 300mi drive lol... 4-5hrs.
5.  If you need to cross a reservation.. be sure their roads are open.
6.  Always have water with you.  Also in the grand canyon areas on the top, be prepared for surprise winter storms in April.  Usually one last hurrah.  And it can get cold.  Im sure in April, not so bad, but negative temps are not uncommon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice!

Some quick notes:

1.  Make sure the areas you want to go are open, ie Kaibab Plateau has parts that are usually closed for winter until May 15(normally), like the North Rim of the GC.  
2.  Jacob Lake Inn cookies are BOMB!!!
2.  I think Paw Hole requires a permit, so check that.  I dont think White Pocket does.  There are a ton of slot canyons up that way too, like antelope and whatnot(some require tour guide)
3.  Most back roads here are pretty good here, of course get your beta on it, but any mainstream areas will be an easy drive, minus mud/snow/weather.
4.  Also nothing is direct here as you probably noticed, be prepared for longer drives to get some places.  IE north rim to south rim is a 300mi drive lol... 4-5hrs.
5.  If you need to cross a reservation.. be sure their roads are open.
6.  Always have water with you.  Also in the grand canyon areas on the top, be prepared for surprise winter storms in April.  Usually one last hurrah.  And it can get cold.  Im sure in April, not so bad, but negative temps are not uncommon.
View Quote

Thank-you for the very useful Info.
Will definitely look into permit to camp by pawhole.
Any restaurants along those routes that you recommend?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Went to white pocket this past fall. The sand is pretty deep in some places. I imagine you have a high clearance 4x4? I wouldn't want to do that in a camry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Went to white pocket this past fall. The sand is pretty deep in some places. I imagine you have a high clearance 4x4? I wouldn't want to do that in a camry.
View Quote

Jeep Compass 2.4l 4x4, lifted 2 1/4", has new toyo open country AT3's.
Not the ideal off reading vehicle, but it works for 2 trackin and basic off roading. The good thing is the 4wd is a true 4wd and not just an awd.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a lot of canyons in AZ, but I think you are talking about the Grand Canyon.

If you like lot's of other people and tourist things, go to the south rim.
If not go to the north rim
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are a lot of canyons in AZ, but I think you are talking about the Grand Canyon.

If you like lot's of other people and tourist things, go to the south rim.
If not go to the north rim
View Quote

Yes, the grand canyon. Will be hitting up both sides. But pretty sure the north rim entrance will be closed so we're going to camp close to the north Kaibab plateau and hit up any trails to hike, then moving along to Pawhole, white pocket, then down to south rim entrance  just north of tusayan, will stay in that area for a cpl days to hike in the Grand Canyon. Then heading down to slate Mntn, then heading further south to fossil creek.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Chances are north rim entrance will be closed. Are there any good reasons, besides wooded camping and some trails, to head to kaibab plateau?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you realize it's about a 200 to 220 hundred mile drive from South rim to North rim. It's only 21 if you hike it. Sounds like you will have a fun trip.

ETA: Freeride mentioned the distance between rims.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make sure you realize it's about a 200 to 220 hundred mile drive from South rim to North rim. It's only 21 if you hike it. Sounds like you will have a fun trip.

ETA: Freeride mentioned the distance between rims.
View Quote

Definitely was taken into account when planning. The thing that concerns me, is exactly where we'll be able to camp for free(permitless). I looked into pawhole, thats a no go as we'd need a permit for each in our family and it's even more to camp overnight. We may just camp @ white pocket and explore that area before heading to the South rim. It's difficult being OCD and planning an area you're not familiar with. Will try to plan as best as possible and be flexible once we get there. This is why I'm trying to get as much info from you guys as possible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a scenic route that's a mild 4WD trail (most passenger cars could probably make it.)

