Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2017 4:44:05 PM EDT
To all the tree-hugin freaks who think they're saving the planet by banning plastic shopping bags,

My 85 year old dad went on a shopping trip to the Wal-Mart in Brunswick today.

The Holiday rush caused the store to be completely out of their branded 5 cent paper bags so my dad and I both had a small arm-load of groceries headed back to my car.

I've felt ridiculous carrying groceries lose back to my car ever since the town hippies shoved the bag-ban law down everyone's throats. This ridiculous inconvenience turned much

more serious this afternoon after my dad fell in the icy slush. Just a scape on his hand and soaked clothes but I should not have had both of my hands full of groceries and my dad should

have had both of his hands available to steady himself.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Next time I'd ask to have a clerk help carry your groceries out and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure they would send one to help.

It wouldn't help for carrying groceries into the house, but maybe could've used a cart to get them out of the store to your car.

Sorry to hear about your dads scrape, I hope he recovers quick with no problems.

And 5 cents a bag is so ridiculous, it's a lousy plastic bag
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the kind and thoughtful reply.

Had to give a little chuckle at the clerk helping. Most clerks (when and you're lucky enough to find one) at most Wal-Marts are less steady on their feet than my dad.

I swear the %#@! hippies are trying their best to kill-off the human race one at a time and in as slow and painful and annoying manner as possible.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Heck, the walmarts I go to have plastic bags but half the time you are lucky to make it into the house before the damned thing rips open. I think they purposely make them so thin they will biodegrade within 12 hours.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn straight on the lousy plastic.

The moronic hippies that I've ever encountered and work with (I'm a maintenance man for a large retail chain) and I work with some very likeable hippies but they have

it in their heads and hearts that plastic is evil and scientific fact that the vast majority of plastic shopping bags are formulated with soy and corn oil and will rapidly

bio-degrade within a few months in the open elements.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Bag law?

What is this Southern Maine (Northern Massachusetts) witchery?

I double bag everything in plastic at Wal-Mart and use them as packing material when I ship stuff out.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Good morning,

The "Bag Law" came into effect in Brunswick (home of the hippie collage Bowdoin) April 1, of this year.

No retail establishment shall offer for carry-out packaging any type of plastic container or bag, paper/cardboard is allowed.

I hear that that the town of Belfast has, or is about to have, a very or same law.

The moronic (and it is extremely hard to find a smart hippie) hippies have it in their earth-saving religious belief system that banning plastic shopping bags

will in some way "save the planet."

What these latte soaked, hemp slippered feet, marijuana brain fried fools fail to realize is that shoppers now make several trips per week to the store completely

unnecessarily, burning various fossil fuels, putting more wear and tear on their vehicles, chewing up the roads all because they forgot to put their their hippie-approved hemp bags

in the car.

Or they make more trips to the store because they only purchase a few easily carried by hand items at a time.

So not only are these moronic hippies actively doing more "harm" to the planet, but they're also royaly pissing everybody off in the process!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Kennebunk has this same law. I travel to biddeford to shop now because of it. The paper bags at Hannaford are made out of tissue paper. Always tear and your groceries end up in the driveway. If I run in to grab a few things I end up bitching for hours about the shitty bags to my wife.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
And I seriously doubt that those tree-huggin idiots don't have a clue as just how little petroleum and energy, if any petroleum nowadays, goes into a single-use shopping bag.

These hippies see the world filtered by their hippie parents and their hippie teachers then their hippie professors. Being a proper hippie becomes a religious way of life.

The hippie outlook on life and interaction with non-believers throws commonsense out the window, and makes them very defensive when questioned and whenever these people

are met with any push-back or resistance what-so-ever they are very good at infiltrating and playing the local government like a fiddle.

These are the same people who DRIVE to an oil refinery protest.

I remember these people making fools out themselves getting arrested crashing the gates while protesting the building of Seabrooke Nuclear Facility in New Hampshire. Then they get bailed-out and

go home and watch their foolish selves on television sets powered by other nuclear plants in the northeast.

These are the same hippies blowing-up licensed hydro-electric dams owned by paper mills and voiding their legal contracts to provide power so that the natural flow of the rivers can

flood people's homes. Cheap and clean electricity is thrown away for no other reason than hippies are stupid.

The Canadians laugh their asses off at us when we blow-up our own dams and turnaround and buy Canadian power generated on their rivers.

The Canadian fishermen laugh their asses off at us Americans and Mainers in particular for having hippies run our marine resources and put thousands of fishermen out of business. And for

no other reason than those hippie biologists fail to realize just how vast the Atlantic Ocean happens to be and that fish tend move around in it. Just because a single hippie biologist, on a

single day, in one spot drops a bucket and analyzes that one sample puts thousands of fishermen out of work is insane and the Canadian fishermen are laughing all the way to their banks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top