Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2022 6:39:40 PM EDT
Hello fiends!

Traveling to Louisville in the first part of April for a Tech Conference. Will be staying at the Marriott downtown. Last time I was in Louisville was 1997 for a college competition. Had a good time.
I like to get out and see things via foot when I travel for work.

- How is this area for walking around, safe for a 50-year-old normal looking dude? I'm from the Portland area so don't sugar coat it.
- Anything I need to see? I will have Monday and Friday open in addition to my evenings.

Appreciate any info you might have.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been a couple years since I've worked down there and it has gotten worse since then but you would generally be fine in the day time.  Night time I wouldn't be taking any long walks by myself. There really isn't that much downtown to see.  There are some decent restaurants and 4th street live would have bars/clubs.  

What type of things would you want to see?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just like to walk the cities. I've been traveling for work since 1995 all over the US and Europe. I'll stick to daylight walks and can hit the treadmill in the early AM.
Dinner will mostly be at the conference itself as I'll be interacting with young engineers and peers from throughout our divisions.

I sort of thought what you replied... common sense prevails.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
There are several museums downtown - Louisville Slugger, Frazier, Ali Center - that are decent. Depending on the weather, Waterfront Park is pretty nice for walking during the day, especially an old railroad bridge across the Ohio River that has been converted to a pedestrian bridge. The Indiana side of the bridge is much nicer than the Louisville side - lots of shops and restaurants.

Big Four Bridge

Frazier Museum

Ali Center

Louisville Slugger Museum
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are into historic buildings there are many downtown that you can easily walk past.  That area would be from first to eight street closer towards the river.  The Louisville Metro Hall on W Jefferson between 5th and 6th street is an impressive structure.  There is a little park around it.

There is a foot bridge across the Ohio River.  You will have to walk along the water front park to get to it.  

The lobby of the Hyatt Regency at 4th street and W. Jefferson is impressive.  It is all open space to the top of the 18 story building.  One impressive thing that happens there every year is the during the Kentucky All State Choir competition the students stay there and come out every night to sing the National Anthem.  That has already happened for this year so it will just be a neat building to look at.  

Looking up.

Video of the National Anthem.

Kentucky All State Choir - National Anthem - 2019

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. All noted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top