Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2021 8:32:54 PM EDT
So I’m moving to VA in a month or so. What is the best way to drive them cross country?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of variables. What are going to be driving? How many guns? How's the rest of your stuff getting there?

ETA- Or are you just asking what route you should take?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m driving my personal car. We already know the route and have hotels already booked. And it’s only 4 handguns. My stuff is getting taken by a moving company and they won’t ship the guns with my stuff.

I already have them in a locked case and the ammo will be in a locked case in another car.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Unloaded locked in your trunk. Do not stop in any state where they are banned. You have some protection (good luck though) traveling through, but once you stop for the night it seems you lose them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unloaded locked in your trunk. Do not stop in any state where they are banned. You have some protection (good luck though) traveling through, but once you stop for the night it seems you lose them.
View Quote

I would probably take them into the hotels at night. But we’re going through Montana,South Dakota,Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, ending in Virginia.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would probably take them into the hotels at night. But we're going through Montana,South Dakota,Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, ending in Virginia.
View Quote

Fixed it

Illinois is the big one to avoid stopping in. You're legally allowed to drive through it but mind your Ps and Qs and don't stop for the night

Anything you can lock them in can easily be stolen and cut into. Better to put them in a diaper bag, NPR tote, something that says 'Whole Foods' on it and walk around like it's nothing
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Simple, I just moved from N. Carolina to Washington State, brought over 20,
Unload all of them.
If bringing ammo, separate case
Since you have only 4 hand guns
bring them in the hotel in an non looking gun case, still unloaded.
You are traveling and not residing so the same rules do not apply about not having them on you in an un-firearm friendly state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top