It starts in Williams (south canyon entrance road is through the area) and ends in Jerome. The views are mostly behind you so it pays to stop an look around, especially as you get closer to Jerome. Very reminicent of the Sedona area.

https://www.arizonahighways.com/explore/scenic-drives/perkinsville-road
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Definitely was taken into account when planning. The thing that concerns me, is exactly where we'll be able to camp for free(permitless). I looked into pawhole, thats a no go as we'd need a permit for each in our family and it's even more to camp overnight. We may just camp @ white pocket and explore that area before heading to the South rim. It's difficult being OCD and planning an area you're not familiar with. Will try to plan as best as possible and be flexible once we get there. This is why I'm trying to get as much info from you guys as possible.
View Quote
hipcamp.com is leaping into prominence while AZ campsites are shutdown for COVID.

I have grown up with public campsites being available for $5-$9 throughout the state, yet those days are over.

The hipcamp site hosts have the ability to guarantee your stay and add a little local leverage.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Theres a slot canyon north of White Pockets thats a nice hike.Wire Pass Trail is what it's called.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank-you guys for the info.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But pretty sure the north rim entrance will be closed so we're going to camp close to the north Kaibab plateau and hit up any trails to hike...
View Quote

If North Rim is closed, there are a lot of Forest Service roads and trails on the rest of the Plateau. Lots of good camping.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have any good 2m or 75cm frequencies? Any known, good repeaters in the area?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not lic, just listen sometimes... but I noticed a lot of repeater nets just recently disappeared from repeaterbook a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Forgot to mention. House rock road that leads to the turn off for white pocket has a Ca condor viewing area. There weren't any when we were there, but it's neat for a quick stop. Navajo Bridge was also neat for another quick stop. They built the new one right next to the old one, which you can walk across.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention. House rock road that leads to the turn off for white pocket has a Ca condor viewing area. There weren't any when we were there, but it's neat for a quick stop. Navajo Bridge was also neat for another quick stop. They built the new one right next to the old one, which you can walk across.
View Quote

Thanks. We will definitely check those 2 spots out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Just came back from there a few days ago. South entrance was the only one open. We arrived there right about 10am and the wait to get in was about an hour. When we left about 1pm the line was easily twice the length if not longer. About 2/3 were masked on the rim trail. That's all the info i have.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone have any good 2m or 75cm frequencies? Any known, good repeaters in the area?
View Quote

Rimlink is the one to be on. It's one of the larger interlinked repeater networks in Arizona and has a site on Mt. Elden, which is one of the highest mountains in AZ and it's not far from the Grand Canyon. The Elden frequency is 147.14 MHz, 162.2 PL tone. The 448.5MHz 100PL is a 70cm input on Mingus (south of Flag near Prescott.) I don't see a 70cm Elden rimlink frequency, but they do have a non-linked repeater.

Given where you're expected to be Elden and Mingus repeaters will be your best bet.

If you go further south from the canyon then Metrolink comes into play, but it's largely a central AZ/Phoenix area system. There's a Mingus node for Metrolink on 146.82 MHz 162.2 PL that you may be able to hit.

ARA repeater listing. Note there are other repeaters other than ARA but they're the largest organization in the state.

The national simplex calling frequency at 146.52 MHz has a lot of traffic, it's busier than most repeaters in the Phoenix area and is active daily where I'm at in Prescott, I can't say for Flag but I'd imagine it's similar.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Rimlink is the one to be on. It's one of the larger interlinked repeater networks in Arizona and has a site on Mt. Elden, which is one of the highest mountains in AZ and it's not far from the Grand Canyon. The Elden frequency is 147.14 MHz, 162.2 PL tone. The 448.5MHz 100PL is a 70cm input on Mingus (south of Flag near Prescott.) I don't see a 70cm Elden rimlink frequency, but they do have a non-linked repeater.

Given where you're expected to be Elden and Mingus repeaters will be your best bet.

If you go further south from the canyon then Metrolink comes into play, but it's largely a central AZ/Phoenix area system. There's a Mingus node for Metrolink on 146.82 MHz 162.2 PL that you may be able to hit.

ARA repeater listing. Note there are other repeaters other than ARA but they're the largest organization in the state.

The national simplex calling frequency at 146.52 MHz has a lot of traffic, it's busier than most repeaters in the Phoenix area and is active daily where I'm at in Prescott, I can't say for Flag but I'd imagine it's similar.
View Quote

Thank-you, Greatly!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top