Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2022 1:26:47 PM EDT
Question for you all,

Looking to make a faux trench gun for myself.  Using a Western field, not a Stevens 520 so no one thinks I am trying to pull a fast one.

Anyway, want to get it and the shield parkarized, but worried that it might not fit together again as the park is .002 or so thickness.  It is already, with just bluing is pretty tight fit up and any dirt it will not slide back together.

So maybe Cerakote is the right answer, any one ever done this on a fit up like this?

If the park might work any places around STL you would recommend or should I send out to one of the bigger places?  

STL has a few places for Cerakoteing.

Here are some pics, some pretty neat machining for the 1930’s

Thanks,
https://imgur.com/a/sYHcTEk
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have nothing of value to add but please post pics when it's done, looks like it will be a sweet gun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
First one that I did I blued just for that classic look. Doing another one now that I'm considering cerakote the whole gun once done.
I don't know how the bayonet mount attaches on a Steven's, but on the Winchester it's split up the bottom & clamps around the vrrel with 3 screws. If the Steven's is the same or similar, I'd just put a flat blade screw driver in that split & spread it out a bit to get more clearance for installation.  The screws will draw it back together & clamp it tightto the barrel.  

Since I'm a dumbass & didn't notice the image link. Remove the screws & spread it some. It looks like it came from East Taylor llc. If so, be warned. Those screw are pure junk. Soft as heck & will deform / strip out quicker than shit. Replace if at all possible.  The pictured one worked out great. Second one has been a bitch. The heatshield part of it is all wrong & flimsy. Had to remove it & am making a new one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the place I ordered it from, took 5 months to get it, looks hand made.

https://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/Stevens_trench.html

must be the same place as there are not to many making this part.

will look for some new screws, believe they would have been slot head at this time?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yuppers,  same place & 5 months is about right. Took me 1 day shy of 6 months. The owner is super nice, but seems to be overwhelmed.

Slot screws are correct.  I have been told that the rear band screw for a 1903 Springfield will work for originals. I haven't personally tried them on these reproductions. I went to Menards and dug through the bolt bins for replacements.

If you've not found a bayonet yet, pay more for an original.  I never found a reproduction that didn't look like ass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First one that I did I blued just for that classic look. Doing another one now that I'm considering cerakote the whole gun once done.
I don't know how the bayonet mount attaches on a Steven's, but on the Winchester it's split up the bottom & clamps around the vrrel with 3 screws. If the Steven's is the same or similar, I'd just put a flat blade screw driver in that split & spread it out a bit to get more clearance for installation.  The screws will draw it back together & clamp it tightto the barrel.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239279/Resized_20211225_164640-2237001.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239279/Resized_20211225_164654_1_-2237002.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239279/Resized_20211224_090515-2399884.jpg

Since I'm a dumbass & didn't notice the image link. Remove the screws & spread it some. It looks like it came from East Taylor llc. If so, be warned. Those screw are pure junk. Soft as heck & will deform / strip out quicker than shit. Replace if at all possible.  The pictured one worked out great. Second one has been a bitch. The heatshield part of it is all wrong & flimsy. Had to remove it & am making a new one.
View Quote

I love the look of the shotgun, the natural wear really is sharp.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had good results with the brownells aluma-hyde II product on multiple guns.

I got this Remington Model 11 with most of the finish rubbed off. It was the first gun I used the product on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top