Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2023 9:00:34 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Looking for advice from someone who recently shipped ammo or maybe from FFL.

How would I go about shipping ammo from my house in CT to my house in FL?
I have CT and FL permit to carry.

I took a day off at work and flew to CT for a long weekend. Packed up all of my ammo according to instructions on UPS website. Drove to UPS Customer Center (not a store, the actual distribution center) and asked for help printing labels. UPS employee asked me what I'm shipping, and I said ammo to my house in FL. She said they don't ship ammo anymore and to try it at a gun store. I was a bit confused here because their website states otherwise, but it wasn't a place for me to argue.
Went to my local gunstore and they said to try FedEx. I stopped at FedEx and they also don't ship ammo.

How can I ship my own ammo to myself in Florida? I will be permanently gone from CT by end of summer, so would like to get it done.

Can't just drive it down, my personal vehicle is already in Florida.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The person was wrong. Print the label at your house, slap it on, and drop it off at a different UPS distribution center. You'll also need the proper HAZMAT label (you can print it off and tape it on as well).

Take a copy of the UPS regulations with you. If they try to raise a stink, escalate.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The person was wrong. Print the label at your house, slap it on, and drop it off at a different UPS distribution center. You'll also need the proper HAZMAT label (you can print it off and tape it on as well).

Take a copy of the UPS regulations with you. If they try to raise a stink, escalate.
View Quote

Thanks.

That's the hazmat label I used as per the UPS website. I will try again next time I'm in CT.

Would it make more sense to just schedule a UPS pickup at my CT house?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC ammunition must be delivered to a distribution center directly per UPS.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like I will need to take another PTO. Every single UPS customer distribution center in CT is only open Mon-Fri .
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sounds like I will need to take another PTO. Every single UPS customer distribution center in CT is only open Mon-Fri .
View Quote

No one could drop it off for you? How much ammo we talking?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No one could drop it off for you? How much ammo we talking?
View Quote

It's only a few cases, so nothing too crazy. I'm planning to go to CT next month anyways, so going to take care of it then.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Just put it in the car and drive it to Florida.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't be the first time someone at a UPS distribution center didn't follow their own guidelines. UPS does apparently indicate the "package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg)".

UPS: How To Ship Ammunition
Getting Your Ammunition Shipment to UPS
Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).

Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.

Domestic cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth in the above guidelines and UPS Terms) may be delivered by UPS to a third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Caveat to that @sbhaven is that I've had UPS refuse to coordinate pick up for ammunition, so while it's something they claim to do I believe that's geared towards commercial accounts where a truck will do a dedicated pick up run for HAZMAT. I just go to the source and drop it off - no hassle. And again, take a copy of their policies and if they refuse then escalate to the site manager - but I haven't had that happen to me because I just show up with the box labeled and hand it over.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be the first time someone at a UPS distribution center didn't follow their own guidelines. UPS does apparently indicate the "package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg)".

Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).

Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.

Domestic cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth in the above guidelines and UPS Terms) may be delivered by UPS to a third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/hazardous-materials-guide/how-to-ship-ammunition.page

Special Procedures for Shipping Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)
UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition that constitutes as "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.
Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous Materials), and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. To meet the exception for Limited Quantity, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

To qualify as Cartridges, small arms "Limited Quantity", ammunition must be:

Ammunition that does not exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8 gauge for shotgun shells; or Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition

Important Additional Information

Ammunition may not be packaged with firearms
Ammunition may not be shipped to individuals under the age of 18
Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally
UPS Services for Your Ammunition Shipment
To meet the exception for “Limited Quantity,” ammunition can only be shipped via UPS Ground within the 48 contiguous states, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and UPS Ground Intra-Alaska. Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally. Shipping papers are not required.

Only the standard shipping charges apply when shipping ammunition. There are no "accessorial" or additional charges.

Shipments of ammunition with other UPS services must be prepared as a fully regulated hazardous material and are available only on a contractual basis.

To qualify as cartridges, small arms "Limited Quantity," ammunition must meet the following criteria:

Ammunition cannot exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8-gauge for shotgun shells
Ammunition can be inert projectiles (blank ammunition)
The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg)
The shipper must comply with and ensure that each shipment containing ammunition complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Packing Requirements for Ammunition
Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. Part 172, et seq. regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.

All ammunition must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Ammunition must be packed with internal boxes or partitioning or in metal clips. The internal boxes, partitions or clips must fit snugly into the external packaging that is securely closed so that it cannot open during transportation

Labeling Requirements for Ammunition
All qualified packages that meet the definition of cartridges, small arms must be marked with the Hazardous Materials label for Limited Quantity.

The black-and-white Limited Quantity marking (approximately 4 in. by 4 in.) must be securely affixed to the package as a "square on point" or "diamond," as shown.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/hazardous-materials-guide/how-to-ship-ammunition.page

View Quote

I followed exact directions. As a matter of fact, cases are only 15-20lbs as I didn't want to pack heavy. Everything is nice and tight. I will pay online and get labels printed. Fingers crossed there are no issues next time. Definitely going to drive to another UPS Customer Center.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I did it from my work put the black and white diamond on it and never said anything
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did it from my work put the black and white diamond on it and never said anything
View Quote

Yup. I print the label and stick it, along with the ORM-D sticker, to the box. This gets dropped-off at a UPS hub, on my way home from work. I walk in, set on counter, say yes/no to receipt, and walk out.

The one time I shipped a bunch of ammo (several cases), I made sure they topped-out at 60lbs/ea and followed the same procedure as above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top